Stay safe...

J9withdogs

A few good ideas in here -

This actually happened a few weeks ago on the M3 Fleet services . It was early evening and a young girl stopped to get petrol. She filled her tank and walked into the store to pay for her petrol.

The cashier told her 'Don't pay for your petrol yet.....walk around the store for a while and act as if you're picking up some other things to buy. A man just got into the back of your car. I've called the police and they're on their way'.

When the police arrived, they found the man in the back seat of the girl's car and asked him what he was doing. He replied, he was joining a gang and the initiation to join is to kidnap a woman and bring her back to the gang to be raped by every member of the gang. If the woman was still alive by the time they finish with her then they let her go.

According to the police that night, there is a new gang forming here originating from London. The scary part of this is because the guy

didn't have a weapon on him the police could only charge him with trespassing.... He's back on the street and free to try again. Please be aware of what's going on around you and for your family and friends.

LADIES you or one of your family and friends could be the next victim.

Please forward this on to everyone you know. Please do not discard this message it is very important that everyone knows what is happening.

Please be careful when leaving your vehicle and make sure it is ALWAYS locked to prevent this from happening to you.

SAFETY ADVICE

This first bit is mainly for women, but boys please read it and send it onto any women you care about. The second bit is a warning to all of us! Some sound advice for us all as we all sometimes forget to take our common sense with us when we go out. This is from Northants Police..

Things women should know to stay safe: Please take the time to read these pointers. There may just be one or two you hadn't thought of. After reading this, forward it to someone you care about. It never hurts to be careful in this crazy world we live in.

1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!

2. If a robber asks for your handbag, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you.... he is probably more interested in your handbag than you and he will go for the handbag. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!

3. If you are ever thrown into the boot of a car: Kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm through the hole and start waving. The driver won't see you but everybody else will. This has saved lives.

4.Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their cheque book, or making a list).DON'T DO THIS! A predator could be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, and attack you. AS

SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.

5. A few notes about getting into your car in a car park:

A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and check the back seat.

B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most attackers surprise their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.

C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the shop, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)

6. ALWAYS take the lift instead of the stairs. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot.

7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; and even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN!

8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP IT! It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good- looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked 'for help'

into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.

9. Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her 'Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.' The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, 'We already have a unit on the way, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.' He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear babies' cries outside their doors when

they're home alone at night. Please pass this on and DO NOT open the door for a crying baby.

I'd like you to forward this to all the women you know. It may save a life. A candle is not dimmed by lighting another candle. Send this to any woman you know that may need to be reminded that the world we live in has a lot of crazies in it and it's better safe than sorry

This is another total urban myth and has been going around on the web for years. I challenge anyone to show us the newspaper report of this incident that 'actually happened on the M3'.

Before forwarding on nonsense like this, which is designed to clog up the web by spreading totally untrue urban myths, just try typing a few relevant words into Google and you'll come up with the real story!

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/backseat.asp

GypsyTom - 2008-09-16 6:00 PM

This is another total urban myth and has been going around on the web for years. I challenge anyone to show us the newspaper report of this incident that 'actually happened on the M3'.

Before forwarding on nonsense like this, which is designed to clog up the web by spreading totally untrue urban myths, just try typing a few relevant words into Google and you'll come up with the real story!

You are entitled to your opinions, Gypsy Tom (lol)

It may be an urban myth, but Janine's tips our sensible. Having a daughter who was asaulted on her way to school many years ago, and having a hand in the arrest of the perpetrator, when his vehicle was searched by the Police found several offensive weapons, I can only say Ladies take care.

David

GypsyTom - 2008-09-16 6:00 PM

Whether it is true or not is not important.What is important is that people do not try and belittle the efforts of others to help anyone avoid an avoidable attack and I for one think that all Janine says in her posting (but nor all she says in real life!) is food for thought and sensible precautions that anyone can take - but only if they are aware of them.

As I read this thread and mentally composing a response - I find that Tracker and Peter have said it virtually word for word.

The fact that it may or may not be an urban myth is neither here nor there. If it makes vulnerable people (in this case single ladies travelling alone) more wary then that is surely a good thing.

No disrespect intended Gypsy Tom but did you here about the "myth" where it is said that it is not a good idea to leave your kids sleeping in a Portuguese apartment whilst you have a meal just a couple of 100 yards away?

Sometimes people need to be reminded that the world is not always a very nice place at all.

