Shaolin monks exhibition

davenewellhome

Hi everyone, just a brief note to say if ever you get the chance to see these guys perform you will not be disappointed. I went to a local martial arts gym yesterday afternoon to see the show and it was magnificent. Some of the jumps these guys make are so incredible you have to see them for yourself to believe them.

Here's a couple of photos, unfortunately I was experiencing battery problems with my flash unit so had to do most of them without flash and hand held, still I'm happy with some of them and the long exposures do give movement to the photos.

The first photo is of a guy in the middle of a high jump and multiple roll, its a bit of an abstract look to the photo but the grey blob on the right is the jumper. The second shot was done with the flash and this guy was using a chain with a small piece of coloured colth on the end. In this shot he was just about to flip back up onto his feet but just prior to this he was sat on the floor spinning the chain on the floor and "hopping" to clear the chain as it came round, he did this for a good thirty seconds and later on did the same but had another chain in his other hand spinning it above his head in the opposite direction to the one on the floor!

If you get the chance go and see them.

D.

For some strange reason it won't let me post the second photo.

970401725_Shaolin025small.jpg.55f90e72610d871160533e6cbb39f084.jpg

Where've you bin for the last week or so Ranger? I had a problem getting on from my home PC so registered under a slightly different name. The avatar came about because on another thread someone asked what Muppet you would be and as I was often referred to as Animal in my youth I chose that avatar.

D.

Ah but that's just it Donna, some of our kids can be dedicated too. There were plenty of local performers in the show too doing everything from Tai Chi through to full contact Karate and kick boxing. You don't get to black belt level without a fair bit of dedication and determination. Okay I accept this is not the same as the levles the Shaolin go to but would you have wanted to go and live on a mountain with little in the way of creature comforts just so you could follow a set path?

D.

davenewell@home - 2007-06-18 5:12 PM  Okay I accept this is not the same as the levles the Shaolin go to but would you have wanted to go and live on a mountain with little in the way of creature comforts just so you could follow a set path? D.

Dave,

Please do not treat this as a disagreement with your comments above, and apologise if I have offended you.

In Thailand, most boys go into the priesthood for a set period of time. This allows for times of reflection and to mainly pray and meditate for the rest of the world.I found this a strangely reflective and peaceful time as I knew what I'd left behind and knew that I would soon be back in the so called real world amongst my family.That's what the shaving of your hair is supposed to symbolise.And hence the custom of never touching the head of an adult.

Some boys were not as lucky as me.Some boys didn't come out as they choose this life for ever, some don't get this chance as they are given up for adoption by thier own families so they are looked after by the monks - so as not to be a strain on the poor family they may have come from. My short time spent this way has helped me in a strange way, but maybe here on an open forum is not the place to bare your soul.!!

I agree with you about dedication, but as with anything, it appears stronger in some more than in others.

Ironically, some boys will leave the monastry and take up "Muay Thai" (Thia boxing) to earn a living, this can sometimes be the only way out and off the streets for some, which makes me smile as if these examples are not of the extremes of the 2 opposite paths you can take in life, then I don't know what is. 

Sorry if I've bored you with my ramblings,

Thai

Absolutely no offence taken Brian, its nice to have some input from someone with first hand experience of this. I understand that in China, Thailand and many other countries life is quite different to what we have here. I confess to not knowing much about the way of life or how the Shaolin and others operate and I was perhaps a bit flippant with my remark about living on a mountain top but as I understand it they do give up quite a lot including the close contact of family for many, even if only for a while. Thanks for your input Brian.

D.

Dave, Howie et al

Not flippant at all - no offence was intended or meant!!

To put it back to a more "lighted hearted" theme, yes you do give up a lot, mainly good old home cooking. Why do I say this well hows this for an example.

Some days you go out into the community - on priest days ( like our saint days) - and there are a few!!. You walk bare footed and carry a bowl in front of you. People set out stalls and give food to the monks, as a offering to their departed relations.Whats wrong with that you all say at once!!

Well, what if the 1st person puts in some rice & some curry, the next person is offering some fish, next person some rice and mixed veg, next beef and fish cakes, and so it goes on and on. Don't forget that each meal is NOT in a seperate bag. So you now get back to the monastary with a rather well laden bowl of what I can best discribe as a mixture.!!!

I'll leave it all up to you to think how this tests your resolve!!! Sitting on top of a mountain contemplating life is a walk in the park compared to this ritual. More ramblings may follow if you like.

