Second Referendum

Bulletguy

The mists are beginning to clear.

A Final Say vote before the end of 2020 is a “probability rather a possibility,” according to William Hill. It is the first bookie to give a second referendum a greater than 50 per cent chance of happening.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-second-referendum-odds-likelihood-bookmakers-william-hill-peoples-vote-final-say-a8685616.html

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-16 4:58 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-16 4:50 PM

2020 8-) .........

The EU is sounding more like the "Hotel California" every day *-) ........

You're drinking again. It's UK trying to 'check out and leave'.....not the EU.

Semantics Bullet *-) .........

For clarity of my analogy......... the EU is the hotel and we are trying to leave ;-) ........

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2018-12-16 5:04 PM

I doubt if I’m the only one who doesn’t know the lyrics well enough to understand the point you are making ...so. .?

Snowie

Last thing I remember, I was

Running for the door

I had to find the passage back to the place I was before

'Relax' said the night man,

'We are programmed to receive.

You can check out any time you like,

But you can never leave!'

;-) .........

I doubt if I’m the only one who doesn’t know the lyrics well enough to understand the point you are making ...so. .?

Snowie

Through his alcohol fueled haze he's trying to suggest the EU won't 'let' UK leave and hearing this about a second referendum has sent him into a state of manic depression! (lol)

One of best posts i saw on another forum sums up how UK has gone about this. Quite witty but also close to truth!

UK 'Hi we'd like to leave"

EU "OK"

UK "But we want some of the benefits we had by remaining"

EU "Ok, we have some models of that already, and we could repeat most of those"

UK "Nope we want a bespoke model"

EU " That's not our preferred option, but we are listening"

UK "We would like bit of SM, bits of CU, but no rules or ECJ, or ongoing contributions, and definitely no FoM"

EU " Have you even looked at those other models"

UK "Err no, we want entirely bespoke, so we get what we want and you cave in - Understand?"

EU " You're new at this aren't you? Tell you what, we'll agree to reshape our nearest model, but you need to assure us you won't try to dump on RoI"

UK "This is intolerable, you are making this impossible"

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-16 6:25 PM

Snowie

Through his alcohol fueled haze he's trying to suggest the EU won't 'let' UK leave and hearing this about a second referendum has sent him into a state of manic depression! (lol)

One of best posts i saw on another forum sums up how UK has gone about this. Quite witty but also close to truth!

UK 'Hi we'd like to leave"

EU "OK".....But we want 39 Billion

UK .......What do we get for that?

EU .......You can buy our products

UK....... "Nope we want a bespoke model"

EU " That's not our preferred option, but we are listening"

UK ........How about a Common Market?

EU .......LOL that's how we got you suckers to sign up in 74

UK ......Which is why we want to leave

Sorted that for you Bullet >:-) .......

Well I don’t think it’s a very good analogy really.

A hotel stay is a short term contract, where a decent nights sleep and an ok breakfast is all it needs to pass muster.

A 44 year stay means you get on pretty well with the neighbours, play your part in the local community, bring your kids up in that environment and look forward, happy with your original decision.

One night stands don’t figure.

Granted, some people move house every few years, but most of us aren’t so restless.

Snowie

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2018-12-16 7:59 PM

A hotel stay is a short term contract, where a decent nights sleep and an ok breakfast is all it needs to pass muster.

A 44 year stay means you get on pretty well with the neighbours, play your part in the local community, bring your kids up in that environment and look forward, happy with your original decision.

Granted, some people move house every few years, but most of us aren’t so restless.

Snowie

You've not been to Boston for a while then? :-| ..............

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2018-12-16 8:14 PM

Possibly more recently than you,

Snowie

Probably as I last went through in June last year ;-) .........

Would you want to live there? :D ........

pelmetman - 2018-12-16 8:20 PM

Snowie

No idea, I live where I do for lots of reasons, and I’ve been here for about 33 years now.

Would I move further out into the wilds of Lincolnshire; not with a Conservative government in office, and the success of UKIP would discourage me.

Places like Lincolnshire just don’t need Brexit, we need government that is not ideologically committed to eradicating public spending, and fostering the “cult” of self-interest.

Well good luck to you, in Boston or Calpe.

