Sky, Virgin & BT warn broadcasters of no-deal Brexit blackout

Bulletguy

Oh dear........at this rate UK will be back to the choice of three telly channels. *-)

Sky has delivered an ultimatum to broadcasters including Disney and Discovery to sort out their post-Brexit licensing plans by the end of 2018 or face being taken off its pay-TV service.

Sky has sent the deadline letter because it needs to know the licensing plans of its channel partners to make sure it abides by European broadcasting regulations in the event of a no-deal Brexit in March.

If the government fails to strike a deal to keep EU-wide broadcast rights post-Brexit, companies will have to look to relocate significant parts of their businesses and TV licensing arrangements to other EU countries to continue to transmit across the rest of Europe.

The Commercial Broadcasters Association (Coba) has said that if Brexit results in UK TV licences no longer allowing EU-wide broadcast, it could cost the economy £1bn in annual investment from international broadcasters.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/oct/18/sky-warns-disney-and-discovery-of-no-deal-brexit-blackout

Guest pelmetman

Oh dear less telly :D ..........

A reduction of sh*te from the one eyed monster in the corner, is to be welcomed in my book B-) .......

Then I can concentrate on your loony lefty sh*te >:-) .......

Not being an admirer of any of they parasites that just made me chuckle, thanks for that, best laugh of the day - so far - got any more like that please!

By the way there are a lot more than three on Freeview, but don't ever let the truth would spoil your joke?

Tracker - 2018-10-19 4:59 PM

Not being an admirer of any of they parasites that just made me chuckle, thanks for that, best laugh of the day - so far - got any more like that please!

You don't have a telly? :-S

By the way there are a lot more than three on Freeview, but don't ever let the truth would spoil your joke?

Oh.....you do!! Tut tut!

Well make the most of your time with Freeview.....they may well be shipping operations out altogether if they can't continue licensing. It's not so much about a loss of signal......it's more about loss of jobs.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-10-19 5:37 PM

Oh.....you do!! Tut tut!

Well make the most of your time with Freeview.....they may well be shipping operations out altogether if they can't continue licensing. It's not so much about a loss of signal......it's more about loss of jobs.

Think of the brain cells you might save at your age :D ...........

It's pretty obvious you cant afford to lose anymore on the right side of your thinking instrument 8-) ........

Sorry its way to biased to be called a brain >:-) ..............

pelmetman - 2018-10-19 6:00 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-19 5:37 PM

Oh.....you do!! Tut tut!

Think of the brain cells you might save at your age :D ...........

It's pretty obvious you cant afford to lose anymore on the right side of your thinking instrument 8-) ........

Sorry its way to biased to be called a brain >:-) ..............

Oh dear.....the Brexit Beano Brainiac.....and to think you were let loose with a ballot paper when you can't be trusted with bog paper. *-)

Barryd999 - 2018-10-19 10:12 PM

To be honest Im surprised Brexiteers have not being campaigning for the return of Black and white square TVs, The Test Card and the little white dot at midnight.

I can see why you haters of change would like your TV to remain the same Barry, but most of us have moved on with our TVs - so this may come as a shock to you so beware - the rest of us have had colour TV now. for a year or 50 - it even predates the Common Market!

Tracker - 2018-10-20 3:27 PM

To be honest Im surprised Brexiteers have not being campaigning for the return of Black and white square TVs, The Test Card and the little white dot at midnight.

I can see why you haters of change would like your TV to remain the same Barry, but most of us have moved on with our TVs - so this may come as a shock to you so beware - the rest of us have had colour TV now. for a year or 50 - it even predates the Common Market!

Sorry Rich, your lot are the ones trying to turn back the clock to 1970. Everything about Brexit is backward. How many times have we heard "Well in the 70s we voted just for a common market why could we not have just stuck with that?" Well we only had three TV Channels back then as well I think and it all finished at midnight and you were told to go to bed by the white dot. Sums up Brexit to me.

Barryd999 - 2018-10-20 5:48 PM

Tracker - 2018-10-20 3:27 PM

Sorry Rich, your lot are the ones trying to turn back the clock to 1970. Everything about Brexit is backward. How many times have we heard "Well in the 70s we voted just for a common market why could we not have just stuck with that?" Well we only had three TV Channels back then as well I think and it all finished at midnight and you were told to go to bed by the white dot. Sums up Brexit to me.

Sorry Barry, but your ideas represent typical EU thinking - don't rock the boat, don't improve anything, don't adapt to changing needs - and that is why so many comnpanies have gone bust these days - failure to do what their paying customers want and need - and that is where the EU is heading - failure to adapt and modernise - still stuck in a beaurocratic time warp of 40 years ago when the paying electorate could be pushed about and manipulated by 'public' (allegedly) servants hell bent on saving their own unelected cushy jobs and pensions.

My viewing of satellite/cable TV in UK/Europe is the same as in AU, a lot of rubbish in between the good programmes. If you went back to 3 stations it may not be a bad decision as all the "filler" shows would go and leave only the quality. TV is a bit like a Christmas stocking lots of "fillers" and a few good presents.cheers,

The best thing about modern TVs is the remote control - you can shut off the wretched adverts that have now become so repetitive that it is akin to brainwashing.

Especially the BBC where between every programme you get on average four trailers for forthcoming BBC programmes. The only benefit of these is that having seen the trailers you can avoid the programmes - as long as you can withstand the never ending bombardment of crud!

Is it my imagination or have 'commercial breaks' become longer, especially on the BBC?

Archived