She's So Priti ...

Birdbrain

Silly Mare. I bet she only found out who he is after that incident. Or maybe she still doesnt know who he is which would be even more fun.

There have been campaigns to get that statue removed for decades. Celebrating the life of a Slaver and murderer who threw thousands of people into the sea and sold tens of thousands on into a life of slavery. Is that really something Bristol is proud of? I suppose one good thing is its maybe taught a lot of people more about Slavery and our unsavoury past in one day than the history books have. My bet is it wont go back up.

Barryd999 - 2020-06-08 11:15 AM

Silly Mare. I bet she only found out who he is after that incident. Or maybe she still doesnt know who he is which would be even more fun.

There have been campaigns to get that statue removed for decades. Celebrating the life of a Slaver and murderer who threw thousands of people into the sea and sold tens of thousands on into a life of slavery. Is that really something Bristol is proud of? I suppose one good thing is its maybe taught a lot of people more about Slavery and our unsavoury past in one day than the history books have. My bet is it wont go back up.

Thats alright then , she's a "Silly Mare" for wanting to uphold the law ... Seems like now we can vandalise and remove anything we disagree with without any come back ... You might wanna do some reading up about modern day Islamic slavery , maybe dont I dont think your delicate stomach could take it or come up with an excuse for it ... If slavery upsets you so and things that remind you of slavery you want removed then I presume you want The Pyramids in Egypt bulldozed , The Coliseum in Rome pulled down ???

Birdbrain - 2020-06-08 11:47 AM

Thats alright then , she's a "Silly Mare" for wanting to uphold the law ... Seems like now we can vandalise and remove anything we disagree with without any come back ... You might wanna do some reading up about modern day Islamic slavery , maybe dont I dont think your delicate stomach could take it or come up with an excuse for it

I think she is playing to her crowd of merry right wing followers. There was no need for her to make a statement about the pulling down of a statue that many have been offended by for decades. I dont agree with the vandalism, I dont even think people should be out demonstrating in a pandemic but I do agree that this statue needed to go and go it did in style. Apparently the Mayor of Bristol said this morning that if they can afford to dig it out of the harbour it wont be going back up and may end up in a Museum which is where it belongs.

I dont think we have any statues of Islamic salvers in the UK do we? If you can point me in the direction of one ill see if I can pull it down.

Barryd999 - 2020-06-08 12:08 PM

Thats alright then , she's a "Silly Mare" for wanting to uphold the law ... Seems like now we can vandalise and remove anything we disagree with without any come back ... You might wanna do some reading up about modern day Islamic slavery , maybe dont I dont think your delicate stomach could take it or come up with an excuse for it

I think she is playing to her crowd of merry right wing followers. There was no need for her to make a statement about the pulling down of a statue that many have been offended by for decades. I dont agree with the vandalism, I dont even think people should be out demonstrating in a pandemic but I do agree that this statue needed to go and go it did in style. Apparently the Mayor of Bristol said this morning that if they can afford to dig it out of the harbour it wont be going back up and may end up in a Museum which is where it belongs.

I dont think we have any statues of Islamic salvers in the UK do we? If you can point me in the direction of one ill see if I can pull it down.

Who mentioned statues of Islamic slavers ??? ... Your obviously quite happy for thuggery and violence to go unpunished , unless of course when its some young folk having a drink and leaving litter round your way ... Hypocrite hater ... What a sad drip you are

Birdbrain - 2020-06-08 4:59 PM

Who mentioned statues of Islamic slavers ??? ... Your obviously quite happy for thuggery and violence to go unpunished , unless of course when its some young folk having a drink and leaving litter round your way ... Hypocrite hater ... What a sad drip you are

No I dont think thuggery and violence should go unpunished. I thought we were talking about some protesters pulling down a statue though, thats Criminal damage I guess.

Thankfully the vast majority of these protests here at least have been peaceful. Unfortunately it was always going to be the case that a few would cause trouble which of course the media jump on and those that are against them get all hot under the collar about so the real issues are just ignored again and so it goes on.

Barryd999 - 2020-06-08 6:23 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-08 4:59 PM

No I dont think thuggery and violence should go unpunished. I thought we were talking about some protesters pulling down a statue though, thats Criminal damage I guess.

