Sunderland

antony1969

Seems Brexit Barry is confused ... Despite telling us constantly how folk didn't know what they were voting for it now seems the good people of Sunderland who voted by 60% to leave now they are better informed would according to the latest Sunderland Echo poll vote by 70% to leave with no deal ... Oooops

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
antony1969 - 2019-01-15 9:37 AM

Seems Brexit Barry is confused ... Despite telling us constantly how folk didn't know what they were voting for it now seems the good people of Sunderland who voted by 60% to leave now they are better informed would according to the latest Sunderland Echo poll vote by 70% to leave with no deal ... Oooops

If thats true and I have my doubts then they really (still) dont know what they are voting for. A town that relies on manufacturing, Nissan and is not exactly the wealthiest North east city that will be the hardest hit in the country in a no deal Brexit and 70% want no deal!! If it really is a true reflection of Sunderland when as you say we supposedly are now better informed then they really are as thick as mince.

antony1969 - 2019-01-15 12:01 PM

What exactly are you doubting ??? Is it the Sunderland Echo ??? ... Maybe the "thick as mince" Sunderland lot don't fall for the misery forecasts you do

Well I seem to remember posting something from the Sunderland Echo and another Poll on Sunderland not long ago that reported a shift to remain so one of them is complete bollox.

It might be right Antony who knows? I watched a BBC clip just now in the gym where they talked to people in Great Yarmouth about Brexit and how they feel now two and a half years later and most of them were adamant as ever but just didnt have a fecking clue about any of it. It was like we had gone back in a time machine to June 2016 or a bit like being at the Panto where your shouting out that the villain is behind you but the dim idiot on stage cannot see him.

I honestly think these people have no more idea about what Brexit means now than they did back in 2016. A second referendum and a new campaign though would perhaps focus their minds a bit and perhaps bring them up to speed. Places like Sunderland and Great Yarmouth will just sink under a no deal Brexit or probably any kind of Brexit.

If all that sounds a bit condescending then I wont be apologising. I said over two years ago I felt sorry for people in those towns and cities that voted to make themselves poorer after being fed a raft of lies and promises of Unicorns. If they havent bothered to get up to speed and realise what they are about do to themselves and their towns by supporting a no deal Brexit then thats their lookout.

The great problem with which, Veronica, is that if you saw "Brexit - the uncivil war" (of course to be taken with a pinch of salt - but nevertheless with many instances that chimed with memory) it is not talking sense that counts in this matter, but stirring emotion - irrespective of whether that stirring is based on fact, error, lies or sheer fantasy.

It seems it matters little whether the initial claim is subsequently contested, it is the first statement that people remember - later corrections just go into the mental bin. On which sad basis, electioneering (referendumeering?) is just a cynic's charter.

Barryd999 - 2019-01-15 1:37 PM

What exactly are you doubting ??? Is it the Sunderland Echo ??? ... Maybe the "thick as mince" Sunderland lot don't fall for the misery forecasts you do

Well I seem to remember posting something from the Sunderland Echo and another Poll on Sunderland not long ago that reported a shift to remain so one of them is complete bollox.

It might be right Antony who knows? I watched a BBC clip just now in the gym where they talked to people in Great Yarmouth about Brexit and how they feel now two and a half years later and most of them were adamant as ever but just didnt have a fecking clue about any of it. It was like we had gone back in a time machine to June 2016 or a bit like being at the Panto where your shouting out that the villain is behind you but the dim idiot on stage cannot see him.

I honestly think these people have no more idea about what Brexit means now than they did back in 2016. A second referendum and a new campaign though would perhaps focus their minds a bit and perhaps bring them up to speed. Places like Sunderland and Great Yarmouth will just sink under a no deal Brexit or probably any kind of Brexit.

If all that sounds a bit condescending then I wont be apologising. I said over two years ago I felt sorry for people in those towns and cities that voted to make themselves poorer after being fed a raft of lies and promises of Unicorns. If they havent bothered to get up to speed and realise what they are about do to themselves and their towns by supporting a no deal Brexit then thats their lookout.

Very condescending yes ... You base your Sunderland will be poorer theory on you being correct on all things Brexit but with respect you've not got a great track record for that on here regarding Brexit

Brian Kirby - 2019-01-15 4:00 PM

The great problem with which, Veronica, is that if you saw "Brexit - the uncivil war" (of course to be taken with a pinch of salt - but nevertheless with many instances that chimed with memory) it is not talking sense that counts in this matter, but stirring emotion - irrespective of whether that stirring is based on fact, error, lies or sheer fantasy.

It seems it matters little whether the initial claim is subsequently contested, it is the first statement that people remember - later corrections just go into the mental bin. On which sad basis, electioneering (referendumeering?) is just a cynic's charter.

I haven't seen "Brexit- the uncivil war" it so I must get it on "catch up". Don't you think that for the majority it is a feeling in one's gut because the ramifications and the complexity of it all are beyond most of us? I see a decision to support or reject Brexit as a leap of faith. There are too many variables for me so it comes down to how I feel about it. I suspect that it is the same for my friends and family who are a mixture of for and against.

antony1969 - 2019-01-15 4:10 PM

Very condescending yes ... You base your Sunderland will be poorer theory on you being correct on all things Brexit but with respect you've not got a great track record for that on here regarding Brexit

Examples please.

Totally agree and the drama highlighted that well. Its for this reason I have started to wonder if we would win a second vote because its all way too emotional. People will just believe what they want to believe now even if the facts are staring them right in the face and whoever comes out with the most spectacular lies and guff that supports their stance such as Free Unicorns for all if we Brexit will win the day.

