Sunaks gift to second home owners

John52

John52 - 2022-05-26 5:21 PM

So we tax the energy companies (which they put their prices up to pay for) ramp up borrowing, and give a lump sum to each household. The more homes you have, the more you get.

How many homes has Sunak got?

As the Tories have done another complete U- turn, and will levy a windfall tax, which the Labour and Lib Dems have been telling them to do for some months : you should be pleased.

;-)

malc d - 2022-05-26 5:34 PM

So we tax the energy companies (which they put their prices up to pay for) ramp up borrowing, and give a lump sum to each household. The more homes you have, the more you get.

As the Tories have done another complete U- turn, and will levy a windfall tax, which the Labour and Lib Dems have been telling them to do for some months : you should be pleased.

;-)

Sunaks energy bill is set to cost £13000 a year......and thats JUST for his swimming pool.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/20089866.rishi-sunak-reported-spend-13-000-heating-north-yorkshire-pool/

windfall tax

“temporary targeted energy profits levy” *-)

On those listed in the UK who make most of their profits abroad.

Foreign listed energy companies unscathed

Like the £billionaire 'newspaper' owners supporting Johnson domiciled in HM tax havens,

now out of reach of an EU wide tax treaty thanks to Brexit.

Two thirds of it is unfunded (borrowed) 8-)

When you have to borrow to pay for everyday spending you are in trouble :-(

Bulletguy - 2022-05-26 9:56 PM

;-)

Sunaks energy bill is set to cost £13000 a year......and thats JUST for his swimming pool.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/20089866.rishi-sunak-reported-spend-13-000-heating-north-yorkshire-pool/

I expect that applies to a lot of rich people.

Not sure what it has to do with helping the less well off by imposing a windfall tax - which is just a tax on excessive unearned income on power companies.

:-|

malc d - 2022-05-27 9:58 AM

;-)

Not sure what it has to do with helping the less well off by imposing a windfall tax - which is just a tax on excessive unearned income on power companies.

Balance and perspective Malc......all about 'levelling up' innit? (lol)

Sunaks fix is mere sticking plaster though. :-(

A lady phone caller on todays Vine show highlighted a problem......she lives in rental and her energy bills are in the name of her landlord.

Bulletguy - 2022-05-27 2:30 PM

malc d - 2022-05-27 9:58 AM

;-)

Balance and perspective Malc......all about 'levelling up' innit? (lol)

Sunaks fix is mere sticking plaster though. :-(

Quite so.

And it would have been if Keir Starmer was handing it out. I think that John52 doesn't like it because it's coming from " a rich bloke " - and he doesn't like rich blokes.

No doubt it will be open to extensive fraud - like the furlough payments - but that reflects the standards of the electorate - not the government.

Seems to me , a windfall tax is where we get some of our own money back.

;-)

Bulletguy - 2022-05-27 2:30 PM

lives in rental and her energy bills are in the name of her landlord.

So they fall out over who gets the rebate

Everything this Government does causes conflict >:-)

Same Old Tory Divide & Rule >:-)

malc d - 2022-05-27 3:07 PM

And it would have been if Keir Starmer was handing it out. I think that John52 doesn't like it because it's coming from " a rich bloke " - and he doesn't like rich blokes.

No doubt it will be open to extensive fraud - like the furlough payments - but that reflects the standards of the electorate - not the government.

;-)

Well for a start Labour wouldn't have given away our power supplies to foreign companies who hire Tory MPs.

So we would still have our own supplies - Like EDF who increased prices 3% in France and 53% in England.

Neither would Labour have had Thatcher's 'foresight' (as Johnson put it) to close all our coal mines and buy coal from Putin instead.

Neither would Labour have given the least to the poorest (living in HMOs where the Landlord pays the energy bill), and the most to multiple home owners who get it for all their households......

As tax paying pensioners helping to subsidise the great unwashed it's not often the government gives me anything - so thank you Uncle Rishi, much appreciated, although not really needed.

Made us smile though and that is priceless in this greedy blame someone else culture we call home.

John52 - 2022-05-27 5:32 PM

;-)

Well for a start Labour wouldn't have given away our power supplies to foreign companies who hire Tory MPs.

So we would still have our own supplies - Like EDF who increased prices 3% in France and 53% in England.

Neither would Labour have had Thatcher's 'foresight' (as Johnson put it) to close all our coal mines and buy coal from Putin instead.

Neither would Labour have given the least to the poorest (living in HMOs where the Landlord pays the energy bill), and the most to multiple home owners who get it for all their households......