Thankfully the vast majority of these protests here at least have been peaceful. Unfortunately it was always going to be the case that a few would cause trouble which of course the media jump on and those that are against them get all hot under the collar about so the real issues are just ignored again and so it goes on.

What is "the real issue" exactly ??? ... Didn't see you kicking up too much of a fuss when Muslim sex gang after Muslim sex gang up and down this land were "ignored again" and so it went on with underage girl victims ... Collateral damage maybe

Here's a different view. The statue should have had a plaque on its base, saying what Colston did, with a brief account of the scope of his activities. Bristol was a busy port intensively involved in the triangular trade. I think Colston should be remembered, along with many others, for their contribution to that dubious period of our past. It is a part of our history, albeit one that is very uncomfortable, but one that we should be prepared to face.

By removing his statue as they did those involved seem to me to have scored an own goal. Take away such statues, don't mention Britain's role in slavery in all the ways we were involved, and all we achieve is to make it all disappear under the carpet. I'm not sure that is what those who pitched the statue into the harbour really want, if they were to stop and thing about it. If we begin to hide our dirty little secrets, what else will we begin to airbrush from our history?

Brian Kirby - 2020-06-08 7:12 PM

Here's a different view. The statue should have had a plaque on its base, saying what Colston did, with a brief account of the scope of his activities. Bristol was a busy port intensively involved in the triangular trade. I think Colston should be remembered, along with many others, for their contribution to that dubious period of our past. It is a part of our history, albeit one that is very uncomfortable, but one that we should be prepared to face.

By removing his statue as they did those involved seem to me to have scored an own goal. Take away such statues, don't mention Britain's role in slavery in all the ways we were involved, and all we achieve is to make it all disappear under the carpet. I'm not sure that is what those who pitched the statue into the harbour really want, if they were to stop and thing about it. If we begin to hide our dirty little secrets, what else will we begin to airbrush from our history?

Maybe Abraham Lincolns statue should have a plaque on its base to inform those who vandalise it what he did for those who went before them ... Its nothing to do with the statues really Brian is it ???

Here's a different view. The statue should have had a plaque on its base, saying what Colston did, with a brief account of the scope of his activities.

It did Brian....describing him as "one of the most virtuous and wise son's of the city". He was hardly a pillar of virtue....which Britain knew at the time the statue was erected almost 100 years after the abolition of the slave trade.

Guest pelmetman

But we have a few Pikies and BAME folk who have been put in prison recently for the same offence .....of slaving :-| ........

Maybe we need a statue for Hypocrisy? ;-) .......

Seeing as even the Ancient Greeks never got around to erecting one *-) ......

Barryd999 - 2020-06-09 3:59 PM

Shes not all bad then. If its true. https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/priti-patel-at-risk-in-boris-johnson-cabinet-reshuffle-1-6688646?fbclid=IwAR26mWQhDAo9wngls0jJIYM3doR4aKBgm-l_HX1iu2aFnqEeMr1EXWGKAhA

Maybe she was too busy out steeling sweeties off little kiddies or torturing unruly staff in the Commons Dungeons that day.

Whatever you wanna make up I suppose ... Like normal with ya hatred ... Ever thought you and your ilk are one of the reasons we have so much hate in this country

Bulletguy - 2020-06-08 8:16 PM

Here's a different view. The statue should have had a plaque on its base, saying what Colston did, with a brief account of the scope of his activities.

It did Brian....describing him as "one of the most virtuous and wise son's of the city". He was hardly a pillar of virtue....which Britain knew at the time the statue was erected almost 100 years after the abolition of the slave trade.

Well, it didn't really, did it? The plaque should have revealed his slaving activities and could have made clear that his perceived virtues were financed by those other activities.

But it was far more widespread than just one man, or even the slave running itself - see here: http://tinyurl.com/y7lpru2g or here: http://tinyurl.com/y8y937oc

I'm aware that Britain was not alone, and I'm also aware that at that time owning slaves was not considered that questionable. After all, taking slaves had been a feature of human behaviour pretty much since civilisations began to emerge.