Thai

Yes please Brian, I find it very interesting to hear of other cultures, especially from a first hand source rather than some TV presenter looking for the sensationalist elements. As for the "meal" you've just described, well given the chance I'll pass but then I suppose if you're hungry enough??? :-(

D.

Only just spotted this thread - what an interesting one.

It does us all good to stop and look at ourselves in comparison to other people from time to time. Having a wide variety of input from different cultures and traditions can only be helpful.

Graham

I concur. First Dave posts something he feels may be of interest, then Brian takes it a step further by giving us his own personal experiences on the subject.

Far from "boring" us, this has prompted me to look into to the history and background of Shoalin monks. I now know the famous character "Bodhidharma" is credited with coming up "dhyana", which means contemplative concentration, or "chan" as it is known in China where bodhidarma was introduced and embraced by the Shoalin monks in the 5th century and now dominates 70% of Buddist temples.

I find nothing wrong with the manner in which food is collected by the monks, a form of nourishment employed by my wife for many years in its Western format of "brevel sandwich", but the point is that you should never hold back on your views on any given subject, and as this thread shows may even broaden our horizons even further.

Yep Thanks to dave and Brian a good insight!

Yep! I like it when your on your toes! ;-) (lol)

keep it going it's nice to read about something different and different cultures wish I could cook Thai food actually I could ask my good friend she's from taiwan

Looks like you've got a willing audience Bri, go for it mate ;-) . Were you actually with the Shaolin monks or another sect (for want of a better word)? In fact are there any other groups of monks or are the Shaolin the only ones? What religion do they actually follow? I assume it would be Budhism but don't know for sure. Is it a voluntary thing going off "up the mountain" so to speak or is it compulsory? Sorry to badger you with questions but I really do find it fascinating. As much, or as little, as you can/wish to tell us would be great.

Thanks, D.

Thank you Mel and more than a road of cobras if you you keep your breeding rugholes open.

We now all sit back and await your next posting on the history of Shoalin monks and all things oriental Brian. No pressure, but with this sort of build up make it both entertaining and educational or else, and as for Michele,s comments on Thai food, I beg you not to turn this into another thread on recipies PLEASE. 8-)

Donna,

I understand the sentiment expressed and am pleased to report on one of "our kids" who "did". My son has trained in full contact karate for 12 years. Last summer he took his Seniors black belt grading. This involved a full week of advanced group training and lots of testing every day. There was also the obligatory punching and kicking though boards, bricks and roofing tiles. The drop-out rate from physical injury or crushing of spirit was huge. The toughest test was a long series of back to back, hell for leather fights against a line up of Dan (senior) grade people including several experienced international contestants. When I went to collect him, the foyer of the sports complex looked like a casualty ward in a disaster zone. Peter passed and now teaches youngsters and adults every week. It's certainly character building and I would recommend it for young people who are interested. The only downside is I can't tell him to do anything.....

Bob

[QUOTE]davenewell@home - 2007-06-20 9:30 PM Looks like you've got a willing audience Bri, go for it mate ;-) .  As much, or as little, as you can/wish to tell us would be great. Thanks, D.

Hi All & thanks for all your encouraging comments. If ever my ramblings get boring then please say so, I won't be offended - we're not taught this.

The priesthood in Thailand is based on the teachings and way of life of Bhudda, who was actually a Prince who decided to give up all his wealth and try and find peace and harmony with the things that surround us. The Shaolin monks were a section that broke away many years ago to form their own beliefs. I can only speak in depth about my own experiences in Thailand.

The priesthood in Thailand is really learning the teachings of Bhudda and trying to follow the " 7 fold path of righteousness" .Surprisingley enough there is no set formula and how you arrive is the journey itself. Very much like we are all doing ourselves right now. We all have a goal and each one of us will get there, BUT we will each arrive at our own goals in our own way.It's the journey and what we choose to learn or ignore along the way.How many times have we all got to where we planned to camp and it's just been a rush to get there.? Do we doggedly stay on our set / safe routes or do we take another unused path to get to where we wanted to be? Most importantly have we learnt any new experiences from which we can learn on this new path??

No Dave - In Thailand it's not compulsory to enter the priesthood,but more out of respect for our parents.

