Steamer Quay tradegy

Hopesy

We stayed at the CC site at Steamer Quay Totnes for a few days over the weekend. On Friday night we were woken by some noises outside then a rescue helicopter directly above us. This was about 4.45am and the commotion carried on for a good few hours. At first we were annoyed thinking it was some drunken louts causing problems for the emergency services, but we put on the local radio and discovered that 3 young men had their boat capsize in the river off Steamer Quay, 2 had made it to shore but a local man of 24 was drowned in the river. Puts things in perspective a bit.

Guest Tracker

When I was a boy scout we were taken, with our parents consent, to the local swimming pool where we were encouraged to jump in the deep end and swim to the shallow end fully clothed and with shoes on!

There were of course several trained lifeguards in attendance and several lads - including me - struggled to make it to the 'safety' of being able to stand up.

It was a valuable lesson well learned - as well as jolly good fun - but it did little to prepare me for falling into a very cold and choppy sea in January and with layers of thick clothes and wellies on!

Everyone who is serious about boating should do this as it does make you take the sea very seriously indeed.

Guest Tracker
howie - 2009-08-04 1:36 PM

'With our parents consent'! Hmm. Do hope there was no element of disappointment when you eventually arrived home safe and sound Richard. :->

Well, yes, actually there was Howie - and my Dad later told me that he seriously thought of suing the scout leader for incompetence because he was unable to drown me!

PS - I got my sense of humour from my Dad!

Guest peter

Certainly not. I love the caravan clubs and think Fiat are marvelous.

How could you even suggest such a thing Mel. :D

Archived