Prisoners taken in battles were often either summarily killed or enslaved. Greeks and Romans had slaves rowing their galleys. Various peoples raided other areas to take slaves. What really changed in the 17th and 18th centuries is that we, and others, industrialised slavery. Taking, and trading, slaves is what people did. We should all be more honest in assessing our involvement.

Toppling Colston's statue into Bristol harbour, or pulling Cecil Rhodes statue from Oriel College, just seem to me pointless, grandstanding, virtue signalling. They existed: they did what they did. We now mostly find what they did abhorrent, which is an advance.

But, if many of those who want these monuments to an inglorious past removed, were to delve a little deeper into their own ethnic histories, they may well find that their own distant ancestors were involved in the slave trade - as providers. The slave trade isn't some form of original sin, unique to white people. It has to be recognised that the trade existed in Africa long before the whites, or even the British, got involved in the 16C, and that slave trading had existed among the indigenous peoples of that continent, and elsewhere, since ancient times.

This is not to justify or excuse the Triangular Trade, just to try to put it into context, as something that was viewed as normal and economically beneficial, but later came to be questioned and then condemned on moral, religious, and humanitarian grounds, and was later abolished. I think it is a story of good eventually prevailing over evil, if you will, and that trying to hide from it by removing references to it is simply self-delusion - on all our parts.

Brian Kirby - 2020-06-09 5:31 PM

Well, it didn't really, did it? The plaque should have revealed his slaving activities and could have made clear that his perceived virtues were financed by those other activities.

But it was far more widespread than just one man, or even the slave running itself - see here: http://tinyurl.com/y7lpru2g or here: http://tinyurl.com/y8y937oc

I'm aware that Britain was not alone, and I'm also aware that at that time owning slaves was not considered that questionable. After all, taking slaves had been a feature of human behaviour pretty much since civilisations began to emerge.

Prisoners taken in battles were often either summarily killed or enslaved. Greeks and Romans had slaves rowing their galleys. Various peoples raided other areas to take slaves. What really changed in the 17th and 18th centuries is that we, and others, industrialised slavery. Taking, and trading, slaves is what people did. We should all be more honest in assessing our involvement.

Toppling Colston's statue into Bristol harbour, or pulling Cecil Rhodes statue from Oriel College, just seem to me pointless, grandstanding, virtue signalling. They existed: they did what they did. We now mostly find what they did abhorrent, which is an advance.

But, if many of those who want these monuments to an inglorious past removed, were to delve a little deeper into their own ethnic histories, they may well find that their own distant ancestors were involved in the slave trade - as providers. The slave trade isn't some form of original sin, unique to white people. It has to be recognised that the trade existed in Africa long before the whites, or even the British, got involved in the 16C, and that slave trading had existed among the indigenous peoples of that continent, and elsewhere, since ancient times.

This is not to justify or excuse the Triangular Trade, just to try to put it into context, as something that was viewed as normal and economically beneficial, but later came to be questioned and then condemned on moral, religious, and humanitarian grounds, and was later abolished. I think it is a story of good eventually prevailing over evil, if you will, and that trying to hide from it by removing references to it is simply self-delusion - on all our parts.

Good post ... Virtue signalling is all it is ... Seems many blacks and many others that support the recent violent thuggery feel its necessary to blame the ills of 100s of years ago for their own failings in life ... How far back in history do we need to go back to look for blame ??? ... If every white person said sorry for slavery and something that had nothing to do with them would it mean blacks can move on and can no longer blame the wrongs of generations before for their failings ??? If so I will apologise

Brian Kirby - 2020-06-09 5:31 PM

A misunderstanding....i read it as though you thought there was no plaque! Yes imo it was a poor choice of words to describe the guy as "most virtuous", especially given the time the plaque was mounted 100 years after we'd abolished the slave trade so were certainly aware and it should as you say have been more clear and honest in it's description. Savile raised millions for charity but nobody in their right mind would consider erecting a statue of him with a plaque describing him as "most virtuous"!!

Also of course, if the forefathers of of some of our citizens had not been slaves, their descendents probably would not have had the privilege to live in our free western country, and progress according to their own ability . Rather than complain I think they should be grateful for the opportunities that we all have, in one of the best countries in the World.

Brian B.

Archived