Labours biggest mistake was giving Boris Johnson such a huge majority.

:-(

Labours biggest mistake was giving Boris Johnson such a huge majority.

:-(

Good Job they did Boris dragged our ass out of Europe steered us thru Covid and is now sorting out our Finances he really deserves our Praise!

So what if He attended a few parties during lock down That's nothing more than the Hoot Toots have been during for centuries. Where I worked the Boss's where never to be found after midday on a Friday where all we Hab Dabs had to stay till 4pm

Tracker - 2022-05-27 8:03 PM

As tax paying pensioners helping to subsidise ...

Well I did not ask for your money

I don't want your money

Johnson just sends it to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to bribe the pissheads not to vote for independence. So Johnson can continue to strut his stuff on the world stage as leader of a G7 nation instead of just little old England. Maintaining his empire at your expense.

Personally I would rather he did not send us your money so we would vote for independence and get rid of him.

But at least we are getting paid by you to have Johnson

Have you realised who the Loser is yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Sunni Sunaks Sunlit uplands and the latest Brexit "bonus". *-)

Sunak urged to cut taxes or raise spending by OECD as UK poised for weakest growth in developed world

The club of developed nations predicted that Britain's economy will stagnate, with no gross domestic product expansion at all over 2023 - a worse outcome than for any other OECD member.

The UK is poised for the weakest economic growth in the developed world next year, according to new forecasts from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

In its latest comprehensive forecasts for the world economy, the OECD - a club of developed nations - predicted that Britain's economy will stagnate, with no gross domestic product expansion at all over 2023 - a worse outcome than for any other OECD member.

https://news.sky.com/story/cut-taxes-raise-spending-or-face-economic-stagnation-oecd-warns-sunak-12629867

Bulletguy - 2022-06-08 5:06 PM

Sunak urged to cut taxes or raise spending by OECD

But where does he get the money from?

We are already paying £80 billion a year interest on what we have borrowed 8-)

Interest rates are set to rise 8-)

And Sunak is borrowing more, not to invest, but just to cover day to day consumption. 8-)

But I'm sure Johnson would borrow more because he isn't thinking of the long term, and won't care what state he leaves the economy in

He won't go where the big money is and tax the big landowners and non dom £billionaires in HM tax havens or their 'newspapers' will stop supporting him.

John52 - 2022-06-08 7:36 PM

Bulletguy - 2022-06-08 5:06 PM

Sunak urged to cut taxes or raise spending by OECD

But where does he get the money from?

We are already paying £80 billion a year interest on what we have borrowed 8-)

Interest rates are set to rise 8-)

And Sunak is borrowing more, not to invest, but just to cover day to day consumption. 8-)

But I'm sure Johnson would borrow more because he isn't thinking of the long term, and won't care what state he leaves the economy in

He won't go where the big money is and tax the big landowners and non dom £billionaires in HM tax havens or their 'newspapers' will stop supporting him.

Sunlit uplands and all that John! I seem to remember them cooing our economy was well ahead, particularly the EU! ;-)

Seems Sunaks fuel subsidy is as badly targeted as his gift to second home owners.

The poorest people in HMOs or on pre payment meters haven't got it :-(

The FT has been talking to a disabled woman who stays at home because she can't afford to charge the battery on her wheelchair;

As Britain’s household energy bills continue to soar, mother-of-three Leah Shields faces an excruciating choice. She has to decide whether she can afford to go outside.

“I’m disabled and I use a power chair when I go out of the house,” said the 38-year-old former hairdresser, who no longer works due to multiple health conditions, including osteoporosis.

“Some days I’m having to sit and think: well, we need the electricity because we have two small children. When it comes to powering my power chair, I have to decide if it’s worth charging it, or do I save the electricity for my kids so it doesn’t go off.”

Leah’s is one of 4.5mn households in the UK with a prepayment meter, meaning she has to pay in advance for any energy she consumes, as well as paying a higher unit price. If she can’t afford to top up, it literally means lights out. Plus, in her case, being confined to the house.

The cost of electricity and gas will jump again in October with the next energy price cap increase coinciding with peak winter usage, meaning it will cost the average prepayment customer more than £350 a month to heat and power their homes.

Energy bosses have predicted that by this autumn, as many as four in 10 households could be in fuel poverty, spending more than 10 per cent of their disposable income on energy bills.

Leah and her family, who live in Darlington, in the north east of England, use Bread and Butter Thing, a local food charity, to top up their store cupboards. But when it comes to energy, they have to choose. Leah has had no gas, which runs her heating, for three weeks, prioritising electricity instead.