:-S

We'll agree to disagree about the main point of this thread, which was that there is a gang of London thugs which is deliberately targeting young women and then gang-raping them, possibly to death. This kind of nonsense, which can be checked in a couple of minutes by doing a quick search, is responsible for spreading totally unnecessary fear among the populace.

I've no doubt that most of you are happy to moan about how children for instance, don't have any freedom these days and how they are wrapped in cotton wool, whilst in our day we could play for hours in the fields etc.  But don't you see that children are in no more danger than they were fifty years ago? There's just a greater perceived danger, most of it hyped up by the kind of over-egged nonsense such as the first part of this post?

I've no objection to the poster's safety advice for women, most of it is simple common sense. What I do object to is spreading total untruths about non-existent threats and making us even more scared of venturing out of our front doors.

J9withdogs says that I'm welcome to my opinion. My comment on the veracity of her report is not an opinion, it's a fact, and I challenge her or anyone to prove me wrong.

Please, before forwarding on every Internet conspiracy theory that lands in your inbox, spend two minutes with Google!

CliveH - 2008-09-17 4:41 AM As I read this thread and mentally composing a response - I find that Tracker and Peter have said it virtually word for word. The fact that it may or may not be an urban myth is neither here nor there. If it makes vulnerable people (in this case single ladies travelling alone) more wary then that is surely a good thing. No disrespect intended Gypsy Tom but did you here about the "myth" where it is said that it is not a good idea to leave your kids sleeping in a Portuguese apartment whilst you have a meal just a couple of 100 yards away? Sometimes people need to be reminded that the world is not always a very nice place at all. :-S

Of all the responses to my post, this is the one that I find the most perplexing. Where has there ever been an urban myth about people snatching children from apartments? What on earth has the sad story of the McCanns got to do with my main thrust, which is that people should do the most basic of checks before they start forwarding every stupid wind-up story that arrives in their inbox.

Anyone who doesn't know that the world can be a dangerous place shouldn't be travelling and sleeping in a motorhome! Exercise common sense and try to keep yourself safe by all means but scaring to death half of the population by spreading horrific stories about events that have never happened does no good to anyone. Unless of course you're one of the nutcases currently working for the Health and Safety Executive and spending your working day stifling our way of life by imposing silly and totally over-the-top rules and regulations.

I know. Let's make it law that every filling station must employ someone whose job is to make sure that no one sneaks into the back of women's cars!

What I also find completely amazing is that any of you can think that a driver wouldn't spot someone crouching behing your seat! This in my opinion is always a sign of a crap movie director! Someone drives off and a head pops up from behind them! It's impossible in a modern car unless the perpetrator happens to be a dwarf!

Look Gypsy Tom - just calm down and do not take it personally.

I disagree with you. Sorry if you find this a problem but it is allowed.

I for one totally disagree with you about the McCanns - because if they were aware of any myth, rumour, fact or even down right lie about children being snatched from apartments - I am certain they would not have done what they did. I happen to believe the abdicated their responsibilities as parents that night. Some will no doubt disagree with my view – but as I say above – disagreement is allowed. But no one can deny that if there was a rumour myth whatever about child snatching in the Algarve then they would not have done what they did that awful night.

But this is how myths are born. Because there most certainly IS a “myth” based on the truth of the McCann case that your child might not be there if you leave it and go off for a meal. But I do not suppose that is easily born out by a google.

Poo pooing sensible advice because you feel the risk is negligible may be OK for you and your family and I have no issue with that - it is your choice.

But to my way of thinking these "Urban myths" play a role in making people more street "savvy" and that is no bad thing.

One of the more silly urban myths is the guy who gets drunk with a beautiful girl and wakes up a week later in an alley with one hell of a hangover, a huge scar but only one kidney.

Truth? - I very much doubt it. But if it stops my son or anyone else’s child from getting so drunk in a dangerous situation then that urban myth has done its job.

This is my opinion, there may be others who differ in their views, and I have no desire to enter into altercations with anyone over it.

Everyone, bar one person, has agreed that, whilst the original post may be an urban myth, it , along with every other one that has been around since gossip was invented, is born out of a desire to pass on information to the masses.

Maybe this particular one originated in the States, who knows, but more likely than not, it's origin would have been Mexico city, where this kind of method IS widely used for the purpose of car jacking, thankfully the number of rape incidents does not appear to be high. However, the fact remains that it happens, and everybody, worldwide should be aware that times are changing.

