Spain over the Winter

Jack9900

Hi all, a newbee here, just got my mh, and thinking of going over to Spain, down near Gib for the winter, out Nov, back March.. Are there people that do/have done this.. Is there a regular gathering of winter escapees, can anyone give me a few pointers, things i should know about, do before i go, documents needed, or things not to do.. etc etc

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It rather depends on where you plan to stay and for how long. There are many thousands of retirees among others, from all over Europe, including UK, who spend winters in Spain and campsites and ferries get very booked up. Bookings have opened for both so, if that is uour plan, then you might like to look at booking in for places you really want to stay or, when there, ringing ahead to check before driving long distances to find no space.

If you are going to stay on aires then be flexible. Many Spanish aires are privately owned and take bookings so do tend to get clogged with long- term stayers in winter. “ Wild” camping is tolerated in many places but, over the years, we have noticed those places are becoming less in number and you can’ t take it for granted that you will mot get, politely, moved on by the local police.

You will need gas for heating etc as it does get cold at night. You cannot exchange UK Calor bottles in Spain and there are regulations about using Spanish bottles. Many people fit refillable cylinders or tanks ( Gaslow, Alugas etc) to make it easier. You need to look into this.

Campercontact and Search4 sites are useful apps, among many others, to help you find places to stay.

An ACSI discount card is an excellent thing to have and, by giving discounts on sites, will save you money if you use sites.

Enjoy your winter. We always do !

I don’t want to put a damper on your plans but be aware that when/if we leave the EU you will only be allowed to stay for a maximum total of 90 days in any 180 days. This is because of the Schengan Area rules. Spain and most of the EU are members of this Area.

There may be ways around this but they are not clear at the moment.

Cattwg :-D

Good post by Fifo ..I would say as for Spanish gas bottles most campsites/Aires will sell you a bottle and you just need the Spanish regulator from a Ferretteria (Hardware Shop) If you try to buy from a garage they usually want a deposit and address for a contract .so dont go to a garage for one.

BKen1 - 2019-07-31 7:11 PM

Good post by Fifo ..I would say as for Spanish gas bottles most campsites/Aires will sell you a bottle and you just need the Spanish regulator from a Ferretteria (Hardware Shop) If you try to buy from a garage they usually want a deposit and address for a contract .so dont go to a garage for one.

If you have a fixed bulkhead Regulator in your van , you cannot simply fit a Spanish bottle in your van as you have to use a Type Spanish regulator to do this, this could mean the removal of your bulkhead reg or getting the correct fittings to fit the Spanish bottle to your existing reg. Car boot sales in Spain are a good source of gas bottles especially REPSOL bottles which are interchangeable in Portugal, if you have an exterior gas Barbi fitting you can run a bottle through this using the correct Regulator , just turn your existing bottles OFF leaning them in Situ and connecting the Spanish bottle to your barbi point, this of course means that the Spanish bottle will have to sit outside your van whilst in use.lots of Folk do this so no problem.

Billggski - 2019-07-31 9:07 PM

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-brexit

The 90 days in 180 looks likely if no deal, with other limitations.

Spain and Portugal have said they will not limit travel by UK citizens and will welcome them even if a no-deal Brexit. I don’t know about France but it seems unlikely that they will be able to get visa requirements in place for some time anyway. Interestingly the 2 major camping clubs in UK are still selling long- stay winter holidays to Spain and Portugal. Had we got a dog I would be more concerned and follow the government advice in good time.- ie about now for winter travel.

If you have your residency document, then this will be, by Spanish Royal decree, protected and you will be able, for a transition period covering this winter anyway, be able to enjoy your holiday. Among much on the subject online see :

https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en/brexit/howtoprepare/Paginas/190108residence.aspx

The Clubs have always made it clear that, if you intend to stay longer than 90 days in Spain then you should register with the authorities ( eg p 86: current C&CC Winter Sun brochure.). In practise few seem to do so but this year it would be wise I think. I understand that Portugal is doing the same.

Winter 2020/2021, who knows ? A £52 visa has been mentioned.

Billggski - 2019-08-01 9:15 AM

I can't find any reference to Spain and Portugal changing the eu's laws on non-eu citizens staying longer than 90 days without getting a visa.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements

This is the only definitive link I can find.

(And it says that previous visits before Brexit will count in the 180 days)

This is correct and what many lose sight of (admittedly some unwittingly but many knowingly) is the "90 day rule" has always been there, just in the past it's never been enforced. I suspect now it certainly will be (assuming UK leaves to go third country status) as everything to enable it's enforcement is already in place...eg; electronic data recording of exit and re-entry to UK with passports and vehicle reg numbers.

Any UK resident "absent for a period of three months or more, is subject to removal from their GP list and as a consequence, ceases to be eligible for NHS treatment." That's not me saying it.....that came via the DoH (the quote is verbatim from their correspondence) after i took the matter up four years ago with MP.

Some Brits attempt to circumvent this through a variety of duplicitous methods much to the anger of genuine Brit immigrants living lawfully in a foreign country who have forfeited their UK rights, NHS healthcare/free meds etc, as understandably they feel it tars them with a bad name.

TheFrenchConnection - 2019-08-02 6:27 PM

Bken1

Being French our Challenger has a fixed regulator so the adapter you showed is just what we need for our Spanish winter trip.

