So?

chatterdog

First time at the Pickering showground Maggie so perhaps the others are waiting to see what sought of response there is before commiting themselves.

Looking for a 'flush fitting' brass clock for the van. Thats one that does'nt need a hole cut in the woodwork to fit it in due to the battery access. Any ideas out there.

Hope you don,t mind me asking Maggie, but why did you opt for the 5th wheeler set up rather than say, a conventional car/caravan.

Not being critical in any way, and always been an admirer of these rigs, but apart from the obvious advantage of space with those slid out sections are there any other benefits that you find with them.

thats ok Howie. Used to have a caravan years ago didnt like the constant trips to the water/waste pipes etc, and the fact that i didnt feel comfortable when lorries/coaches overtook me and 'dragged me in'. None of that with a 5th wheel really stable to drive doesnt 'wag' and it has large enough white/grey and black tanks(can just run hoses from the nearest water stand to fill every 5 days or so, and run a hose from the waste(grey) holding tank to the nearest drain to empty. Looked at motorhomes too but like a bit of space so the cost for something i would like is outlandish plus then i would have to tow a car (liked the one based on the international cab/chassis - only £125,000). Why tax/insure 2 vehicles for this hobby. The pickup is a double cab plenty of room and its tax bracket is LGV so no £400 for me by 2010 as at present LGV bracket vehicles arent going up like PLG vehicles, - and im quite partial to my rocking/swivel armchair (granny that i am).They have better insulation so are warmer in winter, cooler in summer and you dont hear everyone talking when they go pastdue to the insulation giving better soundproofing, same applies to the noise we might make,can have the radio/tv on at a reasonable level and indoing so we dont make our neighbours have to put up with it as you cant hear it unless standing right by an open window or door (the windows are double glazed tinted toughened glass

Guest Tracker
chatterdog - 2008-08-29 11:54 AM

neighhhhhh lad - and if we are there im pretty easy to find either by my unit (avatar) or the 'real' chatterdog (my black greyhound) who will be with me when looking round the trade stands.

Far be it for me to tell you how to take care of your dog, but is it fair on a dog to be dragged around all those trade stalls with the bustle of the crowd and the restrictions of where you can take it.

Is all the inconvenience it can cause to other show goers also fair on them?

Our dog happily sleeps in the van, where she is also on intruder alert just in case anyone wants to take her for a walk, awaiting our return.

howie - 2008-08-29 11:21 AM

First time at the Pickering showground Maggie so perhaps the others are waiting to see what sought of response there is before commiting themselves.

Looking for a 'flush fitting' brass clock for the van. Thats one that does'nt need a hole cut in the woodwork to fit it in due to the battery access. Any ideas out there.

I got a fine brass clock to replace a cheapo for the camper Howie. My old clock was attached to the wall using the "disc" shaped velcro tabs placed around the clock wooden surround.

My intention is to get a Wood Turner to make me a light wooden plinth for the brass replacement and attach it to the wall in the same fashion.

Thank you for that comprehensive reply Maggie and now fully educated on the advantages that come with a 5th wheeler. Makes you wonder why caravan makers have never had a go with slide outs, or maybe they have, but like that van conversion of a year or two ago the cost and possible problems proved to much.

Hi Richard. I take your point on 'dragging' a dog around these shows, but Maggie, like most other responsible owners will be fully aware on whether her dog is happy with this or not. Our old dog Bonnie used to love the hustle and bustle when we took her around the various stalls, with all those new scents to investigate and everyone making a fuss of her.

I don,t think this as a inconveinience to others, not if the dog is well behaved and kept under control, and stopping to pet someone elses dog is always guaranteed to break the ice and engage in a conversation that might otherwise not happen.

Hey Rich. They do say that dogs are like their owners and maybe your's prefers to stay in the van because its aggressive, neurotic and anti-social. he he.

bob b - 2008-09-01 6:40 PM

howie - 2008-08-29 11:21 AM

I got a fine brass clock to replace a cheapo for the camper Howie. My old clock was attached to the wall using the "disc" shaped velcro tabs placed around the clock wooden surround.

My intention is to get a Wood Turner to make me a light wooden plinth for the brass replacement and attach it to the wall in the same fashion.

Hi Bob. Making a wooden plinth for the clock would seem to be the only way of mounting the clock without cutting a hole because you need access to the battery. No intention of making this hole in one one of the cabinet doors, or anywhere else for that matter so i,ll bide my time until something suitable turns up. Mother in law has a real beauty hanging on her kitchen wall, but getting it into my possession will be difficult to say the least, but it does give me some idea of what i,m looking for and double sided tape should be good enough to replace the single hook now holding it there, but keep those ideas coming.

I forgot to add tha you have oodles of payload, most important when wanting to take loads of stuff especially on extended holidays - or for bringing stuff back you have bought.

'Fraid my greyhound loves going round the trade area, maybe it reminds her of her far distant days when she raced, she doesnt drag to get to other people or any dogs but is happy to say hello to either human or dog even the odd horse or two. She stays by my side or my o.h.s side and i wouldnt dream of leaving her cooped up in a van whilst i went out somewhere for 2 or 3 hours, (everyone to their own though)and to date i would imagine she has caused no inconvienence to anyone nor has she ever done any 'jobs' when walking around the trade area(this is the only inconvienience i could think you would mean).

Infact i know she loves the shows and when not out walking she loves to lie outside the van and watch people/dogs walk by, never barks to attract attention and never tries to get to people /dogs when outside the van.

Guest Tracker
howie - 2008-09-01 7:11 PM

Hey Rich. They do say that dogs are like their owners and maybe your's prefers to stay in the van because its aggressive, neurotic and anti-social. he he.

Why is it Howie that you can never resist having a go at me?

Is it because you are aggressive, neurotic and anti-social?

Sorry about that Richard and thought you would have realised it was just a bit of fun. Obviously not, and I will of course desist, with immediate effect, from any further comments that may offend your sensibilities.

;-)

howie - 2008-09-01 11:08 PM

Sorry about that Richard and thought you would have realised it was just a bit of fun. Obviously not, and I will of course desist, with immediate effect, from any further comments that may offend your sensibilities.

;-)

Howie

How the hell are you going to do that then

Surely you cannot mean you are going to stop posting altogether eh :-> :-> :->

Archived