What it does is gives us a stark reminder that all of us, male or female is susseptable(?) to crime, we should all lock our cars when filling up with fuel anyway. Your insurance wouldn't pay out if your car were stolen, but human nature being as it is, tends to forget the simplicity of locking a car in the garage, but add this myth to the equation and it is much easier to remember.

I'm sorry G.Tom, but our kids were safer 20 - 30 - 40 years ago, and Clives reference to the McCanns seems to be a very relevant point, but dont get me started on them, I'm still waiting for an explanation from the police as to why they haven't been charged with neglect.

We live with myths in everyday life, we tell our kids about tooth fairies, father christmas, the bogeyman, and each and every one serves a purpose, as does Jannines original post, you dont have to take notice of it, you dont even have to agree with with it, but don't dismiss it as rubbish, because believe me, someone could very easily hide behind the seats in my landrover without being seen, and if it ever happens, I'm coming after you because you told me it couldn't happen. And anyway, some of the most deranged killers have been dwarfs, leprecauns and midgets.

'Myth' or not it never does any harm to remind one of possible dagers. I reckon any one could get behind the front seat of a car for the simplest of reasons, namely, we just do not look for them as we NEVER expect any one to be there, do we?

Donna, I cannot agree with you over the Tooth fairy and Father Christmas as my grandchildren assure me they are both real!!!

Donna has said it all really. I'm just amazed that people think life is as safe for our children now than back then.

Gypsy Tom, as Janine says 'you are entitled to your opinion' , but you are wrong when you say someone hiding in the back of a car would be spotted. When I was in my twenties, it happened to my friend. She had been to a party and left her car unlocked outside in the street (it was usually quite safe to do so in those days) and when she left alone in the early hours of the morning and was travelling along a dual carriageway she felt a hand on her shoulder..... I won't go into the full story but believe me .... checking the back of your car for someone crouching down has since remained one of my priorities when I have been out for the night. I have also been followed several times and ended up going around roundabouts two or three times to double check. The best way out of that one is to drive straight to the nearest police station (IF they are open in this day and age!) and pull up quickly outside and run it..... the squeal of tyres as the stalker pulls away is music to one's ears..

Last weekon the East Lancs Road in broad daylight when it was busy, my friend was first in the middle lane queue at traffic lights when two 'lads' opened her passenger doors and went to get in her car ... she pulled off with them hanging on for dear life, one ending up on the floor, and thankfully there were no other cars crossing the lights.

Urban myth.... I can assure you it is NOT.

Any reminder, if worth its weight in gold. Joy

Yes it's an urban myth, but I always lock vehicle when paying for petrol.

As for it being safer for children x years ago, I was reading report last year, there is pretty much the same number of offences against children now as there has always been, most sexual abuse of children is done by family members! as for murders, Brady and Hindley where commiting their crimes back in the good old days, and that was just the 'tip of the iceberg'.

I think that the media hype up a lot of the stories to sell papers, but they are also timely reminders sometimes that world isn't a safe place.

I was a young girl at the time of the Cannock Chase murders, and for years thought that it must be a horrible place. Quite the opposite in fact is true, and there's a lovely CC site there.

GypsyTom - 2008-09-17 10:30 AM

What I also find completely amazing is that any of you can think that a driver wouldn't spot someone crouching behing your seat! This in my opinion is always a sign of a crap movie director! Someone drives off and a head pops up from behind them! It's impossible in a modern car unless the perpetrator happens to be a dwarf!

I found this little snippet.As Tom insists, 2 minutes research with Google, before you post, works wonders........... :D Quote "Folklorists have traced the legend back to the 1960s and believe it may have been inspired by a vaguely similar real event in 1964 involving the discovery by a New York City policeman of an escaped murderer hiding in the backseat of his (the cop's) own car. "The Killer in the Backseat" was among the legendary horror stories dramatized in the 1998 film Urban Legend. Let us not assume, however, that real-life evildoers never lie in wait for their victims in the backseats of vehicles. As reported in the Decatur Daily News on September 14, 2007, a female college student in Alabama was threatened by a man with a gun who popped up suddenly in the backseat of her SUV. She escaped, fortunately, by slamming on the brakes and bolting from the car." Unquote Really Thomas, you ought to be more thorough, especially when you think we may be silly in believing something we read. *-)

donna miller - 2008-09-17 12:57 PM .  I'm sorry G.Tom, but our kids were safer 20 - 30 - 40 years ago... 

Yet another who quotes facts with absolutely no evidence to back them up! The real problem is that the regulars on this forum seemed to be gripped by the same hysteria that affects other sections of the population, such as the residents of a council estate who drove out a paediatrician because they didn't know the differerence between her and a paedophile!

