Stolen number plates

nightrider

My son-in-law is a Methodist minister and last night he had been to a church meeting, on his way home he called to our house for a brew, when he was going I noticed that his rear number plate was missing which I brought to his attention thinking perhaps it had fell off.

We then discovered that his front number plate was also missing? with alarm bells ringing I told him to ring the police and report it, no doubt someone has stolen them to use in a robbery or to go into a petrol station, fill up and do a runner, he phoned the cops and they gave hime a crime number, will wait and see what happens now?

I understand this is becoming a problem now that the regulations regarding the making up of plates have been tightened. We lost one screw from front and rear whilst in Battle and when we called at the garage for replacements they were well aware of the problem and this was 2 years ago.

Thanks for the warning....... it's not something that you think of going missing, but when brought to your attention - so obvious.

Not only is it an inconvenience and expense to your son in law as he has to replace the plates out of his own pocket, but also as you say waiting to hear what the plates were knicked for.

knight of the road - 2008-12-20 1:53 AM

My son-in-law is a Methodist minister and last night he had been to a church meeting, on his way home he called to our house for a brew, when he was going I noticed that his rear number plate was missing which I brought to his attention thinking perhaps it had fell off.

We then discovered that his front number plate was also missing? with alarm bells ringing I told him to ring the police and report it, no doubt someone has stolen them to use in a robbery or to go into a petrol station, fill up and do a runner, he phoned the cops and they gave hime a crime number, will wait and see what happens now?

Your posted the following a few days ago:

I hope you win this one - I think it stinks somewhat and is a good example of why the police are losing the support of many honest citizens.

My way of thinking is that the police force are now a tool of this hateful government, at one time I would have gone to the aid of a copper in distress, not anymore, not after some of the things I have seen.

-----

Malcolm X

Doesn't seem to 'gel' with your original thinking.

Randonneur - 2008-12-20 10:37 AM

I hope you win this one - I think it stinks somewhat and is a good example of why the police are losing the support of many honest citizens.

My way of thinking is that the police force are now a tool of this hateful government, at one time I would have gone to the aid of a copper in distress, not anymore, not after some of the things I have seen.

-----

Malcolm X

Randonneur,

Not quite sure what you mean by "doesn't seem to 'gel' with your original thinking" the theft of the number plates had to be reported in the event a crime were to take place.

If a cop got battered to the floor carrying out the job he is paid to do, he has the full might of the law to back him up and compensate him in the event of serious injury, I as a private citizen who may get hurt trying to assist a cop in distress has not got much chance in the courts.

I lost all respect for the police after seeing them batter striking miners fighting for their jobs in the Thatcher era, at the time I had a mate who was a police sergeant, I mentioned to him what I thought amounted to police brutality and he said we had to follow orders??? follow orders!!!!!! where have I heard that before? from German war criminals whose line of defense was, we were only following orders.

A cop injured in the line of duty has a pension and compensation to look forward to, a private individual reduced to a brain damaged vegetable gets a pat on the back and a paltry government compensation, I wouldn't trust a cop as far as I could throw him.

Perhaps a silly thought regarding Number Plates - at the moment they have to have where the plates were made up to stop unauthorised people making fake plates. Why not have the type of vehicle (eg: Red Ford Fiesta, or Fiat/Rapido Motorhome) printed on them too so that at a glance you could see if they didn't match up? What do people think?

Guest Tracker

The number plates on all my vehicles are firmly affixed by the use of pop rivets in addition to the dealer fitted screws or worse just sticky pads.

I don't know if number plates thieves carry a drill with them but that is what they will need to get 'em off!

Tracker - 2008-12-20 1:21 PM

The number plates on all my vehicles are firmly affixed by the use of pop rivets in addition to the dealer fitted screws or worse just sticky pads.

I don't know if number plates thieves carry a drill with them but that is what they will need to get 'em off!

I have been aware of this number plate business for quite a while, my number plates are fitted using clutch headed screws and nylock anti-vibration locking nuts, impossible for even the most determined thieves to undo.

One thing that I am not happy about is the door to my Compass Calypso coach built, it can easily be forced using a screw driver, my cousin has some kind of arm that closes on the door and is locked in position, cost him about £80 to have it fitted.

knight of the road - 2008-12-20 12:53 AM My son-in-law is a Methodist minister and last night he had been to a church meeting, on his way home he called to our house for a brew, when he was going I noticed that his rear number plate was missing which I brought to his attention thinking perhaps it had fell off. We then discovered that his front number plate was also missing? with alarm bells ringing I told him to ring the police and report it, no doubt someone has stolen them to use in a robbery or to go into a petrol station, fill up and do a runner, he phoned the cops and they gave him a crime number, will wait and see what happens now?