In theory it should be like shooting fish in a barrel now challenging the Brexit lies in a second campaign as they have all been debunked but even when the lies have been proved to be lies people still want to believe the lies because their emotions have taken over.

The country (well half of it) have entered some kind of Alice in Wonderland adventure or are all on drugs I dunno which.

Maybe the only route to prove what a disaster it really all will be is just to pull the plug and walk away and let Brexit unfold and burn the country to the ground.

Barryd999 - 2019-01-15 4:49 PM

Totally agree and the drama highlighted that well. Its for this reason I have started to wonder if we would win a second vote because its all way too emotional. People will just believe what they want to believe now even if the facts are staring them right in the face and whoever comes out with the most spectacular lies and guff that supports their stance such as Free Unicorns for all if we Brexit will win the day.

In theory it should be like shooting fish in a barrel now challenging the Brexit lies in a second campaign as they have all been debunked but even when the lies have been proved to be lies people still want to believe the lies because their emotions have taken over.

The country (well half of it) have entered some kind of Alice in Wonderland adventure or are all on drugs I dunno which.

Maybe the only route to prove what a disaster it really all will be is just to pull the plug and walk away and let Brexit unfold and burn the country to the ground.

Spoken from the heart and the head Barry.

Violet1956 - 2019-01-15 4:29 PM

I haven't seen "Brexit- the uncivil war" it so I must get it on "catch up". Don't you think that for the majority it is a feeling in one's gut because the ramifications and the complexity of it all are beyond most of us? I see a decision to support or reject Brexit as a leap of faith. There are too many variables for me so it comes down to how I feel about it. I suspect that it is the same for my friends and family who are a mixture of for and against.

I imagine politics will now be strictly off limits at any family/friends gatherings due to this. :-|

Violet1956 - 2019-01-15 4:29 PM

. There are too many variables for me so it comes down to how I feel about it. I suspect that it is the same for my friends and family who are a mixture of for and against.

Seems to me that the campaign of lies on one side against a campaign of scaremongering on the other side have cancelled each other out.

So most people have stuck with their original opinions.

:-(

Barryd999 - 2019-01-15 4:42 PM

Examples please.

Where do you want me to start Barry , the very beginning and how you told us we would be in the sh!t immediately after the vote

antony1969 - 2019-01-15 9:37 AM

So why did they vote Brexit, Antony? You seem to understand, but I still don't get it. Can you explain, for a bear of very little brain, please? No-one ever seems to want to say. If I knew, I might even begin to understand.

antony1969 - 2019-01-15 7:42 PM

Examples please.

Where do you want me to start Barry , the very beginning and how you told us we would be in the sh!t immediately after the vote

We are in the s**t! Next.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-01-15 8:59 PM

Examples please.

Look on the bright side ;-) ........There's a recession coming and you'll be able to blame it on Brexit :D ............

Germany's already in recession, and no doubt that's Brexits fault? >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-01-15 10:53 PM

Examples please.

Look on the bright side ;-) ........There's a recession coming and you'll be able to blame it on Brexit :D ............

Germany's already in recession, and no doubt that's Brexits fault? >:-) .........

Well if its coming anyway as has already been said, its probably not a good idea to put ourselves in a much weaker position beforehand is it? We are already between £400-500m a week worse off and we havent left yet. If those economic forecasts are even remotely accurate about the No Deal Brexit you desire and we have to cope with a further down turn as well then I guess the sunlit uplands aint happening.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-01-15 11:22 PM

Examples please.

Well if its coming anyway as has already been said, its probably not a good idea to put ourselves in a much weaker position beforehand is it? We are already between £400-500m a week worse off and we havent left yet. If those economic forecasts are even remotely accurate about the No Deal Brexit you desire and we have to cope with a further down turn as well then I guess the sunlit uplands aint happening.

You shouldn't believe that Remoaner propaganda bilge Barry *-) ..........

My reports from the coalface say that the UK PLC is doing very nicely B-) ..........

Plus our gdp is still growing .......unlike some other EU countries >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-01-15 11:26 PM

Examples please.

My reports from the coalface say that the UK PLC is doing very nicely B-) ..........

Plus our gdp is still growing .......unlike some other EU countries >:-) .........

Your "coalface" has just suffered a massive shaft collapse......the worst defeat in history. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-15 11:35 PM

Examples please.

Your "coalface" has just suffered a massive shaft collapse......the worst defeat in history. *-)

Nope.......the coalface I refer to are people who run businesses in the soft furnishings sector, the kind of businesses that would be the first to notice any slow down ;-) ...........

pelmetman - 2019-01-15 11:38 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-01-15 11:35 PM

Examples please.

Nope.......the coalface I refer to are people who run businesses in the soft furnishings sector, the kind of businesses that would be the first to notice any slow down ;-) ...........

I don't think puffs and curtains is enough to keep the country from going to hell in a handbasket. How about you go and talk to some of those thousands of car workers faced with losing their jobs and see what they think of your 'coalface report'?

747 - 2019-01-15 11:41 PM

I was born 3 miles from Sunderland and as a leaver. I can assure the forum that I am not 'as thick as mince'.

I have also genuinely worked 'at the Coalface'. I found it preferable to being part of the EU. :D

Straight from thee hosses marth Brian ... You could do worse than asking a respected fellow member and Sunderland type person like 74777 why Sunderland looks like it prefers a no deal

Archived