By contemplating, it brings home the hardships that our parents have gone through to give us our chance in this life. Also as you enter the priesthood you leave behind your wordly goods and chattles - just like Bhudda did - so no money, no hair, no shoes,just the saffron robes that you stand up in. No modern equipment like radios, phones,or newspapers no contact with the outside world as this is seen as a distraction to the contemplation. So you enter the monastary with nothing - this is to represent how we came into this world - with nothing.

FUNNY BIT coming up!!  Just for Howie  

My "Archarn"  - Thai for Abbot / Proffesor, asked me if Winston Churchill was still the Prime Minister of England, and did not even know that there had been a World War that had ended in 1945, when I entered and this was in 1961!!!

More to follow later if you've enjoyed it so far.Sorry if I seem to have hijacked the original thread, but will stopped if asked to. I've put a new saying into my signature.

Thai

Thanks once again Brian, I don't consider it a hijack of the thread more of a natural progression and in a direction that I, and hopefully others too, can certainly learn something from. Whether that be about the Bhuddist way or a bit more about ourselves individually, its all good. I particularly liked your analogy of the journey to a camp site.

looking forward to the next installment already.

D.

Dave Newell - 2007-06-21 11:55 AM Thanks once again Brian, I don't consider it a hijack of the thread more of a natural progression and in a direction that I, and hopefully others too, can certainly learn something from. Whether that be about the Bhuddist way or a bit more about ourselves individually, its all good. I particularly liked your analogy of the journey to a camp site. looking forward to the next installment already. D.

Dave

The following should also appeal to Howie.

Glad you like it so far, here's a more humouristic view, but do not try this at home!!

In Buddhaism everything is seen as a cycle. So as it is when it's your birthday. Once you have completed 12 years we say that you've completed you first cycle and are embarking on your next cycle.This follows from the animals that represent the year of your birth.

My father being the typical Yorkshire man picked up on this very quickly.!! To save money he decided that as we were in Thailand, we should adopt this Thai / Buddhist ethos

RESULT = I only got a birthday present every 12th year!!!!

Thai

Hi Brian. My Mother often spoke to me of the "cycle of life" when I was a youngster. What goes round comes round, and the importance of sitting out the bad times and enjoying and making the most of the good times has always helped me get through the troubled times.

Something else that I believe in is that what you give is eventually what you receive. It may take time, but good deeds will always be repaid in one way or another, and bad deeds will come back with interest usually added.

Hope this stays with the thread, but another thing thats always fascinated me is the subject of mind over matter. I,ve seen quite a few examples of this first hand over the years where steel pins have been pushed through the palms of the hand and cheeks etc.with no adverse effect what so ever simply by the mind controlling the body and how it reacts.

There is the case of the American student some years ago (and sworn by all who witnessed it to be absolutly true) where as a freshman part of the initiation ceremony he went through was branding with a hot iron. Stripped to the waist he watched as a red hot iron rod was removed from the fire. This iron rod was then carried behind him, but unknown to the student was then swapped for a cold one. The result when applied was a serious burn mark to his back. True or not I believe this to be possible as I do think that under extreme circumstances the mind can overide such things all within reason of course.

No wish to put any further pressure on you Brian, and more than happy on what you have posted so far, but if you have any thoughts on this subject then fire away.

Howie

No pressure what so ever then. I'll do my best.

The cycle that we talk about in Thailand is similar to what you've described, but varies slightly as it's based on the Buddha's teachings. This says that as a life (journey) ceases it becomes another journey. We do believe in re-incarnation, and if good is done in this life, then your next should be a lot easier. I've heard many people in Thailand say, "I must have been bad in my past life" when they are having a run of bad luck.My late father's personal cycle was that he was born in the town that I now live in and passed away in Thailand near to the town that I was born in.!!

With regards to the mind over body bit, I've seen this at first hand. In Thailand there is a "Vegitarian" festival, where we all give up meat and fish and just eat as a vegitarian for 2 weeks.This is to show that we are cleansing ourselves - very much like anyone going on a "Detox" diet. In the south, where I was born, this festival also has displays of people sticking pins through both their cheeks, climbing up ladders where the rungs are made of blades, sitting on chairs that have 6" nails sticking out of them, walking slowly over burning coals.etc.etc... This is to show that by being pure in yourself you can overcome anything. The starnge thing is that soon after the festivities are over, these people show no outward signs of any scars whatsoever. Read into that what you will.!!

I was never brave enough to do this though and am not ashamed to admit either.!!!!

Hope this helps

Thai

Archived