I'd suggest he also contacts DVLA for their advice, and notifies his insurance company.  His reg No will still come up on either database showing any vehicle carrying that number as being taxed and insured, which would be sufficient for most enquiries.  The smart trick would be swift issue of a new reg No, and cancellation of the old one, but I don't think that is feasible.

Brian Kirby - 2008-12-20 2:21 PM
knight of the road - 2008-12-20 12:53 AM My son-in-law is a Methodist minister and last night he had been to a church meeting, on his way home he called to our house for a brew, when he was going I noticed that his rear number plate was missing which I brought to his attention thinking perhaps it had fell off. We then discovered that his front number plate was also missing? with alarm bells ringing I told him to ring the police and report it, no doubt someone has stolen them to use in a robbery or to go into a petrol station, fill up and do a runner, he phoned the cops and they gave him a crime number, will wait and see what happens now?

I'd suggest he also contacts DVLA for their advice, and notifies his insurance company.  His reg No will still come up on either database showing any vehicle carrying that number as being taxed and insured, which would be sufficient for most enquiries.  The smart trick would be swift issue of a new reg No, and cancellation of the old one, but I don't think that is feasible.

Brian,Good advice that, will phone my son-in-law and tell him, my son-in-law being a Minister is under the impression that everyone is nice and angelic he has never met up with a villain.

knight of the road - 2008-12-20 2:07 PM

-----

Malcolm X

Randonneur,

Not quite sure what you mean by "doesn't seem to 'gel' with your original thinking" the theft of the number plates had to be reported in the event a crime were to take place.

If a cop got battered to the floor carrying out the job he is paid to do, he has the full might of the law to back him up and compensate him in the event of serious injury, I as a private citizen who may get hurt trying to assist a cop in distress has not got much chance in the courts.

I lost all respect for the police after seeing them batter striking miners fighting for their jobs in the Thatcher era, at the time I had a mate who was a police sergeant, I mentioned to him what I thought amounted to police brutality and he said we had to follow orders??? follow orders!!!!!! where have I heard that before? from German war criminals whose line of defense was, we were only following orders.

A cop injured in the line of duty has a pension and compensation to look forward to, a private individual reduced to a brain damaged vegetable gets a pat on the back and a paltry government compensation, I wouldn't trust a cop as far as I could throw him.

I am so glad that the majority of the fine British public do NOT have the same view as you or else we would be in a very sorry state of affairs.

Randonneur - 2008-12-20 3:17 PM

knight of the road - 2008-12-20 2:07 PM

-----

Malcolm X

Randonneur,

I am so glad that the majority of the fine British public do NOT have the same view as you or else we would be in a very sorry state of affairs.

Randonneur,

I speak as I find, I, you and everyone else have their personal views and are entitled to voice them, if you dont like my views then it is a case of San fairy Ann, you know what to do.

And my personal views do not as far as I am aware exclude me from being a member of this "fine British public"

Read Stefan Kisko, Colin Stag, Timothy Evans etc etc.

You can buy tamper proof number plates that shatter when you try to remove them, but then you probably don't want to follow my advice because I'm trying to fit you up with some sort of covert device hidden in the number plates that only cops can follow to entrap you and fit you up for all sorts of heinious dispicable unsolved crimes. ;-)

Some of us are still proud of what we do

C.O.P.S

I've got your name and i know where you live................ :D

Hopesy - 2008-12-20 6:36 PM

You can buy tamper proof number plates that shatter when you try to remove them, but then you probably don't want to follow my advice because I'm trying to fit you up with some sort of covert device hidden in the number plates that only cops can follow to entrap you and fit you up for all sorts of heinious dispicable unsolved crimes. ;-)

Some of us are still proud of what we do

C.O.P.S

I've got your name and i know where you live................ :D

Hopesy,

To quote one of my all time favourite movie stars 'James Cagney'

You'll never take me alive, you dirty rat. ha ha.

Rapido-lass has an excellent idea, similar to Private Hire taxi cabs plates which carry the description of the vehicle.

On the face of it easy to impliment at virtually zero cost for new plates, although the script would have to be quite small to fit the available space.

My mothers number plates got stolen from her vehicle about 3 years ago, it was parked up in a garage carpark for repair. The only one that ever got pulled about them to my knowledge was my mother one sunday afternoon. The cops insisted on checking the vehicle chasis number etc even though my mother told them she had reported it and she now had replacement plates and she even gave them the crime number. By the way she was 70 at the time. Needless to say the car got changed.

To make matters worse for my son-in-law my wife told me this morning that yesterday my son-in-law got a parking ticket on the Argos carpark in Bury. There are three carparks there, one is a council carpark and the other two are Argos and another store, each have their own parking attendants, my son-in-law had actually bought a ticket from a machine unfortunately it was a council machine and not for the spot where he had parked, he tried to argue it out but stood no chance, being a Methodist minister does not pay big money so I will slip a £50 note in a Christmas card for him to pay the parking fine and the new number plates.

Archived