She had, until recently, been putting £20 on to the meter every Monday. “Now it’s at least £40 a week and we top it up on Monday and Thursday or Friday. We did try to pay quarterly and it was just a no go. The bills would come in and we’d have difficulty paying it back off.”

For those on low incomes, soaring energy bills either mean extreme energy rationing or living for extended periods of time without gas or electricity.

Before the energy crisis, Citizens Advice estimated 400,000 people in the UK were regularly “self disconnecting” — the industry term for living without energy — a figure it accepted would be significantly higher today.

During the past year, the charity’s helpline has recorded a 684 per cent increase in calls from people who cannot afford to top up their prepayment meters. Currently it is taking 45 such calls a day.

Fay Atkinson, 46, is one of those getting help from the CAB. Living in draughty social housing in the town of Clayton-le-Moors, in the north west of England, she confines herself to one room as far as she can and tries to stop up the gaps under the doors with tea towels.

“I’m living hand to mouth,” she said. “£5 on the meter would last me two and a half days, now it’s lasting me a day. I live in one room and only turn the lights on if I’ve got to go to the bathroom or if I have to go downstairs — the only light I’m getting otherwise is off the TV. If it weren’t for food banks I’d be starving.”

Like Leah, Fay’s health — she had three heart attacks in her late 30s — means she struggles to work. When she does, she earns minimum wage. “So even if I were working I’d still be scraping the bottom of the barrel.”

She said she was “on the brink” of becoming homeless because she can’t afford to pay her rent, adding wryly: “Although I guess gas and electricity wouldn’t be a problem any more.” 

Of the thousands of people like Fay who approach the CAB for help each year, only 9 per cent said they would contact their supplier if they ran out of credit.

“It’s a very private thing to admit you’re struggling and need help,” said Matthew Cole, head of the Fuel Bank Foundation, a charity providing emergency credit and support for people who run out of power. “We’re like a food bank, but for energy.”

Matthew Cole: ‘Nearly two-thirds of the people we’re helping are in work’

Fuel Bank is on course to help a record 210,000 people this financial year; the limit of the charity’s current funding levels. Yet Cole estimated that for every person accessing help in the form of top-up vouchers, four more are in need of it.

“Nearly two-thirds of the people we’re helping are in work,” he said, adding that pensioners make up a large part of the third not working. “In a good month they’ll get to the 25th before they run out, in a bad month it will be the 18th. What scares me is that it’s normalising being in poverty.”

Operating from 500 centres across the UK, Fuel Bank referrals come via the charity’s 175 partners, which include debt charities, local councils and food banks, where anyone asking for a “cold pack” — food that does not need to be cooked — is the trigger. Cole is aware of one food bank in Birkenhead where this applied to 90 per cent of users.

Many low-income households have been switched on to prepayment meters by their supplier as a debt management tool, so self-disconnection “becomes the customer’s problem, not the energy company’s problem”, said Andy Shaw, a debt advice policy officer with StepChange.

Encountering families living without power is not uncommon in debt advice, but he added: “It’s having these conversations in the summer that’s really unusual.”

Charities said the families they are helping are among the least likely to have received the £150 council tax rebate that the government had promised earlier this year would arrive in April, as so few of them pay via direct debit. Instead, they must wait until their local council designs a way for them to apply for the cash, which could mean waiting till September.

Cole welcomed the government’s £15bn aid package announced last month but feared it would will not be enough for the poorest. “People will die of the cold this winter” was his stark assessment.

“Most kids are praying for a white Christmas because they want to play in the snow. You won’t get that with a family in fuel poverty — they’ll be praying for a mild winter.”

John52 - 2022-06-11 6:19 AM

Seems Sunaks fuel subsidy is as badly targeted as his gift to second home owners.

The poorest people in HMOs or on pre payment meters haven't got it :-(

The FT has been talking to a disabled woman who stays at home because she can't afford to charge the battery on her wheelchair;

Thats a soul destroying read and those supporting this government should hang their head in shame. They won't of course because their attitude is F you.....i'm alright.

I don't know what the battery charge rate is like on wheelchairs but I'd have thought to ensure the batteries remain in good condition she will need to keep it on charge. Unfortunately energy via pre-payment meters is charged at a higher rate and it's about time that evil practice was immediately stopped.

Friday was listening to the story of a woman cashing the cheque at a pawn broker as she was desperate to get some money to put in the leccy meter, had to make two trips as she hadn't got right ID.

The first thing she switched on after getting power back? Well the TV of cause to provide "background noise for the cats"!

Archived