Snorkeling ...

Mel B

Okay - on our trip to Scotland shortly we've heard about people snorkeling - I've never done this myself but am a good swimmer - soooooo

Kit = snorkel, goggles - do I need flippers? What should I look for when purchasing the kit? :-S

Is it difficult? *-)

I've only snorkled twice in my life - the first time off an island near Margarita - only problem I couldn't swim, said I could and there was a strong current - not recommended! and the second time was once I had learnt to swim and it was in swimming class in the pool so very uninteresting unless you wanted to study a plaster on the floor etc.

However, my friend does alot and uses flippers and takes her camera and gets some lovely photos!

It will be less labour intensive with flippers Mel. I'd get a wetsuit as well for scottish waters. They are quite cheap these days...£25.00.

Before putting on the mask lightly spit in it and rub the spittle around the lens. Also lightly wet your face and then press the mask onto your chops with your fingers to get a good seal.

Bring 'us back a kipper there's a good girl.

When camping with the kids in France, all we seemed to do all day was grab the flippers, mask and snorkel and run down into the sea.

The beauty of snorkelling is when you can just lay face down on the surface and see with such clarity all that skims along below you. It is like flying. Just a lazy flick of your flippers propels you to another area to explore.

A few years ago (when we had hot summers - remember those? :-S) we even used them in the river Avon where we live and I was staggered at the colours and numbers of the fish we saw.

Only thing I suffered from was a sunburnt back where it was exposed to the sun for long periods and the water droplets on my back seemed to act like lenses. - Ouch! So if you or your kids do snorkel in hot climes DO wear a T-Shirt.

Not sure this will be a problem in Scotland tho? 8-)

But what you see when snorkelling will be well worth the effort.

I would agree with CliveH that it's worth the effort, but, depending on how good a swimmer you are, be aware of the depth of the water that you are getting into.

It's easy to get a bit carried away with the 'view'

Have a good trip.

ROON - 2009-08-04 3:34 PM

Sounds wonderful Mel. I'd be too afraid as not a strong swimmer but I hope you really enjoy it..... am quite envious. Joy

If you stay well within your depth you don't need to be a strong swimmer.

;-)

Great memories.

Sitting in a pool with the snorkel at the edge of a cove in Cyprus in water just deep enough to cover my head. A shoal of tiny silver fish decided to go into tight orbit around my head at eye level with a sort of halo effect.

Another time in the Med had a major panic when i thought i was running into a huge jellyfish but it turned out to be a plastic sac.

Just stirring the bottom usually attracts fish.

Mel

I have snorkeled in several countries around the world, must must confess that they have all been hot. Even took the gear to Croatia. Not sure that I would want to plan for Scotland but if the equipment was there then I think that I would use it. I was snorkeling in the Maldives, very hot, water shallow over reef and at a nice temp when I decided to get a piccy of the seeward side of the reef, as soon as I swam over the edge the temp changed and I was shivering in seconds until my body adjusted. Clive is right about keeping your back covered. I would suggest that you purchase a throw away water proof camera, very cheap, you will find that about half the pic's are of empty water when the film is devoleped as the fish just wont wait for the shutter to operate. But for the 2 or 3 good pic's it is worth the investment. I will see if I can find mine and scan some in.

Joy

There is no problem with wearing a life jacket and giving it a go

Geof

I too would be very interested in the answer to Mel's specific question - anyone got a make and/or model of the mask and snorkel that has worked well for them please?. I tried a combi-mask/snorkel device with a built in valve a few years ago but chucked it out after it constantly filled with water through the valve and a dodgy side-seal.

Thanks,

Bob

duetto owner - 2009-08-06 7:50 PM check the snorkle for a valve in the air tube, I was always used to a valve then used some free hotel gear with no valve and had a large lung full of seawater.

Afraid I have to say I completely disagree with this.  The valve is an unnecessary complication and a potential danger.  A simple, open ended tube is far better.  You stick your tongue in the end when you dive, which keeps the water out of your mouth, and you need to retain enough air in your lungs on surfacing for one sharp blow, which is all it takes to clear the accumulated water.  Simples!

How you get on will depend on what you do, but remember two things.  First, sea swimming is very different from pool/river swimming, because the sea has waves, so you have to fit your strokes to the rhythm of the waves.  Second, the gear that seals to your shape of head and face may be useless to anyone else!  You need to try on the masks and, with the straps adjusted, try breathing in.  If the mask seals properly minor panic will set in - until you remember you can just take it off again!  All this means you need to go to a decent dive shop, so that you get a good choice of gear.

I think it is a distinct advantage to be able to swim under water with your eyes open and no mask.  Then, if the mask should be knocked off, or loosen and fill with water, you don't panic - because you can still see which way up you are!