Your attitude (most of you) seems to be that it's acceptable to promulgate the most blood curdling and ludicrous stories because it might remind someone what a dangerous world we live in!

The danger of this is shown in the story (a true and documented one this time!) of the little girl who wandered from her nursery and after walking along a main road drowned in a pond. She was seen by several people all of whom refused to stop and help her in case they were thought to be a paedophile.

This country is in the grip of a collective hysteria about certain types of crime and most of the members of this site seem to have fallen for it as well.

I say again, before quoting dubious facts about how children are less safer now than they where many years ago, try doing a little research - here's something to start with!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/article689316.ece

GypsyTom - 2008-09-17 3:35 PM

p>Your attitude (most of you) seems to be that it's acceptable to promulgate the most blood curdling and ludicrous stories because it might remind someone what a dangerous world we live in!

Errrr! - well yes it is!

But then I didn't let my kids play on the M25 either.

And I bought them mobile phones

And I made sure they were briefed on what can happen when worse for drink and you run out of cash and a ATM withdrawal seems like a really good idea.

I think the debate is polarising into those that think playing safe is sensible and those (I say "those" advisedly (lol) ) that seem to think all is wonderful out there and our concern is some kind of plot or mass hysteria.

Tom if you really think that then I very much hope you are right and nothing happens to you and yours.

But if you are really interested - visit an A&E department and have a chat with the staff.

I am not after "proving" anyone right or wrong - but I think you need a bit of an education because (and again no disrespect intended) but you come across as dangerously naive.

The advice in J9’s original post was good solid stuff. Why not just leave it at that – even if the “myth” is just that – a myth.

donna miller - 2008-09-17 3:35 PM
GypsyTom - 2008-09-17 10:30 AM

I found this little snippet. As Tom insists, 2 minutes research with Google, before you post, works wonders........... :D Quote "Folklorists have traced the legend back to the 1960s and believe it may have been inspired by a vaguely similar real event in 1964 involving the discovery by a New York City policeman of an escaped murderer hiding in the backseat of his (the cop's) own car. "The Killer in the Backseat" was among the legendary horror stories dramatized in the 1998 film Urban Legend. Let us not assume, however, that real-life evildoers never lie in wait for their victims in the backseats of vehicles. As reported in the Decatur Daily News on September 14, 2007, a female college student in Alabama was threatened by a man with a gun who popped up suddenly in the backseat of her SUV. She escaped, fortunately, by slamming on the brakes and bolting from the car." Unquote Really Thomas, you ought to be more thorough, especially when you think we may be silly in believing something we read. *-)

Well done, you've managed to find one example in the entire world of this happening! Don't forget to mention that the back seat slasher, who was somehow and incredibly missed by this women when she opened her door, was part of a vampire gang who sneaked in through the air vents after he'd turned to gas, only to solidify when he was in the car.

Thank you by the way for the info - the same article in which this so-called episode is mentioned also totally debunks the 'gang initiation' nonsense and the entire 'killer in the backseat' rubbish as the urban myth that it is.

I really feel sorry for you lot - you must spend your whole life looking over your shoulders. Don't waste your life like this, instead, try getting a life!

I'm off, you worry me about the state of our nation, what with the thousands of crazed killer dwarves out there, how can I possibly ever go out again at night!

Whoah, steady on soldier.

As a parent, I KNOW my kids were safer back then, I dont need to read some poncy Times article to get my facts. All that article does is point out that bad things have allways happened.

As kids, we used to be out all hours, would you let your children out on the streets of London now, the streets are overrun with wanna be gangsta's who think nothing of stabbing a 10 year old for their mobile or pushbike, or even a pair of trainers.

Yes violence happened 30 years ago, but not to the level seen on our streets now. How many 10 year olds had guns back in the 60s and 70s ? Now ask the same question of todays kid gangs.

If you are as street wise as you claim, you would realise that in years past, there were isolated cases of violence against children, nowadays its 10 fold, and your newspaper report doesn't take into account the fact that nowadays so many people have lost faith in the police system, that numerous assaults go unreported.

I have absolutely no idea of your social upbringing, or of the communities you circulate in,but judging by the content of your postings, it is a far cry from the harsh reality of modern day suburbia.

Let me take you up to my old home town, in the area I used to live in, 12 year olds were walking round with kevlar vests, and Glock 9mm pistols.

We used to have catapaults and tank tops when I was a kid.

Archived