Sony books

michele

Just caught the tale end of the news tonight and on it they had a guy at the British Liabary talking about this Sony book .

The best way I can explain it is it looks like a palm hand held computer and apparently it can hold around 150 books it marks the page and probably does a whole host of other things. Costs around £199 I think they said what a fantastic prezzie I am not sure how you select the titles of the books that you wish to read definately save on humping loads of books on holidays save on the payload.

Anyone heard of them or know what they are called.

Yes I could buy rather alot for that amount couldnt I thing is its not a bad gadget will have to read more about it . Would be nice if him & me could share it his and my books all in one box but that wouldnt work would it he would want it when I had it typical men a :D

Ranndoneur

The holiday was well what can I say no comment Rosie led us a dogs life and Freddie was excellent still had a few fits every day but no hospital stops thank god she was well enough .

Thanks for the link that exactly what I was talking about maybe it will be on my xmas card list .

maggyd - 2008-09-02 10:42 PM

would I be able to drop off asleep the same? as I do after a couple of pages of a good book. :-D

Funny thing that dropping off to sleep when you begin reading, myself I couldn't read anything because of that but low and behold I read my FIRST book right through without a single nod the last time we were in Spain.

Imagine that, reading your first book when you couldn't read one through all your earlier life.

It was wonderful, really wonderful. I am taking loads of books with me on Friday

Was on BBC news this morning, there are a couple of types and they are not compatable with each others books, although they come with 100? books included I think they said £7.99 for each extra book. It appears the amazon version you can download first couple of chapters free to see if you like book then pay for remainder.

bazza you're welcome good idea eh :D

Ok looking at martins & sylvias link read some more and yes you have to buy the books seperately but some run a book club and you can exchange . Not sure as they are all charging different amounts eventually it will catch on I suppsoe it is expensive at first until you build your set Umh me thinks more reading about it first :-|

Good idea if you can find a package and get so many free .

Guest JudgeMental

When my local library starts supporting them with free software maybe then I will get one....

but I will need 2 or 3 for the wife and kids!

Wonder what they are like on a bright summer day, as laptops are near enough impossible to use outside or by the pool

and battery life etc....

I did read about this 'e book' a few days ago Sylvia. Some reservations by the reviewer re. eye strain and slow page turnover, but does have its merits.

No doubt it will appeal to many, but at this stage it seems no more than another rather expensive toy and i,ll stick to my hardbacks for now.

I'm afraid I am with you Howie, I don't think its for me yet. Never say never as the saying goes. I can't see it being any good for reading in bed I would probably drop it, it looks ok for using on holiday when space in your suitcase is at a premium but if you already have an iPod then you can download the talking books. I have just retrieved a friends' hard disk drive with all his info on it and he has the Sebastian Faulk book Birdsong and also Alan Bennett Untold Stories and I am sure there are lots of other talking books that can be had.

Nice to see the cat back.

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2008-09-05 5:33 PM

I think the ability to enlarge font size could be a good selling point.

Yes, I like that......and should have looked at link before posting*-)

but its the first, so lots will follow with a probable format war as well.

maybe next christmas :-D

£200+ is alot of money to drop off the bed when you fall asleep fair point .

Talking books my son wouldnt read the one thing they done for him is gave him intonation ,I think thsat what you call it anyway . Hubby likes a good talking book and you can get anything .

Randonneur - 2008-09-05 12:40 PM

I'm afraid I am with you Howie, I don't think its for me yet. Never say never as the saying goes. I can't see it being any good for reading in bed I would probably drop it, it looks ok for using on holiday when space in your suitcase is at a premium but if you already have an iPod then you can download the talking books. I have just retrieved a friends' hard disk drive with all his info on it and he has the Sebastian Faulk book Birdsong and also Alan Bennett Untold Stories and I am sure there are lots of other talking books that can be had.

Nice to see the cat back.

Now I like the talking books I was lent the girl with a pearl earing, and Oh what do they call the big chap with a beard with a deep voice that was in Z Cars?? anyway he was telling his life story!! it was very funny I enjoyed listening to that.

I think it would be ideal for students that have to carry lots of heavy books.

Guest JudgeMental

Review of this and the other two types available in sunday times.

like I said earlier, different publishers and book sellers are getting behind these 3 types of I book, and they are not interchangable.... The recomendation was to wait till next year and see who wins the format battle :-D

JudgeMental - 2008-09-07 9:12 PM

Review of this and the other two types available in sunday times.

like I said earlier, different publishers and book sellers are getting behind these 3 types of I book, and they are not interchangable.... The recomendation was to wait till next year and see who wins the format battle :-D

It looks like we are back to the old scenario VHS v Betamax springs to mind.

Archived