See you in Court Johnson

Bulletguy

Sir John Major made an unprecedented threat today to take Boris Johnson to court to stop him dragging the Queen into a Brexit storm. The former prime minister said he was prepared to lead an application for judicial review if the next PM attempts to suspend Parliament.

Mr Johnson has repeatedly refused to rule out asking the Queen to prorogue, or suspend, Parliament, a situation that would prevent MPs from voting against him crashing the country out of the European Union on no-deal terms on October 31.

Senior lawyers backed Sir John, who led the Tories to victory at the 1992 general election, saying they believed such a landmark case could be successful.

Brexiteers have suggested the device could be used to prevent MPs from voting in the crucial run-up to the next deadline for a withdrawal agreement, an idea that Mr Johnson has conspicuously refused to take off the table as a way of beating the cross-party majority of senior MPs who are on standby to vote against a no-deal Brexit.

Johnson defended his refusal to rule out using the device during last night’s TV debate. He said: “I’m not going to take anything off the table, any more than I’m going to take no-deal off the table.

"I think it’s absolutely bizarre at this stage in the negotiations for the UK yet again to be weakening its own position.”

Leadership rival Jeremy Hunt warned: “When that has happened in the past, when Parliament has been shut down against its will, we had a civil war.”

Serious stuff. If Johnson succeeded in proroguing parliament, he can basically do whatever he likes as PM, with no checks and balances.

https://tinyurl.com/y6tsfbo8

Barryd999 - 2019-07-11 10:21 AM

I actually dont hate Boris. I think he is quite funny.

I don't think he's funny. His clowning around may amuse some but the place for that is tv comedy shows, not being involved in making life changing decisions which affects millions of people.

His endless gaffes, inability to commit and conduct himself professionally, has led to Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe spending the past three years in prison, and more recently, a British Ambassador forced to resign for doing his job.....something Johnson seems incapable of even when he was a *so called* motoring journalist....too idle to report factually so made stuff up.

Sir John Major makes a valid and extremely important point, the detail of which appears to have gone over the heads of some folk. It's a very serious matter.

Bulletguy - 2019-07-11 2:38 PM

I actually dont hate Boris. I think he is quite funny.

I don't think he's funny. His clowning around may amuse some but the place for that is tv comedy shows, not being involved in making life changing decisions which affects millions of people.

His endless gaffes, inability to commit and conduct himself professionally, has led to Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe spending the past three years in prison, and more recently, a British Ambassador forced to resign for doing his job.....something Johnson seems incapable of even when he was a *so called* motoring journalist....too idle to report factually so made stuff up.

Sir John Major makes a valid and extremely important point, the detail of which appears to have gone over the heads of some folk. It's a very serious matter.

Well that was kind of my point. He is to be laughed so he is funny but its not funny he is going to be our PM.

I actually dont hate Boris. I think he is quite funny. You and Dave can be quite funny though but Im not sure either of you should be in charge of the country.

You do hate Boris just like you hate Mr Farage and POTUS Trump ... Ive seen the stuff on another place you say about Boris and it certainly aint full of affection ... Hate eats away at one Barry

Birdbrain - 2019-07-11 6:09 PM

I actually dont hate Boris. I think he is quite funny. You and Dave can be quite funny though but Im not sure either of you should be in charge of the country.

You do hate Boris just like you hate Mr Farage and POTUS Trump ... Ive seen the stuff on another place you say about Boris and it certainly aint full of affection ... Hate eats away at one Barry

"Another place"? Are you stalking me? 8-)

I dont hate Boris. I think he is a buffoon and a self serving lying pillock but thats not hate. Hate suggests deep anger and personal loathing. He is going to be our next PM, I think thats as mad as a box of frogs but feck all I Can do about it apart from point how bonkers it all is and take the pish. Maybe your definition of hate is different to mine.

Archived