Sharing POIs

Old Git

There seems to be some interest in sharing POIs - I've already had a couple of PM requests and others must have shared too. Most are not copyrighted, though we would need to be careful of course, but would folk be interested in pooling some of their goodies for the benefit of all?

I'm not sure of the best way to do it. Maybe if some kind person with a website would receive and upload a few, and give access for downloading? I build the things but have no interest in having my own.

What do you think?

michele - 2007-09-02 11:47 AM

Very nice of you I cant help not interested we just poodle along and go where the road takes us but I would gladly help if I understood or was interested like I said . I think its a nice idea for those of you interested in POI's. Good Luck.

Nowt wrong with poodling Michele, we do a lot of that, and thanks for your kind words.

POIs are sometimes very handy though. For example if you are in France and want to visit a particular type of shop, fancy a museum or are getting a bit desperate for fuel, a databank of POIs will instantly tell you where the nearest one is and (in theory at least!!!!) will guide you to it.

Whatever lights your fire.

Dave

I’d be interested in a ‘motorhome specific’ family of PsOI (can’t help it), but am concerned my PsOI would be PsOAB (abject boredom) to others. Rough camps and good ‘aires’ across Europe/> would be of immense interest to me.

It could all get a bit eclectic though, even with motorhoming as the central theme. I like the idea, and would be interested to see the types of Points that people on here would like to see.

As a starter, I’d personally like to see rough camps, good ‘aires’, nature reserves, picnic sites, LPG forecourts, outdoor swimming areas, and known reliable mechanics.

I would happily contribute data.

Whoops!!! Never gave "POIs" a thought Steve.

I'm not about to challenge you, but if "POI" has become an accepted abbreviation, would not the whole thing count as singular and therefore require the " 's " after the event - as it were?

I shall cheerfully defer if you disagree, as my grammatical English is largely self-taught. I suffered under a singularly useless teacher at Grammar School, and learned very little by doing endless exercises while he read his newspaper.

Those were the days.

Regards

Dave

I have downloadable PoI sets for parking places and Energas suppliers on my web site at http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/download.htm. The sets are my copyright but may be freely downloaded by anyone for personal use.

The web site also has a link to a site hosting a program for conversion between formats used by different devices.

These sites are good for general POIs - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtompoi.php and http://www.tomtomfree.com/

This one has the better Low Bridges dataset - http://www.amngps4.wanadoo.co.uk/poifil.htm. It mentions the Medion 95000 specifically but the download also includes Tom Tom OV2 files.

Graham

Thanks Graham.

I hope Dave's idea takes off. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. I have cribbed points of interest from the internet before but I've often ended up with lots of stuff that's barely relevant for MH use. Your site, and a few others, are happy exceptions.

To have a MH specific family of waypoints would be a super resource.

Dave,

Cock-ups, and yes; unless the word public is followed by lavatory. That could end badly.

The problem with anyone having a repository of POIs is keeping them up to date. (Sorry Steve, I'll follow the herd in my spelling)

Probably far better to have a page of links to useful POIs kept on other sites. For instance one of my favourites is the French aires list on http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/recherche.php#synchro which is updated monthly, or so they say.

Ralph - 2007-09-03 9:06 AM

Probably far better to have a page of links to useful POIs kept on other sites.

That makes a lot of sense Ralph. Interested parties could then grab the URLs and put them into their "Favourites". Graham (GJH) has already started us off - thanks both of you. (I can add a few too. Haven't heard from Way2Go but he'll have plenty.)

What about starting a new thread, and threatening the likes of me (guilty as charged :$ :$ :$ :$ ) to leave it simply for listing URLs - and NOT for general chit-chat. Some folk are irritated by the drivel that we others find an amusing diversion, and in fairness to them perhaps we should behave ourselves and simply add URLs to the list without too many comments attached.

Does this sound OK - thanks again Ralph for the joined-up thinking.

Regards

Dave

Archived