Smart tips

Mick H.

Trying to think of ways to keep the motor looking tiidy, longer.One that is probably obvious to everybody is dont leave the keys in the door when you unlock it especially if there is a bunch.The other keys swing about and leave little chips in the paintwork. Anybody got any more.Simple ideas that should be obvious but aren't always done.

Mick H.

Mick H. - 2008-07-24 11:18 PM

Trying to think of ways to keep the motor looking tiidy, longer.One that is probably obvious to everybody is dont leave the keys in the door when you unlock it especially if there is a bunch.The other keys swing about and leave little chips in the paintwork. Anybody got any more.Simple ideas that should be obvious but aren't always done.

Mick H.

Our keys mick never swing and the reason is they are on one of those long things that hang around your neck with a carabina type thing .

Comes in real handy as at night we hang a set on the fire extinquisher and hide the other set ..they are real handy things and have a good clip on them.

Usually to be purchsed in a sports shop or surfing shop in Cornwall ..ripcurl stuff you know

:D

Always take the carpets out of a new(ish) van and replace them with remnants to save wear and tear. Cheap enough to buy and no worries with muddy shoes or cooking spills etc.

Another thing I do is run the hookup cable through my hand when reeling in or out. Applies to any electrical cable, with any nicks or cuts on the outer lining easily detected.

Mick H. - 2008-07-25 9:00 AM

With electric cable whats the tip for remembering to unhook it. Time somebody came up with an alarm same as the step buzzer.

I am in the process of designing a solenoid operated ignition isolator that will not allow your vehicle to be started whilst on mains hook up.

donna miller - 2008-07-25 9:29 AM

With electric cable whats the tip for remembering to unhook it. Time somebody came up with an alarm same as the step buzzer.

I am in the process of designing a solenoid operated ignition isolator that will not allow your vehicle to be started whilst on mains hook up.

sounds good to me.

Read a few threads on this subject and don,t see why this is a problem. As with all aspects of motoring responsibilty lies with the owner to ensure everything is as it should be, and this includes on site checks as well.

Only takes a minute or two before driving off to walk around the van to make sure lockers, cables, tyres, gas and everything else is right or stowed away safely. The same applies inside, with cupboards, rooflights or any loose items put away and ready for the road.

Had a few mishaps like everyone else, but it soon becomes routine. Another thing I do is drive on a few yards then check to see nothing is left behind that may have been placed under the van and would,nt be the first time something of value has been lost this way.

It should be fairly straight foreward Mick,

I am planning to use a 240v solenoid ( power to be taken from control panel, or even the back of the mains plug) When power is present, the solenoid will be activated and either a mechanical (plunger) or electrical current will then activate a limit switch.

This switch will break into the starter wire from the ignition, your normal ignition supply will still be available, the only thing disabled will be the power to the starter.

When the mains is disconnected, the solenoid closes or retracts the plunger and the limit switch will once more allow power to reach the starter.

N.B. when I say power to the starter, I am refering to the 12v from the key that activates the starter solenoid, and not the actual starter cable.

The simplicity of it is that if any problems occur, the wire from the 12v can simply be cut and joined, to bypass the limit switch.

There, easy :-S

donna miller - 2008-07-25 9:29 AM
Mick H. - 2008-07-25 9:00 AM With electric cable whats the tip for remembering to unhook it. Time somebody came up with an alarm same as the step buzzer.

There are already a couple available in the marketplace.

All the Tesco and Sainsbury home delivery vehicles have had these fitted following a very large number of drivers leaving the stores still hooked up and causing expensive damage to the vans. 

I'll have a go at getting manufacturer details, specs etc.

Gosh Donna, You must be so clever .... I wouldn't have a clue where to even start on anything like that.... I'm gobsmacked.

Another tip: following on from Carol's , when you have had one of those REALLY REALLLY good cleaning days where it shines all over outside and all the nooks and crannies are done, polish the rubber bits round windows and nozzles etc with CLEAR wax shoe polish - it helps stop the black lines running down.

donna miller - 2008-07-25 1:54 PM

Thanks Bazza, I thought there must be a commercially available item somewhere, I just fancied having a go at one myself, got to keep the grey matter in shape somehow.

Donna, you're either Clive Mott Gotobed in drag or you're a relation of his aren't you! (lol)

Ah gosh, I'm blushing now.

Just got back from Newgale sands in west Wales, you should all visit here, it's on the Haverfordwest to St Davids rd, you can't miss it. The site is on the other side of the road to the beach, honestly, you can throw a stone from the beach and it will hit your van. £5 per person per night, no hook-up but lovely clean (free) showers and toilets. The site is flat all over, but can get boggy in bad weather.

They don't take bookings, and touring caravans are not allowed (no licence apparently), even though the site is used by a lot of surfers, it is very quiet at nights, no groups of rowdy teens. There is a shop next door and a pub that does food, It's on the Pembroke coastal walk route, so loads of walking if that's your thing.

Now Dave you wouldn't be taking the micky out of my grammar and punctuation would you 8-) You know what I mean just that she is talented ..I bow to all your superior writing skills although, mine has gotten better since this forum..If only a little . :D

davenewell@home - 2008-07-27 9:16 PM

"is there an end to your talents Flying HGV" Crikey Michele, you mean apart from everything else Donna can get a truck up in the sky?

I bow to the superior being that is named Donna >:-) >:-)

D.

Would there perchance, be a hint of sarcasm there Mr Newel :D

Interesting item in this months CC Mag re touring in Spain and France - seems that robbers are damaging tyres in petrol stations car parks and similar then following you to rob you when the tyre is flat and you stop to fix it.

Also mentioned in the same article bogus policemen in Spain stop you after a stone throwing incident back up the road as you drive through - all a scam to get you to stop and then rob you.

Good advice it seems but to be fair we have never had a problem

Archived