Spacious Pitch

Guest TC01

When I arrive on site I look out for 2 vacant pitches that are side by side, I pitch on one and using my ‘pitch reserved’ sign I place it on the other thus I have a spacious pitch.

For this season I’m ordering another sign in order to reserve a pitch either side of me.

euroanchor - 2007-01-08 4:21 PM

Why not just get your wife or kids to lie down on the vacant pitch, they can then tell other visitors they are reserving the pitch.

I tend to park on pitches with the reserved signs, then tell the owners I am dyslexic and thought it was my reg number.

Another good weaz is: when you see a caravanner arrive on the other side of the site, wait until he has erected his awning then sneak up behind his van and place your ‘Pitch Reserved’ sign then sneak back to your own van then drive to the new arrivals pitch, jump out of your van waving your arms in utter disgust that he has ignored your sign and parked on your pitch and demand that he moves, when he’s taken down his awning and hitched the caravan to the car explain the joke and return to your own pitch.

TC01 - 2007-01-08 4:31 PM

euroanchor - 2007-01-08 4:21 PM

Why not just get your wife or kids to lie down on the vacant pitch, they can then tell other visitors they are reserving the pitch.

I tend to park on pitches with the reserved signs, then tell the owners I am dyslexic and thought it was my reg number.

Another good weaz is: when you see a caravanner arrive on the other side of the site, wait until he has erected his awning then sneak up behind his van and place your ‘Pitch Reserved’ sign then sneak back to your own van then drive to the new arrivals pitch, jump out of your van waving your arms in utter disgust that he has ignored your sign and parked on your pitch and demand that he moves, when he’s taken down his awning and hitched the caravan to the car explain the joke and return to your own pitch.

With the caravanner trying to run you down. I bet you wouldn't have the bottle to actually pull that stunt. (lol) :D

You must be related to the pratt who though it a good idea to stick his table and chairs on the vacant pitch next to him to reserve it for his daughter and her caravan. We didn't know and ended up on the other side of him in a pitch which wasn't ideal for our needs as it wasn't as level so we ended up having to mess about with chocks, needless to say we weren't very happy when his daughter arrived and he moved the table & chairs for her. I can understand them wanting to be near to each other but if that's the case they should've arrived together or he should've been prepared to use the 'lesser' pitch so as not to deprive someone (us) of the benefit of the other pitch seeing as we'd bothered to arrive earlier. Some people can be quite selfish as the original poster demonstrates. :-(

MelB,

I totally agree with your last post, it makes it worse when the Warden gives you a pitch number and you drive round the site to find a reserved sign on it. Go back to Warden and he says I will investigate, but here is another pitch, then you find the same again, and it is as you say people reserving pitches for others. If they had to pay for reserving pitches you would not see many signs.

David

(?) ok, im new to this malarky (!) so.....do you buy these 'reserved pitch' signs or make your own????????? and do you mean you are paying for one pitch but using two?? i guess so. wouldnt you just be told to move in that case (or headbutted??!!!)? hell, sounds complicated. to us new motorhomers it sounds like there are some pitch-posessive sado's out there???!!!!! (sorry!!) (lol)

Guest starspirit

Welcome to the mad house Clare. You're right there are a lot of nasty people about!

The only blessing is that whilst motorhoming you probably won't meet any of them!

The worst types of pitch protectors and expanders are the c*r*v*n mustn't say the rude word) and 4x4 owners, who will always extend their little kingdoms by the use of half a dozen windbreaks. This always used to be worse on CC sites for some reason (I only put that in to annoy someone)

However as these types often have a collection of abnoxious and noisy little brats in tow they are best given a wide berth.

We motor caravanners are all a little bonkers - we have to be to tolerate the way we are treated by the authorities and the rest of the population who regard us all with such unfounded deep suspicion and seem to think that we all drive about leaving a trail of rubbish and desecration.

You can buy or have made up a sign at some cost or you can get some bits of wood / metal / plastic from the garage / shed and neatly / untidily write / print / paint the words 'Pitch reserved - thank you' followed by either the words 'Motorhome' and / or your registration number / overall length (not that - the van). The real enthusiasts add their names - like Derby & Joan - or similar.

You can then either fix the sign to a short pole which you will be unable to push into the ground or you can make it hinged and folding in which case the wind will blow it over.

Use whatever you store it in or tie it up with to tie on the steering wheel to remind you not to drive orf without it!

I have a different cure as I never stay two nights in the same place although I have carried a sign for 30 years which, apart from having had umpteen new numbers over painted on it, remains just as rusty as the day I first made it.

Cynical ? Me? Never - realistic YES.

Was at Hollands wood in the New Forest one year and its the kind of site with no fixed pitches, you just keep the 20ft away from others.

Four caravans arrived together pitched and proceeded to erect a plastic fence around themselves like you see at exhibitions and outdoor events.

Needless to say once the wardens spotted it, it was soon taken down again.

Ralph - 2007-01-11 4:45 PM

I notice that sites in the New Forest now specifically warn against using windbreaks that way now. Not sure if this is part of the C&CC takeover but surely a good thing.

It's because someone complained about it. Theres a letter in either M.M.M or C.C magazine. I don't know why these morons go camping to experience the outdoor life, then proceed to erect a miniature housing estate. What a bunch of wallies. I think it's a right laugh watching them performing.

Forester - 2007-01-15 8:46 AM

I have a camper-van! could I be classed as a MotorHomer? or do I have to put a plum in my mouth?. 8-) now now Howie dont answer that!!!!  I.L.M.U.O. 8-)

Can,t think of anywhere else you could stick your plum at the moment Wayne. Not to worry though, as soon as you get a picture up you,ll find you will be accepted everywhere you go, although using a wine glass for your lager will help. ;-)

clareh - 2007-01-15 1:44 AM

okay, i get the point....i think?! but - cringeworthy as it may be - i think its rude and unfair to pay for one pitch and use up more.

Hi Clare. Using up more than your allocated space is rude and unfair, especially at busy times when you might be denying someone else a place on site.

I would,nt worry to much over losing your pitch. There are some who might try this, but they are very few and far between, and a simple reserved sign should avoid any problems. Howard.

Archived