Sexual harassment/assault allegations - named in HoC

Bulletguy

As much as i despise the man i don't like the way this is going as there is far too much of 'guilty until proved innocent' from the #metoo campaigners. Apparently a 'high profile' businessman took out a non-disclosure order (NDA) this week banning The Telegraph from publishing allegations of sexual assault made against him.

Sir Alan Sugar and Duncan Bannatyne hit out after trolls named them on Twitter.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/25/lord-sugar-duncan-bannatyne-deny-businessman-behind-gagging/

But now Peter Hain MP has used parliamentary privilege to name Sir Phillip Green.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45981436

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were to have a vote I am sure the public would be overwhelmingly in favour of not allowing the very rich to buy silence, where the rest of us could not.

So it really hinges on what the judiciary is for.

Is the judiciary to represent the public?

Or is it just to defend the Establishment who appoints and pays them. (with our money)?

John52 - 2018-10-26 12:18 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-25 4:13 PM

there is far too much of 'guilty until proved innocent' from the #metoo campaigners.

That may be so.

But if we are going to have anonynimity lets have it for everybody.

Not just for those with deep pockets.

Agree John, anonymity where necessary should be provided legally through a court of law. As for cost, i was surprised to find NDA's cost between £200 - 600 which is pretty cheap, eg you can easily run up five times that amount (and more!) with a decent divorce solicitor.

It seems they were (are) primarily set up for business purpose and not what most associate them with.

https://www.independent.co.uk/student/young-entrepreneurs/nd-eh-should-you-get-a-non-disclosure-agreement-for-your-big-idea-2288728.html

https://www.lawbite.co.uk/business-contract-checking/NDA

I don't agree with what Hain did as i can't support 'guilt until proven innocent' which turns law and due process on it's head and can easily result in a case collapsing (assuming one is forthcoming) so the complainant does not get justice and the defendant who may well have been guilty of the offence/s, walking away.

The problem is our justice system is at breaking point as pointed out by the lawyer who was about to prosecute Liam Allan.....over a false allegation of rape. He had his good character torn to shreds and turned upside, but his accuser walked away with life long anonymity despite having perjured herself. That cannot be right.

Bulletguy - 2018-10-26 3:30 PM

there is far too much of 'guilty until proved innocent' from the #metoo campaigners.

That may be so.

Agree John, anonymity where necessary should be provided legally through a court of law. As for cost, i was surprised to find NDA's cost between £200 - 600 which is pretty cheap, eg you can easily run up five times that amount (and more!) with a decent divorce solicitor.

It seems they were (are) primarily set up for business purpose and not what most associate them with.

https://www.independent.co.uk/student/young-entrepreneurs/nd-eh-should-you-get-a-non-disclosure-agreement-for-your-big-idea-2288728.html

I don't agree with what Hain did as i can't support 'guilt until proven innocent' which turns law and due process on it's head and can easily result in a case collapsing (assuming one is forthcoming) so the complainant does not get justice and the defendant who may well have been guilty of the offence/s, walking away.

The problem is our justice system is at breaking point as pointed out by the lawyer who was about to prosecute Liam Allan.....over a false allegation of rape. He had his good character torn to shreds and turned upside, but his accuser walked away with life long anonymity despite having perjured herself. That cannot be right.

Telegraph said

"substantial sums" were paid to five members of Sir Philip's staff in settlement agreements which included a legal commitment not to discuss their alleged experiences. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45989404

And he's been to the High Court and on to Appeal - so obviously spent more than most people could afford.

Especially if NDA's have been done for all his Arcadia staff?

John52 - 2018-10-26 8:24 PM

That may be so.

Telegraph said

"substantial sums" were paid to five members of Sir Philip's staff in settlement agreements which included a legal commitment not to discuss their alleged experiences. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45989404

And he's been to the High Court and on to Appeal - so obviously spent more than most people could afford.

