Smart meter????

Pampam

Guest Had Enough
Pampam - 2015-02-04 6:54 AM

I might haveasked this before but they (eon) want to put a smart meter in has anybody on here got one????? Cheers pp:)

They're brilliant and show you how much gas or electricity you're using at any time and can focus your mind on sensible use. By switching, where possible, all my lights to LEDs and slightly reducing room temperatures, I have, over the last two years, when bills were rising, reduced my monthly bill (to EON as well) from £250 a month to about £180.

My family room as we call it, where we spend most of our time, used to be set at 21 degrees. I now have it at 19 degrees and am very comfortable. Because of this the gas savings have been enormous and gas is the biggest cost for us.

Another huge advantage is that your meter doesn't have to be read by a meter reader, so no worries about being in in case someone calls.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

I think that my in-laws have a smart meter( FiL was showing me a remote gauge/display he has).It looked very good, showing as it did, usage as he switched various appliances on/off.

(I say "I think", because they had also recently had additional solar panels fitted, to accompany their heat exchanger tubes, so this display may have been part of that installation...? :$ )

Anything that helps monitor usage has got to be good.. :-D

I remain to be convinced that allowing Big Brother any more access to my home than I have to is in my own best interests and not theirs - why else would they pay for it and guess who will pay in the long run anyway?

I have no problem monitoring my own home's warmth and fuel usage and would prefer not to leave myself open to future abuse by the already overly powerful and manipulative cartel of multi national owned domestic energy providers that we have as they tend to do nothing that is not primarily in their own interests?

I am happy to embrace new technology when it is my own interests but not otherwise and just because it is new that alone does not make it a good idea for everyone.

I read my meters once a quarter and send the readings by email and that I find gives me sufficient control of the balance between over and under paying by monthly DD.

Any doubts? Google - 'smart meters for and against' and have a read before deciding?

Guest Had Enough

Oh my God!

Big Brother is out to get us! George Orwell was right. Smart meters are a giant conspiracy by the abusive and already overly powerful and manipulative cartel of multi national owned domestic energy providers.

Why didn't I think of that?

Mobile phones all cause cancer as well, did you know that? You should all ditch those at the same time. Why would want to lay yourself open to future abuse by the already overly powerful and manipulative cartel of multi national owned mobile phone providers that we have as they tend to do nothing that is not primarily in their own interests?

Scary eh!

I would recommend lining all your windows with tin foil and wearing a hat lined with the same material.

That should do it. ;-)

So once again Huff n Puff is unable to respond sensibly to a posting of an alternative view to his own - one that did not refer to him or insult him in any way - why Frank are you unable to be polite when someone does not share your view - or am I not as entitled to my view as much as you are entitled to yours.

You just cannot resist taking any opportunity for another history biased swipe can you and rather than read the whole posting you choose again to pick up on part of it out of context to suit your own agenda.

As I said yesterday, again, if you don't have an unprovoked go at me I will not feel the need to draw your attention to the error of your ways.

Sorry - just realised it has a smiley so it must just be a bit of banter (lol)

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2015-02-04 4:44 PM

So once again Huff n Puff is unable to respond sensibly to a posting of an alternative view to his own - one that did not refer to him or insult him in any way - why Frank are you unable to be polite when someone does not share your view - or am I not as entitled to my view as much as you are entitled to yours.

You just cannot resist taking any opportunity for another history biased swipe can you and rather than read the whole posting you choose again to pick up on part of it out of context to suit your own agenda.

As I said yesterday, again, if you don't have an unprovoked go at me I will not feel the need to draw your attention to the error of your ways.

Sorry - just realised it has a smiley so it must just be a bit of banter (lol)

Oh my God, don't you have a sense of humour? You clearly don't understand my irreverent sense of fun and banter.

I don't know? Some people eh? You really should lighten up a bit and try to see the funny side of life. ;-)

Had Enough - 2015-02-04 5:02 PM

Oh my God, don't you have a sense of humour? You clearly don't understand my irreverent sense of fun and banter.

I don't know? Some people eh? You really should lighten up a bit and try to see the funny side of life. ;-)

I understand your humour far better than you understand mine it seems but your 'humour' as you would like others to see it contains a lot more sarcasm than most people's humour and I also understand the difference, so whilst I would never dream of accusing you of now squirming away having been found out because this is the kind of terminology you use, I do accept your apology and I offer mine if you think I over reacted so can we call closure on the matter and move on if that is OK with you?

Simples eh? (lol)

I might haveasked this before but they (eon) want to put a smart meter in has anybody on here got one????? Cheers pp:)

I've got one from E.ON.

Very informative in ' reminding ' me how much various things cost to run - o.k. as long as you don't let it run your life !

As far as I can tell there is no camera or microphone inside so I don't share Trackers worries.

...and I don't mind E.On finding out how much electricity I'm using.

;-)

Interesting thought Malc, but these devices do communicate with the supplier using radio waves to do so and there is some medical concern about the perceived risk of these radio waves over a prolonged period.

