Shop Vouchers

kelly58

I have been to town this morning and whilst queing in Boots / Smiths etc most of the other shoppers were buying  " Gift Vouchers " of various values is it me or sureley if you are not sure or do not know what gift to buy someone its better to give the recipient " Money " because then they can spend it wherever they wish in any shop not just in shops where the vouchers came from .

Perhaps its me but I know what I would prefer http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Yup, must agree. I used to get these when I was a kid, for WH Smiths etc, used to drive me potty as I never got enough to buy what I really wanted and what they had I didn't want/need. I used to ask someone at the checkout who was buying items if they would swap their money with me which they usually did.

I do get the odd gift voucher now, usually for Matalan, but as I always 'hit' that in January when the sales are on (hopefully they will be again this time!), then I'm quite happy with these. The worst (if that's the right expression!) lot I got was for my 25 years' service, I got £75 of vouchers but they were so restricted as to where you could spend them we either bought grocery shopping with them or ended up giving them away to others as presents as we knew they'd definitely buy stuff from the shops in question anyway! When my husband got £75 for his 25 years' service at the same it took him a year to spend them (we're not big on shopping). :D

I think some people like to feel that they are making an 'effort' at least by obtaining and giving a voucher, rather than just sticking money in a card, but all they are actually doing is giving the shop a free loan for however long it takes the recipient to use it.

It's a bit like these 'wedding lists' that shops do, you are expected to buy something the couple want off the list - often at an extortionate price for the priviledge of being able to do so. I prefer the 'guessing' game - you just can't beat receiving 3 toasters as wedding presents!!!!! ;-)

Well, I've got this 'saucy piece' see. I didn't know what to get her for Xmas, so this very morning, I went to M&S to get some vouchers.

In exchange for a substantial sum of money (I'm not stingy) I was given a tasteful credit card wosname with the money transferred onto it.

So much more subtle than common cash I feel.

Alright in certain situations where you are not sure what present you should buy, but for close family and friends it seems to say that you can't really be bothered to give the matter much thought and settle for cash or vouchers.

If we all did this then it really would become pointless, and whether the gift is suitable or not, its always the thought that counts, and what happens to the pleasure of giving and recieving those beautifully wrapped presents on Christmas day.

howie - 2008-12-11 6:21 PM Alright in certain situations where you are not sure what present you should buy, but for close family and friends it seems to say that you can't really be bothered to give the matter much thought and settle for cash or vouchers. If we all did this then it really would become pointless, and whether the gift is suitable or not, its always the thought that counts, and what happens to the pleasure of giving and recieving those beautifully wrapped presents on Christmas day.

My sentiments to. I've always considered gift vouchers rather Chavvy and in the same league as professionally printed and unsigned Christmas cards. I've one or two acquaintances who have their cards printed with a little message and  'Greeting from Michael and Janet' (not their real names!).

They invariably come in an envelope with a computerised label stuck on and they never even go to the trouble of writing anything in the card.

I can just about live with computerised labels but unsigned cards?

The message is that they really can't be bothered!

Edited to say, my only exception would be book vouchers for children to encourage them to read.

We try to buy presents that we think the receiver will like but others will appreciate money more, like teenage nephews and nieces who I haven't a clue what they are in to now!!!

As for presents, I think you should really only give gift vouchers for shops that you are sure they receiver will want to buy stuff from. I hated getting gift tokens as presents as a kid as they were so restrictive ... but that was quite a while ago now! *-)

One of the worse presents I got when I was around 8 or 9 was a small globe, a chemistry stencil (so I could draw bottles etc ... I wasn't even doing chemistry or geography at the time!), and a pack of fancy soap (as I had a bad skin allergy to most perfumed soaps and shampoos this was soon pinched by my sister!). :-(

It's certainly the case that giving money rather than making an effort to get a suitable present or voucher is still seen as a bit of a no-no.

This year, and possibly next, giving money instead of a high street voucher is a good idea. Given the state of the economy who knows which of the retailers will go toes-up next, commentators don't think that Woolies is the last. How bad will both givers and receivers feel if the voucher is rendered useless?

;-)

I suppose one other reason for giving vouchers rather than money, is that hopefully that ensures that it is spent on the receiver as a 'treat', rather than put into a pot and spent on 'normal' things like food etc.

Whilst I appreciate that now many people are a bit hard up, it would be a shame if any money they received went towards the day to day expenses rather than them having a bit of cheer in their lives on Christmas Day.

Archived