There were two reports on Channel 4 news tonight John which echo my thoughts.

https://www.channel4.com/news/hain-criticised-for-naming-green-in-parliament

https://www.channel4.com/news/dominic-grieve-qc-mp-on-lord-hain-criticism

Personally i dislike the man immensely. He's an arrogant swaggering bullish bigheaded narcissist with a penchant for young, leggy, blonde model types that always seem to hang around him.....can't think why but it certainly isn't good looks or physique! ;-)

Remind you of anyone? ;-)

Well during the past 48hrs there has been plenty of coverage of this issue and there are clearly conflicting views about whether Lord Hain was justified in naming Phillip Green.  The lawyers are all warning of the dangers of interfering with due process in a court but the liberal/leftie political activist opinion seems to be pride in Lord Hains's initiative - often couched in terms implying that simply because Phillip Green is rich, he's not entitled to any protection from accusers so it's right to scupper his legal action.

Trial by TV or by social media seems to gaining sway over due process and the rule of law.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-10-26 8:42 PM

That may be so.

Telegraph said

Personally i dislike the man immensely. He's an arrogant swaggering bullish bigheaded narcissist with a penchant for young, leggy, blonde model types that always seem to hang around him.....can't think why but it certainly isn't good looks or physique! ;-)

Yeah :D .......You >:-) ........

Bulletguy - 2018-10-25 4:13 PM As much as i despise the man i don't like the way this is going as there is far too much of 'guilty until proved innocent' from the #metoo campaigners. Apparently a 'high profile' businessman took out a non-disclosure order (NDA) this week banning The Telegraph from publishing allegations of sexual assault made against him. ……………………..

I agree. I think Hain has probably now made any case for assault more or less impossible, so none of the accusers have the opportunity to change their minds, pay back the pay-off, and turn to the police with any prospect of success, should they now wish to do so (don't know when these events took place, so whether they are, in any case, now out of time). Political grandstanding, I think, rather than constructive intervention. Green just gets egg on his face, but it will all blow over in a week or two and be forgotten.

Guest pelmetman

That may be so.

Lets ask the "AWKWARD" question eh? ;-) ....... Correct me if I'm wrong :-| ......

But didn't someone who signed a NDA receive a nice big wad of cash???? *-) ........

I Hate Hypocrites .......I perhaps Hate those who lacked the balls to complain the first time after they received a few hundred "K"............... even more........ *-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-10-27 5:31 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-25 4:13 PM As much as i despise the man i don't like the way this is going as there is far too much of 'guilty until proved innocent' from the #metoo campaigners. Apparently a 'high profile' businessman took out a non-disclosure order (NDA) this week banning The Telegraph from publishing allegations of sexual assault made against him. ……………………..

I agree. I think Hain has probably now made any case for assault more or less impossible, so none of the accusers have the opportunity to change their minds, pay back the pay-off, and turn to the police with any prospect of success, should they now wish to do so (don't know when these events took place, so whether they are, in any case, now out of time). Political grandstanding, I think, rather than constructive intervention. Green just gets egg on his face, but it will all blow over in a week or two and be forgotten.

Where as Mr Robinson will have his case stewed over by our establishment judiciary 8-) ..........

I doubt he'll be forgotten *-) .........

Unlike those Asian child rapists we were supposed to have deported years ago :-| ........

StuartO - 2018-10-27 4:55 PM

Trial by TV or by social media seems to gaining sway over due process and the rule of law.

And that's an extremely dangerous and foolish path to go down too. It seems to have taken a grip once the Weinstein revelations began pouring out in the media and since then the #metoo campaigners have been fanning the fire they lit without realising they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Exactly...it's achieved nothing. A nasty little man but now nobody will ever know the truth.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-10-27 6:05 PM

StuartO - 2018-10-27 4:55 PM

And that's an extremely dangerous and foolish path to go down too. It seems to have taken a grip once the Weinstein revelations began pouring out in the media and since then the #metoo campaigners have been fanning the fire they lit without realising they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Exactly...it's achieved nothing. A nasty little man but now nobody will ever know the truth.