I'm not saying that I subscribe to those perceptions but they are maybe at least worth looking at to form a balanced view?

Try this one and form your own opinion which hopefully will not be ridiculed!

http://www.carbonbrief.org/blog/2012/06/does-my-smart-meter-know-when-i-am-on-the-loo/

Thanks for all your thoughts id actually been ignoring the letters from eon for some time now and then my hubby told me this morning hed arranged to have it changed next week cos he thought it would save me doing it lol (im not a big fan of change unless its something i have decided upon myself and am also a suspicious soul) anyhow its getting done next week the meters outside so i shant be running out to see how much the kettle costs?? weve had a few power cuts just lately so maybe its ready for a change :- i suppose they can tell when you arent at home ??

Tracker - 2015-02-04 9:10 PM

Interesting thought Malc, but these devices do communicate with the supplier using radio waves to do so and there is some medical concern about the perceived risk of these radio waves over a prolonged period.

/QUOTE]

If Gassing involved, Dave might be interested in this thread and these meters. :D

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2015-02-04 9:24 PM

If Gassing involved, Dave might be interested in this thread and these meters. :D

Dave

That's a good idea - I never thought of that!!

I wonder, do the alleged carcinogenic radio waves from a smart meter negate the alleged application of noxious and anaesthetic gasbags?

And can I have a smart meter that measures how much of a windbag I am alleged to be - if they have a scale big enough - come to think of it - maybe we should all have one fitted to our interwebamabob router thingies so we can compare windbaggeryness!

Pampam - 2015-02-04 9:23 PM

Thanks for all your thoughts id actually been ignoring the letters from eon for some time now and then my hubby told me this morning hed arranged to have it changed next week cos he thought it would save me doing it lol (im not a big fan of change unless its something i have decided upon myself and am also a suspicious soul) anyhow its getting done next week the meters outside so i shant be running out to see how much the kettle costs?? weve had a few power cuts just lately so maybe its ready for a change :- i suppose they can tell when you arent at home ??

Our electricity meter is on an external wall - and from time to time someone used to come and read it without me knowing. ( I've never seen anyone read it. )

Now that it's a smart meter it sends the info wirelessly to my supplier so no one comes to read it any more.

The radio waves do not pass through the house ( as far as I am aware ) so therefore I have not resorted to wearing a lead jacket.

The info about how much leccy you use is displayed on a small monitor on the kitchen worktop - and is plugged into the mains circuit - so you won't be running outside to look for the info.

It can be placed in any room you like.

The monitor is quite small - not much bigger than a postcard.

;-)

malc d - 2015-02-05 9:17 AM

The radio waves do not pass through the house ( as far as I am aware ) so therefore I have not resorted to wearing a lead jacket.

Radio waves are a bit of a mystery to me too but as they have to get from the meter to the supplier they, as I see it, can either travel directly by powerful radio frequency or via the phone line and less power?

As I understand it radio wave can easily pass through buildings, and people, or how else would a mobile or portable phone work indoors so who knows where they reach or end up or what if anything they can do to those who are maybe more susceptible to RF damage than others?

It would take a far greater expert than I and that begs the question - just who do you believe - the multinationals and EU with their known corporate and political agendas or the individual investigators whose agendas we are totally unaware of?

I am not paranoid about it but I do think there is much that we do not know, some of which may be deliberately withheld, especially given the recently announced increases in cancer rates which are not entirely down to us living longer and so could possibly be environmental?

I try to keep an open mind and as I still see no benefit to me in a smart meter I shall continue to resist them.

One of my sons spent the thick end of £75,000 on a new kitchen which did involve a lot of building work and now is to put it mildly very large. As part of that he had electric underfloor heating in it. When we were over there one day I commented that it did not seem to be working. Turned out he had a smart meter installed and when he realised how much an hour it was costing to run he had a couple of,large fancy rads installed and now hardly ever uses the underfloor heating!

• 5 years later...
Guest ivashevyaropo
colin - 2015-02-04 12:39 PM

We've got one, but its got no 'remote', so at moment just works like a digital meter.

How much does it cost?

Guest kuriisenbo
Had Enough - 2015-02-04 2:35 PM

Oh my God!

Big Brother is out to get us! George Orwell was right. Smart meters are a giant conspiracy by the abusive and already overly powerful and manipulative cartel of multi national owned domestic energy providers.

Why didn't I think of that?

Mobile phones all cause cancer as well, did you know that? You should all ditch those at the same time. Why would want to lay yourself open to future abuse by the already overly powerful and manipulative cartel of multi national owned mobile phone providers that we have as they tend to do nothing that is not primarily in their own interests?

Scary eh!

I would recommend lining all your windows with tin foil and wearing a hat lined with the same material.

That should do it. ;-)

thanks for sharing

NO, we are frequently pestered by Southern Energy supplier to have one NO I say, they have NO advantage to me only the Energy Companies , I will still use the same amount of Energy either way, my neighbor has one and he is constantly moaning about it, , so no I will not have one until forced to do so.

Archived