Should this be allowed?

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Guest Frank Wilkinson

By this, I refer to discussion on politics or religion or on crime and punishment, as has been discussed in another thread.

This may seem odd coming from me, as I simply can't resist joining in a good argument and as members will have already deduced, I have firm opinions on certain subjects!

Having said that however I am coming to the conclusion that such subjects should be banned on sites such as this. If people wish to discuss politics etc. there are many sites where can do so to their heart's contents.

Take Brian Kirby for instance. He and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum on certain subjects and I could really fall out with him over some of his opinions and I've no doubt that he could do the same with me!

However, despite the fact that we have different political views he is, from what I've gleaned during my short sojourn on this site, an extremely nice man who seems to enjoy helping others, me included.

This is a site for people who enjoy their motorhomes and who enjoy sharing their knowledge and experience of them with others. It seems a pity to sour the generally positive experience of membership with arguments about subjects on which we will never agree.

I am a member of a forum for people who enjoy fine mechanical watches and if we'd had a discussion like the one that we're currently having on crime and punishment, some of us would have been banned by now.

I'm not suggesting a ban on all 'Off Topic' subjects. I enjoy the humour and interest that many of them have. I do however feel that this site needs stronger moderation and that perhaps it would benefit from a ban on the subjects that I've mentioned.

I haven't been a member of this forum for long, so perhaps I'm the last one to be suggesting major policy changes, but I'd be interested to hear the views of some of the long-term members.

I see no harm in having this sort of debate Frank, and what you will find is that this particular subject will run its course and then something else will take its place. After all this the "chatterbox" section, and I for one enjoy the variety of subjects on offer. Howard.

Because of strong opinions of some people I have given up posting on here as I think I must take offense too easily.

But I just wanted to say I have found the discussions on that thread fascinating and I think everyone has been very understanding of others, and seem to be far more tolerant than on other threads I have read. What a boring world if we where all the same, personally I have few political views, and never read newspapers or listen to the news if I can help it, but I sat and read the entire thread yesterday.

There are certain topics that could be avoided and I think generally people do try to do this with more sensitive issues, there is always something that puts things into perspective for us, for me yesterday it was the death of a 17 year old local boy who had felt ill one day and died the next of meningitis, I cried for ages , at just the thought of his poor family having to return home to the house full of Christmas decorations and all his presents. What will their Christmas and others to follow be like for them. The father is the head of a local secondary school and he has to go back and watch other boys wasting their time and growing up into the wasters of life, when in his eyes his son could have been a real asset to the world.

I do agree that the moderators could intervene a little more often, especially when someone is being almost bullied on here, I have to add I was astounded where the snow on Brians van lead and couldn't believe that wasn't monitored more.

Mandy&Andy - 2006-12-21 5:48 AM I do agree that the moderators could intervene a little more often, especially when someone is being almost bullied on here,

I totally agree, differing opinions on a topical subject is one thing, vindictive snide remarks have no place in this forum, IMHO. 

However, asking moderators to jump in when topics aren't strictly "motorhome related" will always be a dismal failure, unless there are "very, very strict" guidelines.  It's easy to define a fine timepieces discussion topic (I would imagine?, excuse me if I am wrong), but motorhoming is a lifestyle and whether the discussion is about gas regulators or police behaviour on the roads, it will always be extremely difficult to make fair and balanced judgement.  If a moderator jumps in everytime one of us touches on a grey area, we will become most upset!  So a good moderator, again IMHO, will allow some leeway in most areas, hoping that cool, mature heads will bring the thread to a conclusion when ready.  Otherwise moderators would be like football refs, never right!

Hi Frank, I haven't joined in any of the political discussions on here simply because I'm not a politically motivated person but I have found them fascinating reading. Although yourself and Brian have openly stated two almost diametrically opposite viewpoints ther has been no nastiness about it. I personally beleive this is what the chatterbox section is for, motorhome owners to talk about other subjects and long may it continue to be so!

D.

Hi Frank,

I believe any subject should be debated on a Forum, as you would do sitting on a campsite meeting up with new neighbours. Yes the place is Chatterbox and not on the end of a different thread. We as readers can then choose if we want to read or leave alone after all as long as it gives pleasure to some then it is worthwhile.

