Should HM Forces be Accountable?

John52

On Monday, the Conservative party promised to end historic investigations into service personnel, including in Northern Ireland. If elected with a majority, the party promises to amend the Human Rights Act of 1998 – which allows us to defend our rights in court and compels public bodies to treat everyone equally

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/12/veterans-army-investigations-soldiers-civilians-war

If a soldier killed your loved ones, would you want it investigated?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2019-11-13 9:00 AM

On Monday, the Conservative party promised to end historic investigations into service personnel, including in Northern Ireland. If elected with a majority, the party promises to amend the Human Rights Act of 1998 – which allows us to defend our rights in court and compels public bodies to treat everyone equally

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/12/veterans-army-investigations-soldiers-civilians-war

If Corbyn gets in then they'll be a witch hunt >:-( ...........

Is it any wonder scumbag Lawyers like Phil Shiner prospered under Labour >:-( ........

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2019-11-13 11:33 AM

malc d - 2019-11-13 10:47 AM

Yes, but not 30 or 40 years later -

:-|

How long can politicians obfuscate and delay it for *-)

Until they issue get out of jail letters for IRA terrorists in Labours case >:-( .........

pelmetman - 2019-11-13 11:41 AM

Until they issue get out of jail letters for IRA terrorists in Labours case >:-( .........

Or bring about a peace process to a conflict all started by England's illegal occupation of another country.

Or would you have rather the conflict went on with innocent people being murdered on all sides?

Are the victims of the Peterloo Massacre & Suffragettes 'terrorists' in Mad Hatter logic too :-S

Fast Pat - 2019-11-13 12:18 PM

Or would you have rather the conflict went on with innocent people being murdered on all sides?

Some politicians just need an enemy.

Churchill and Thatcher were ousted when they no longer had an enemy to send us to fight. :-S

Fast Pat - 2019-11-13 12:18 PM……………...Or bring about a peace process to a conflict all started by England's illegal occupation of another country. …………...

I'm intrigued by how you get to the conclusion that Britain's occupation of Ireland was illegal.  Illegal under which jurisdiction?  It is certainly complex, and was at times very brutal, but actually illegal?  After all, it was all (more or less) started by the Normans when they were still conquering England.

Brian Kirby - 2019-11-13 1:47 PM
Fast Pat - 2019-11-13 12:18 PM……………...Or bring about a peace process to a conflict all started by England's illegal occupation of another country. …………...

I'm intrigued by how you get to the conclusion that Britain's occupation of Ireland was illegal.  Illegal under which jurisdiction?  It is certainly complex, and was at times very brutal, but actually illegal?  After all, it was all (more or less) started by the Normans when they were still conquering England.

Depends if you take your history from Irish or English books!

Guest pelmetman

Or bring about a peace process to a conflict all started by England's illegal occupation of another country.

Believe me Paddy ;-) .............99% of the UK would be more than happy for you to have NI back :D .......

Perhaps the Irish should be careful for what they wish for >:-) .......

pelmetman - 2019-11-13 2:49 PM

Believe me Paddy ;-) .............99% of the UK would be more than happy for you to have NI back :D .......

Try answering the question for once, would you have rather the conflict went on with innocent people being murdered on all sides, or the peace that the Labour Party and others negotiated?

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-11-13 3:13 PM

Try answering the question for once, would you have rather the conflict went on with innocent people being murdered on all sides, or the peace that the Labour Party and others negotiated?

I'd rather Ireland be reunited ;-) ...........

The thought of you lot having to play nice with the DUP would keep me chuckling for years :D ........

Fast Pat - 2019-11-13 2:16 PM
Brian Kirby - 2019-11-13 1:47 PM

Depends if you take your history from Irish or English books!

But does it?  According to Wikipedia (which I assume neither British nor Irish), the Normans first entered Ireland at the request of one Diarmait Mac Murchada, who sought the assistance of Richard de Clare (the Welsh based Norman "Strongbow"), in a little local problem he was having with his Kingdom.  Bad move! 

Ireland first came under direct British jurisdiction during the Lordship of Ireland, after the Norman Henry Plantagenet of England got uneasy that Strongbow was building up excessive power in Ireland, so threatening his own throne.  Henry then invoked the Pope, claiming he had been given powers to reform the Irish church - and away we go.  This was back in the 12th century, the time of the Divine right of Kings (when the King's word was the law), and it had a long and winding, and frequently bloody, path to follow for the next 900 odd years - but I don't think it was ever settled as a matter of international law!  That all came to an end - more or less - in 1916, when the Irish eventually persuaded the British that further resistance wasn't worth it, and the present Irish Republic began to emerge.

All I'm saying, in a roundabout way, is that given the circumstances I think the charge of "illegal occupation" is just a tad hyperbolic!  :-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2019-11-13 5:27 PM

.......99% of the UK would be more than happy for you to have NI back :D .......

That may be so, but BoJo needs DUP votes so its you who should be careful what you wish for :D

You seem to be counting your chlorinated chickens before the 12th of December ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2019-11-17 5:52 PM

jumpstart - 2019-11-17 2:18 PM

Supposed scandal.

How did you manage to watch it before its broadcast *-)

Why would you want to watch it? :-S ........

You are a lefty apologist so will have made up your mind decades ago in with your fellow lefty A Holes >:-( .......

How you can presume to know what life is like on the front line is beyond me *-) ......

I am currently struggling to keep my contempt for you and your ilk civil >:-( .......

P1010899.JPG.7a8a4394f6e420c2358ac9bf9feca684.JPG

Archived