Where can I buy one please?

You should be able to get one form a Ferreteria or Repsol Shops that sell gas (not Petrol Stations ) in Spain ..I see you are in France so not sure there ..if you have the time Gas Low and the like sell them but you would have to courier it to France from UK.

jumpstart - 2019-08-01 3:22 PM

Foreners from out side the eu seam to get NHS care when they want to have babies over here.

Dem pesky foreners. Dey git everywear!!!! Sum of em even walk for the NHS!!!!

But I really can't see the relevance to this thread. If this is the editted version what was the original?

IMO not worth it .Done it three times .still dark and cold from 4pm- 9am, travel is less pleasant,still need heating on at home,plus worries on frozen pipes etc. all stopping places look like refugee camps,and the spanish are not interested in any problems such as being robbed.(too lazy) Leave it till May so to enjoy the French countryside before venturing into that third .world barren landscape

And you stil have to pay council tax,etc, SO, turn up your heating and wait for those blue frosty skies and enjoy the english countryside.And save yourself the hassle of fuel cost ,site fees,(if you can find one) insurance, and fear of a winter breakdown abroad. YOU WILL SAVE A FORTUNE! :-D

charleydog - 2019-08-06 5:04 PM

IMO not worth it .Done it three times .still dark and cold from 4pm- 9am, travel is less pleasant,still need heating on at home,plus worries on frozen pipes etc. all stopping places look like refugee camps,and the spanish are not interested in any problems such as being robbed.(too lazy) Leave it till May so to enjoy the French countryside before venturing into that third .world barren landscape

Good grief ! You have had bad luck. We’ve travelled to southern Spain for very many winters now for 3 months at a time. Even at the darkest time of year it is 6 pm before we draw the blinds, we love driving and cycling on well- paved, pothole free, empty roads with considerate drivers, we have never stayed in anywhere remotely resembling a refugee camp ( and I have worked in African refugee camps so have an idea of what they are like) and we have always, without exception, found that when a Spaniard gives you a time when they will attend, they do exactly that, to time. The only things we have had stolen, our bikes, were recovered by the Local police a few hours later and the last thing I would have said was that they were lazy: far from it !

As to heating at home, we leave ours on at 15 deg C, as required by our home insurance, and it costs us considerably less than it would if we were at home, keeping everything dry and free from frost damage. It’s wonderful to have endless days of bright sunshine, blue skies and mild temperatures when you can get out and be active rather than long, grey gloomy wet and cold days as in an English winter

As to “ 3rd world barren landscapes” ! Where have you been ?

The OP has not been back on here since his first post but, if he is still following the thread, then he might want to consider booking via one of the Clubs, on a winter rally. That way he will be able to meet many people, take part in a variety of activities and, if that was his worry, be sure he will not be lonely !

I would suggest trying this out for a month at the most initially before deciding whether to stay. I say that because we have friends who go down to Spain every year for 2 to 3 months and on the basis of their recommendation and accounts of the lifestyle we decided to call in and visit them during a 16 night tour. I have never been to Spain before so did not know what to expect. We planned to tour the north Med' coastal area and drive down to meet up with them in Benicassim for a few nights.

Northern Spain was lovely. Great sites at L'Estartit and L'Emetla, but some of the sites at Benicassim resembled refugee camps. Even the best site, the one our friends were on was cramped and lacking in any privacy whatsoever. It was a real eye opener and I am glad that we had not not booked for more than four nights. Even the dog went on hunger strike! (lol)

After leaving there we spent two nights on a free aire in the Ebro delta and recovered out sanity.

All the sites were full and as one van pulled off another took its place so they are popular. But it is not for us.

TheFrenchConnection - 2019-08-02 5:27 PM

Being French our Challenger has a fixed regulator so the adapter you showed is just what we need for our Spanish winter trip. Where can I buy one please?

Hi I had no trouble buying the connector you need from a Repsol depot just be sure you get a unregulated connector as the regulator looks very similar

But https://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/cyujrhdmmu67.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Products/01-1671 think I paid 1/2 of this price

Guest pelmetman
charleydog - 2019-08-06 5:50 PM

And you stil have to pay council tax,etc, SO, turn up your heating and wait for those blue frosty skies and enjoy the english countryside.And save yourself the hassle of fuel cost ,site fees,(if you can find one) insurance, and fear of a winter breakdown abroad. YOU WILL SAVE A FORTUNE! :-D

Providing you take the pledge ;-) ..........

A decent bottle of Spanish wine £1.80.......A decent bottle of UK wine £6.50 8-) ...........

I think you'll find decent bottles of wine cost about the same in each country.

Cheap mass produced vino fortified with sugar carries the same tax as proper wine, so at about £12 the difference is minimal.

(And when the pound is worth less than the euro, it won't be so cheap anyway)

flicka - 2019-08-06 9:48 PM

You also need to check your house/ home contents insurance will cover for the period you will be away. Many only cover for a much shorter period.

Exactly. I struggled to get 3 month and it wasn't cheap. Also they stipulate the property must be accessed at least once a week by a keyholder (neighbour or relative) though no idea how you prove that. Many people seem willing to run the risk of voiding their insurance.

Archived