David

Agree with Howard there Frank . Chatterbox ...... Not have ago personal box . This don't mean anyone falls out just chat's we are all allowed to say what ever and yes we are not all going to agree with each other .

But Hey we are still all friends ... as long as its not personal don't mean you can't agree to disagree DOES IT (lol)

Thank you mandy & Andy.

Funny world we live in but glad you noticed I have long since come to the conclusion it's got to be my name ? Ha ha.

Still don't go out to upset anyone so less said the better .

Superhuman obviously thought it was not a motorhome topic.

But as Dave pointed out I thought it was and it did inspire us so leaving saturday for the mountains ....Merry crimbo. I can asure you all if I upset anyone it's never intentional unless I mean it haha.........

;-)

Frank Wilkinson - 2006-12-20 11:48 PM

By this, I refer to discussion on politics or religion or on crime and punishment, as has been discussed in another thread.

This may seem odd coming from me, as I simply can't resist joining in a good argument and as members will have already deduced, I have firm opinions on certain subjects!

Having said that however I am coming to the conclusion that such subjects should be banned on sites such as this. If people wish to discuss politics etc. there are many sites where can do so to their heart's contents.

Take Brian Kirby for instance. He and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum on certain subjects and I could really fall out with him over some of his opinions and I've no doubt that he could do the same with me!

However, despite the fact that we have different political views he is, from what I've gleaned during my short sojourn on this site, an extremely nice man who seems to enjoy helping others, me included.

This is a site for people who enjoy their motorhomes and who enjoy sharing their knowledge and experience of them with others. It seems a pity to sour the generally positive experience of membership with arguments about subjects on which we will never agree.

I am a member of a forum for people who enjoy fine mechanical watches and if we'd had a discussion like the one that we're currently having on crime and punishment, some of us would have been banned by now.

I'm not suggesting a ban on all 'Off Topic' subjects. I enjoy the humour and interest that many of them have. I do however feel that this site needs stronger moderation and that perhaps it would benefit from a ban on the subjects that I've mentioned.

I haven't been a member of this forum for long, so perhaps I'm the last one to be suggesting major policy changes, but I'd be interested to hear the views of some of the long-term members.

Shame you'd fall out with me over such a small  difference of opinion, Frank.  We all need to be stirred up a bit from time to time and made to get out of our comfort zones.  I've enjoyed it, I hope you have.

But in case you haven't, I forgive you!  Happy Christmas one and all.

I subscribed to the MMM Forum for about 2 years until January this year when I had to part with my Lunar Roadstar 720 because I couldn't afford it and the new house. It was a simple forum where people asked questions and discussed motorhomes and motorhoming. I've recently come back because I'm thinking of swopping the car for a small 'van and returning to the fold. Now I find this a complicated place with all sorts of subjects brought up and not such a friendly attitude. A lot of the regulars seem to have disappeared and I don't think this an improvement. But I suppose this is progress. I'll continue to lurk and try to help anyone when the opportunity arises. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of poor grammar and spelling that exists not only on this forum but on others as well. Education Education Education said Mr Blair 12 years ago. What happened?

Well Roy in my case its called dyslexic . I do try but I never know quite where to put the little ,,, ... or little bit's its hard because it is so hard to get the letters the right way round in the first place all jumbled in my mind .

Just want to get them out but sometimes they come out wrong I do spell things wrongly I know or I will say there or their or your or you're and still get it wrong . But some people had a sound education and to mention it might be very off putting to other users. Ater all they might think they have spelt it correctly? sometimes its a slip of the fingers .

You should see me at signing BSL god the tutor just folds on the floor laughing how will I ever pass my exam? Well thats my excuse.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I'm glad really that I can still have some good arguments with all the pinko-commie-liberal-do-gooders! :-D:-D:-D

I've finally worked out how to insert those little smiley faces!

Guest Frank Wilkinson
colin&jb - 2006-12-22 1:31 AM frank this is not just a mobile roundabout site it is for everybody despite what you might think! there are some some of us out there who enjoy camping we are not 2nd class citizens !

One - I've no idea what you're talking about!

Two - Don't you understand the significance of the little smiley faces?

