Steamy Windows

howie

Hello campers. One of the fixed double glazed windows on the back door of my van has misted up completley making rear vision almost impossible, which is a real pain when driving.

I can,t see any plugholes or a way of getting between the two plastic panels to try and dry out the moisture, and a few days of sunny weather as only made it worse. Apart from replacement, is there any other way of getting round this problem. Thank you.

Most of these double glazed windows have a very small ruber bung in one of the corners. If you locate this and prise it out carefully you can leave it open for as long as you wish when the sun is on it to dry it out and then put the bung back in.

Phil.

Howie ... how are ya chuck! Missed you lots!!!! :-D

As for your windows, if you really don't have a 'plug' to remove, you could try drilling a small hole in the inner side of the window (put masking tape on the 'glass' to prevent the drill scuttling across the window!), letting the mist dry out then finding a bung to put in the hole.

Hi and thank you for your replies. I,ll remove the cassette blind tomorrow just to check there isn,t a plug of some sort hidden away, but failing that i,ll have to drill a small hole as suggested and see if it dries out on its own.

Using a hair dryer to speed up the process may help, but looking ahead I should imagine that once moisture has found its way in then the problem will eventually return, but i,ll deal with that if and when it happens.

............. Thank you for the warm welcome and sentiments Mel, really cheered me up. None of my business I know, but I see in the papers that Eddie Murphy has finally admitted to being the father and hopefully you can now put this whole sorry episode behind you and get on with your life.

Right. I,ve checked both rear windows (Sietz) and no plugs anywhere. I,m still reluctant to drill a hole in the acrylic pane, but unless someone has a better idea then let me know otherwise i,ll have no option and do it tomorrow.

Mel B - 2007-08-06 9:12 PM

Howie, what's this about Eddie Murphy? You been watching too much of the celebrity gossip programmes then? Haven't got a clue what you're on about chuck. :-S

I think he's on about Mel B aka Scary Spice having had Eddie Murphy's love-child. (lol)

Mel B - 2007-08-06 9:39 PM What! I suppose that's one way to spice up your life ......

Mel B

The scary thing is that Eddie Murphy has admitted it, so you're in for a fortune my girl!!! CLAIM, CLAIM, CLAIM, it's rightfully yours!!

I'm off to watch "Shrek" again, the voice of donkey will be heard all over East Yorkshire from now on

Thai

Thank you Bernie. I drilled a small hole on the inside pane this morning and waiting to see if there,s any improvement. Not sure of the vacuum bit though, so get your thinking cap on and see how I can recreate a vacuum if needed.

howie - 2007-08-07 7:20 PM

Thank you Bernie. I drilled a small hole on the inside pane this morning and waiting to see if there,s any improvement. Not sure of the vacuum bit though, so get your thinking cap on and see how I can recreate a vacuum if needed.

You got a good suck, Howie?? :D

As far as I am aware there is no similarity between the DG units we use in our homes and the ones used on Motorhomes or Caravans.

The sealed units used in houses are glass, the non-sealed units I have in the caravan are acrylic and as stated in the above posts (usually!) have a couple of bungs in them so that you can remove the bungs to allow the unit to dry out.

What about a call to the manufacturer, Howie?

In our old previous we managed to get a small spider in the cavity when we left the bungs out on a hot day - he lived there for some time but we could not entice him out and he died.

His body travels the UK with the caravan’s new owners who may or may not know he is there.

:'(

Morning Clive. I think you are right about the vacuum. Given the frail nature of the acrylic panels I would imagine they would collapse in on each other without air pressure between them. Slight improvement this morning, but still not right. The problem is that I rely on these windows a lot for rear vision, especially with motorway driving where the plastic lens fitted covers a large blind spot. If it does,nt come right then then i,ll simply replace it. The workshop I go to for habitation checks do all this kind of work, and as its a standard Fiat fit there should,nt be a problem getting a replacement

Its been out in the sun all day Phil and only a inch or two at the bottom is still affected. Might get away with and just put a strip of sellotape over the hole to keep it airtight, which means I can easily repeat the procedure if it happens again.

Archived