Snub to the Queen

nightrider

So French president Sarkozy refuses to invite the Queen to the 65th anniversary of D-Day and Gordon brown refuses to act, not only is this a snub to the Queen but a snub to all our people who died on D-Day.

Sarkozy, poison dwarf that he is, prefers to lick the boots of Obama.

Wow. I didn't know about this. What is it about SOME of the French people that they don't seem to acknowledge what our soldiers did in the war ..... I once met with real animocity in South of France and was verbally attacked that we (English) should stop thinking that 'because of the war, we seem to feel we are welcome in their country.' Is it embarrassment or guilt or a feeling of inadequacy ..... Joy

It could be that some of the french remember that the british fleet blew their navey ships and sailors to bits, even though we were supposed to be on the same side once the germans got their grip on france.

Throughout the ages France and England have never been totally happy neighbours

ROON - 2009-05-27 11:21 AM

Wow. I didn't know about this. What is it about SOME of the French people that they don't seem to acknowledge what our soldiers did in the war ..... I once met with real animocity in South of France and was verbally attacked that we (English) should stop thinking that 'because of the war, we seem to feel we are welcome in their country.' Is it embarrassment or guilt or a feeling of inadequacy ..... Joy

Joy

I think there is a difference between what our soldiers did during the war

65 years ago and 'us'

I'm not sure that 'we' have done anything that should make us especially welcome in France, with the possible exception of spending vast amounts over there on camping !

I crossed the channel to France on the 50th anniversary of D-Day, on a French ferry (Brittany Ferries).

The D-Day veterans on board were treated extremely well, including a free bottle of brandy each, and in Normandy itself they were welcomed with open arms.

knight of the road - 2009-05-27 11:14 AM

So French president Sarkozy refuses to invite the Queen to the 65th anniversary of D-Day and Gordon brown refuses to act, not only is this a snub to the Queen but a snub to all our people who died on D-Day.

Malc

What do you want Gordon Brown to do about it ?

malc d - 2009-05-27 12:32 PM

knight of the road - 2009-05-27 11:14 AM

Malc

What do you want Gordon Brown to do about it ?

malc,

I would have thought Gordon Brown being our prime minister would have had serious words with Sarkozy instead of saying NOTHING at all.

Is Sarkozy frightened of the Queen stealing his glory or is he miffed that Obama after being made US president sought out a meeting with Gordon Brown first rather than having words with Sarkozy, Sarkozy in my opinion is nothing but a short a*** jumped up little poppinjay just like that long streak of p*** and wind president De Gaul.

Dithering lack of positive action by Brown is another nail in his coffin at election time.

I personally dont have much time for the French as soon as they saw the first puff of smoke from the German Panzers they hauled up the white flag and the women dropped their clouts.

Within five minutes of the Germans taking over France they were denouncing and condemning thousands of Jews to their deaths.

It would appear from tonight's news reports that the slight was from good old Grasping Gordon and not M'sieur Sarkozy (sp?) Apparently the "celebration" such as it is, is organised jointly by the British and French Governments and the invited heads of state are jointly chosen.

D.

Let's be honest we weren't liberating the surrender monkeys our forefathers and mothers were fighting the Nazis, France just happened to be geographically the right place to start. As in the prvious post about bombing the french navy before in came into German hands we were not above sacrificing allies for the greater good and perhaps the french remember that too. I personally don't care a hoot about the royal family representing me and my country but i do care that veterans and serving members of the armed forces are there to honour the fallen and i believe these people are showm respect and dignity by the ordinary french people.

In todays Daily Mail on page 5, Steven Glover has written a very good article on this snub by the French, well worth reading.

Apart from the Queen and the British public being snubbed and insulted why were the Canadians not invited? Is it because the Queen is head of State of Canada?

Peter Allen, again from the Daily Mail gives a good write up of Sarkozys father and what he did or should I say what he did not do during the war.

I dont think Nicholas teakozy is a friend of the British.

I have been to France many times during the last 20 years and have always found the French very pleasant and welcoming. It is only my opinion but we should not judge all the 'French' because of their Prime Minister, just as I would hope that many other nations do not judge all of us because of our Prime Minister (?)

Big Momma - 2009-06-02 7:21 PM

I have been to France many times during the last 20 years and have always found the French very pleasant and welcoming. It is only my opinion but we should not judge all the 'French' because of their Prime Minister, just as I would hope that many other nations do not judge all of us because of our Prime Minister (?)

I wouldn't judge the French by their Prime Minister, Francois Fillon,

or by their President.

From what I have read online, and listening to a young French

lady (journalist ?) on the news tonight it seems that many French people think that President Sarkozy is trying a bit too hard to 'be' an American, and is even reported to go jogging in a t-shirt with NYPD on the front.

It seems he wants to be photographed as much as possible with the American president and doesn't want anyone else in the picture.

It's just possible that this incident is not Gordon Browns fault (even though everything else may be).

;-)

Archived