I haven't tried the full face variety of mask, that have built in snorkels, but suspect they would be very prone to steaming up.  I would tend to go for a mask that covers only the eyes and nose, and a simple snorkel, with a loop strap you can feed through one of the mask side straps, to keep it nice and firm.

You can spit into the mask to control misting, but I always found a little puddle of water worked better.  Then, if it starts to mist, you just waggle your head from side to side to slosh the water around, and Bob's yer Uncle!

The current trend with fins is for them to be huge, but for unassisted diving, and just trawling the surface, I think I'd stick with the smaller variety.  I have also heard the larger fins can induce cramp in the less familiar/fit.  The ones with a moulded in shoe, rather than just a back strap are good, provided the fit and quality is right.

Always try out the gear in shallow water first, and don't get out of your depth until you completely master the knack of clearing the mist from the mask, and blowing the water from the snorkel.

To dive, you just do a part forward roll, and then straighten your legs into the air as you rotate.  Their weight will send you down with no effort and, once the fins are below the water, off you go.  Hands are for steering and legs for propulsion.  Nice easy, slow, up and down strokes with the legs, so you use as little energy as possible and you'll be amazed at how long you can stay down.

Up to a point, the deeper you go the easier it gets, because that great lung full of air you take before you dive (you did remember that, didn't you ;-)), that is trying to burst from your chest at the surface, is compressed by the water pressure so, a couple of metres or more down, it just stays put. Remember to leave enough puff for coming back up, it is easy to get captivated by what you are doing/seeing and forget how far down you are. 

If your ears start singing, you're probably about as deep as it is wise for you to go.

Always walk into the water backwards, trying to walk forwards wearing fins is a mug's game, though great fun for everyone else!  Oh yes, and don't jump in, cos your mask will come straight off - along with most of your nose!

I think that's about it!  Have fun and take it steady.  It's a different world down there, but it ain't your world, you're just a visitor!

Mel I cant think of anywhere in Scotland that would be suitable for snorkeling!! thats just me though Im probably wrong!! and you would definately need a wet suit the water is freezing. Ive snorkelled in places like the Dominican Rep; where the water was like bath water, and you have to be carefull not to get out of your depth as its easy to get too far out when using flippers and too engrossed on whats under the water and unless your a very good strong swimmer you could find yourself coming back against the tide, Id have your O.H. with the canoe following if I was you.

Brian seems to know his stuff so I would heed his advise.

Thanks Brian! :-D

A lot of good tips there and I now have a wonderful mental image of my hubby all kitted up trying to walk into the water forwards!!!!! :D (lol)

Can't wait till next Friday!!! I just hope the weather is good. :->

Mel B - 2009-08-08 9:51 PM Thanks Brian! :-D A lot of good tips there and I now have a wonderful mental image of my hubby all kitted up trying to walk into the water forward!!!!! :D (lol) Can't wait till next Friday!!! I just hope the weather is good. :->

One thing I forgot to say: generally speaking the water will be likely, as stated above, to be absolutely bleedin' freezin'!  You will be likely to need a wet suit, and yer winter coms on underneath! 

If you swim only on a rising tide (always wise in the sea), only from a shingle beach, only on sunny days, and then only in the mid/late afternoon, so the sea has come up over the warmed stones, you will find the bit by the shore is reasonably warm and you may be OK in a normal costume.

You may sometimes find a relatively sheltered cove where the water is a bit warmer, but otherwise, and especially you swim further out, you will suddenly hit the "cold front", where the water has not been warmed, and boy will you know it!  You will be swimming in the North Atlantic, and warm it isn't, and the wet suit is likely to be a necessity.

I once bailed over the side of a boat off the South Cornish coast, to go down for some sea urchins.  I don't fully remember what happened next, but my friends in the boat said I was like one of those cartoon characters who run energetically in the air as the go over the cliff.  Apparently, I virtually bounced off the water and straight back into the boat!  All I can remember was that the cold took all my breath away, and the water felt like a cold vice gripping my head. 

Which also reminds me, if you get a wet suit, make sure it has feet and a hood!  Cold water can make your head ache so meting rotten!  Not trying to put you off, but forewarned is forearmed.  :-)

Brian Kirby - 2009-08-10 12:39 PM

Which also reminds me, if you get a wet suit, make sure it has feet and a hood!  Cold water can make your head ache so meting rotten!  Not trying to put you off, but forewarned is forearmed.  :-)

Icecream head we call it.

Brian's post reminded me of the Billy Connolly story about how North Sea oil platforms have constant warnings to staff on the Tannoy and posters that they must wear full survival gear against the cold if there is any risk of people ending up in the sea, meanwhile, a few miles away, Scottish mothers are chucking their kids into the sea with nothing more than swimming costumes on and telling 'em not to be wimps complaining about the cold............... tough lot up there apparently.

Bob :-)

Archived