Hi Wayne. Start by replying to my posting. On the left you will see the emoticons. Click on the one you want. (try the one i,m using now, you won,t see it on your message, *-) but it should if you go to preview and when you post your reply. 8-)

I do my best to keep things running smoothly, but there are occasions (like yesterday when I couldn't access the forums at all due to our company internet being broken) when certain discussions 'slip through the cracks', as it were. Just to clarify, forum moderation is not a mandated part of my work but a voluntary duty I have undertaken; I often have to put in some overtime at evenings and weekends just to keep things going, but I cannot do this all the time.

There are simply too many posts made during the course of a day to check every single one thoroughly; I do my best to keep things 'on-topic', but can sometimes miss posts that others take offence to.

Additionally, I deal will all email enquiries that come in via the forums, or to the Moderator's PM Inbox; I also deal with most enquires that come in via the Out&About Live website. This is on top of all the other work that comes in to the Internet department here at Warners!

I have to prioritise certain things, and my primary concern is to make sure that people aren't abusing the system (using the forums for free advertising and the like). Second, I try and check that no libellous comments are being made as that could result in the forum being shut down - which I'm sure no-one wants. This is followed by checking that each thread is in the right place, and moving it if absolutely necessary. I also try and make sure that people aren't being abusive to one another; so far, I've found only a couple of instances where things have gotten out of hand. Generally if someone stirs people up, they get what's coming to them and I see no problem with this (don't tease the cat and you won't get scratched, and all that); it's when people start posting unprovoked or overly personal attacks that the 'delete' button gets pressed.

Let's be realistic here; this forum was created NOT to advertise or support our wares, but to provide an area of free discussion for people who share a common interest. All that we ask is that the users try and behave in a level-headed manner, and keep their comments where they belong - if your post has absolutely no relevance to motorhomes then it belongs in the 'chatterbox' forum, but I'm not about to start stepping in and saying what people can and can't talk about when discussions go off on a tangent. There's only one word for that - fascism. It goes against the whole idea of community, and that's what we're trying to build here. If people stop talking about the initial subject, then it's up to the forumgoers who want to continue to talk about this subject to steer the discussion back. If people still don't want to talk about it then you have to ask if anyone's interested in it any more.

I'm not going to hold everyone's hand; you're grownups, and you don't need my intervention every step of the way. Would you let me step in in the middle of a conversation with your next-door neighbour and say 'nope, you can't talk about that'? Of course not. The beauty of discussion is that it's a fluid, living thing; I'm not about to try and build a dam to keep it out of certain areas.

I can do my best to keep the majority happy, but I need some help. Moderating this forum is talking up more and more of my time each day, and I have to draw the line somewhere. If you have genuine concerns, please contact me either by PM or email. I'll do my best to sort it out quickly, but I can't keep taking my work home with me!

Some time in the future we may try and appoint some Forum Moderators from amongst the regulars, but the best way forward at the moment is for everyone to try and behave responsibly.

Don't fly off the handle. Don't get dragged into slanging matches. Try and keep discussions in the right areas.

If you can do this, then we should all get along just fine.

Well done the mods, You do a pretty good job on this site, not like some others who take a massive ego trip when they are given the job as moderator.

Like you say, we are (all) grown-ups so we should not really need watching over.

Enough said, Merry Xmas and a happy New Year to each and every member (without exception) on here. :-D

Lets hope the next 12 months bring many lively debates :D :$ *-) >:-( B-) >:-) ;-)

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Frank Wilkinson - 2006-12-22 8:20 AM
colin&jb - 2006-12-22 1:31 AM frank this is not just a mobile roundabout site it is for everybody despite what you might think! there are some some of us out there who enjoy camping we are not 2nd class citizens !

One - I've no idea what you're talking about!

Two - Don't you understand the significance of the little smiley faces?

I'd still like a response to this accusation that I think that some other members of this site are second-class citizens. I'm really puzzled as to how anyone can infer that from anything that I've said. I'd be obliged if the author of this accusation can tell me why he or she said this.

As far as I'm concerned this site has one class of citizen, the class that enjoys the freedom that a motorhome gives them to enjoy the beauties of this and other countries. Give me campers of all persuaitions against the typical 'Fortnight in Benidorm' type!

Archived