Not with folk like you with a hide the real agenda .....agenda *-) .......

BTW when did you convert? >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-10-27 5:45 PM

Where as Mr Robinson will have his case stewed over by our establishment judiciary 8-) ..........

As has been pointed out to you many times before, he's using legal procedure in an attempt to vindicate himself......the same legal process he vilifies. Oh the irony. *-)

He was almost disappointed he hadn't got his martyrdom last week at the Old Bailey. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-10-27 6:12 PM

As has been pointed out to you many times before, he's using legal procedure in an attempt to vindicate himself......the same legal process he vilifies. Oh the irony. *-)

He was almost disappointed he hadn't got his martyrdom last week at the Old Bailey. *-)

He's using the only procedure allowed legally ;-) ......

The fact that the procedure has been hijacked by the loony lefty liberal brigade is a moot point *-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-10-27 6:23 PM...............….He's using the only procedure allowed legally ;-) ......

The fact that the procedure has been hijacked by the loony lefty liberal brigade is a moot point *-) ..........

So, what procedure should be followed instead, Dave? It is less than perfect, but it offers the opportunity to appeal, for review in the light of new evidence, and the final decision is, in the vast majority of cases, made by a group of 12 jurors selected at random, any one of whom can be objected to if bias is suspected. Do you know a better system?

pelmetman - 2018-10-27 6:23 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-27 6:12 PM

He's using the only procedure allowed legally ;-) ......

Pity he couldn't follow the procedure as clearly laid down to him by the judges warning at his previous case hearing about contempt then wasn't it?

The fact that the procedure has been hijacked by the loony lefty liberal brigade is a moot point *-) ..

Apart form that being an utter garbage statement to make.....can you link anything to back up this batty assertion? I'll save you the time because the answer is no you can't. *-)

Brian Kirby - 2018-10-27 7:53 PM

pelmetman - 2018-10-27 6:23 PM...............….He's using the only procedure allowed legally ;-) ......

So, what procedure should be followed instead, Dave? It is less than perfect, but it offers the opportunity to appeal, for review in the light of new evidence, and the final decision is, in the vast majority of cases, made by a group of 12 jurors selected at random, any one of whom can be objected to if bias is suspected. Do you know a better system?

He's still trying to dream one up through that alcohol fuelled haze frying what few cells of grey matter are left!

Bulletguy - 2018-10-26 8:42 PM

That may be so.

Telegraph said

Thats anti-Semitic ... If Dave in your eyes was anti-Semitic for saying "some rich bloke" Christ knows how racist your comment is ... Hypocrite

Guest pelmetman

Yes ;-) ........It's called natural justice :-| ........

BTW how often do serial criminals face a jury???? :-S ........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-10-27 8:49 PM

He's still trying to dream one up through that alcohol fuelled haze frying what few cells of grey matter are left!

I maybe p*ssed but I can still type and recognise a Grade A ......A hole >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-10-27 9:02 PM

Fascinating......please link to a credible source, preferably legal or government, defining precisely what 'natural justice' is. Or have you just made this up? :-|

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-10-27 9:07 PM

pelmetman - 2018-10-27 9:02 PM

Fascinating......please link to a credible source, preferably legal or government, defining precisely what 'natural justice' is. Or have you just made this up? :-|

Dont bother even looking Bullet ;-) ........

Just the thought of it would cause your left wing brain cell to implode :D .......

I don't like to be seeing as defending Green, but Hain is a complete idiot, or a liar, or maybe just after some cheap publicity.

It was a 'interim injunction', the torygraph had every opportunity to take it further with their lawyers, but no, another person employed by their lawyers (Hain), raises it in the lords, saving the torygraph a lot of money.

It appears the main reason the judges made a interim injunction was that the NDA's contained clauses which allowed the complainants to go to the authorities if there was anything illegal such as racial or sexual harassment, they choose not to.

Archived