I hope you or health is good, now and into the future. (That said, my experience of healthcare, short term, in Spain is very good [ whilst in EU ] )

Have a good Xmas

Snowie

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2018-12-16 8:40 PM

Snowie

No idea, I live where I do for lots of reasons, and I’ve been here for about 33 years now.

Would I move further out into the wilds of Lincolnshire; not with a Conservative government in office, and the success of UKIP would discourage me.

Places like Lincolnshire just don’t need Brexit, we need government that is not ideologically committed to eradicating public spending, and fostering the “cult” of self-interest.

I hope you or health is good, now and into the future. (That said, my experience of healthcare, short term, in Spain is very good [ whilst in EU ] )

Have a good Xmas

Snowie

We were in the wilds of Lincolnshire for 12 years ;-) .......the longest we've ever lived anywhere 8-) .........

We down sized from a 3 bed detached house in the wilds .....to a three bed detached house with a much smaller garden, in Spilsby on a bus route to two hospitals :-| ........

Er in doors worries about me :D ......

It's currently rented and the powers that be has yet to decide whether I will live there :-S .......

snowie - 2018-12-16 8:40 PM

Snowie

Have a good Xmas

Snowie

Ive had healthcare outside of the EU ... Which i have to say was very good ... Travel insurance works the world over

pelmetman - 2018-12-16 8:51

We were in the wilds of Lincolnshire for 12 years ;-) .......the longest we've ever lived anywhere 8-) .........

We down sized from a 3 bed detached house in the wilds .....to a three bed detached house with a much smaller garden, in Spilsby on a bus route to two hospitals :-| ........

It's currently rented and the powers that be has yet to decide whether I will live there :-S .......

Ok; I don’t think it’s possible to split this thread, partly because this forum is not adjudicated, but it would be better moved on to, say"........So how do you feel about paying tax on house sales?

You see I think it would be a very positive move.

Less “Englishman’s home is his castle” more, “Englishman’s home is his biggest untaxed asset””

Move every 2 or 3 years, and you pay tax on the increase in value of that asset, stay put, and ok, we also pay, but on some carefully crafted formula.

I think it would make house prices more affordable to our kids, and might encourage people to stay a little longer, obviously subject to all sorts of reasons why people move out of an area.

I suppose some people might resent being “encouraged” to stay in an area, but communities might benefit from a bit less churn?

Sorry if this can’t be split off, but sometimes threads raise multiple issues

Snowie

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2018-12-16 9:09 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-16 8:51

Ok; I don’t think it’s possible to split this thread, partly because this forum is not adjudicated, but it would be better moved on to, say"........So how do you feel about paying tax on house sales?

You see I think it would be a very positive move.

Less “Englishman’s home is his castle” more, “Englishman’s home is his biggest untaxed asset””

Move every 2 or 3 years, and you pay tax on the increase in value of that asset, stay put, and ok, we also pay, but on some carefully crafted formula.

I think it would make house prices more affordable to our kids, and might encourage people to stay a little longer, obviously subject to all sorts of reasons why people move out of an area.

I suppose some people might resent being “encouraged” to stay in an area, but communities might benefit from a bit less churn?

Snowie

Untaxed? 8-) .........Do you not pay rates on the size of your property? ;-) .........

Believe me Lincolnshire is cheap compared to Dorset 8-) .........

Guest pelmetman

Snowie

It can ;-) ......You just need to delete the other stuff and do a separate post :D .......

Guest pelmetman

Those taxes already exist ;-) .........

They're called stamp duty.......capital gains tax.......inheritance tax :D .......

pelmetman - 2018-12-16 8:07 PM

snowie - 2018-12-16 7:59 PM

Snowie

You've not been to Boston for a while then? :-| ..............

This chap is from Lincolnshire and lived in Boston for almost nine years.....did you?

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/boston-2.html

Guest pelmetman

I think it would make house prices more affordable to our kids,

Your kids cant afford a house in Lincolnshire? 8-) .........

Do they not work? :-S ........

pelmetman - 2018-12-16 9:37 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-12-16 9:28 PM

This chap is from Lincolnshire and lived in Boston for almost nine years.....did you?

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/boston-2.html

Nope ;-) ........

Did you read your link before posting? (lol) .........

Alllll the way through. The third para in particular was very interesting. (lol)

Meantime.....back on thread topic.

Archived