TV License

chas

Just gone to renew my TV license at the post office, as you do, not any more, they have had this facility taken off them, you now have to find a pay point outlet or send off cheques to Bristol, or do it on line :'( THEY wont be happy till they are all out of business, its so sad. chas

Isn't it crazy?

The Post Office was, and should still be, the hub of the community.

It is going to be the elderly and most vulnerable members of our society who will suffer most with these changes.

Heaven knows how they will cope when the Post Offices have been driven out of business completely.

chas - 2007-11-30 1:34 PM

Just gone to renew my TV license at the post office, as you do, not any more, they have had this facility taken off them, you now have to find a pay point outlet or send off cheques to Bristol, or do it on line :'( THEY wont be happy till they are all out of business, its so sad. chas

I think you will find this applies to phone bills as well now.

We have always paid both through post office to give them the business - but cannot any more.

I assume it's part of a plan to close them down, but who knows who is behind it, ( Post Office or government ?)

In a few years all these things will only be possible on-line, as part of the gigantic data base being assembled on us all

-- to the delight of hackers everywhere.

( Don't worry though - it will all be kept secure).

Oddly enough, it is we PC users who are contributing to the demise of the Post Office. We email instead of writing, we buy online and most of our goods are delivered by private companies. The Post Office are trying their best to get people back into their premises. Offering great exchange rates for Euros etc, cash-back facilities and so on. The problem for most of us seems to be the queues. Why line up to pay your car tax or TV licence? Yes of course the elderly will be hit because of Post Offices closing in villages, but unless there is a profit to be made, and after all the Post Office is a business, their only option is to slim down.

But surely Vic the Post Office should be a SERVICE not a profit making organisation. By all means price things to make sure the industry breaks even, but why should it make a profit at the expence of jobs, vulnerable people and government ideology. Which by the way is supposed to be a Labour Government!

And perhaps they might be able to provide a service in a few more out of the way places if the weren't paying Adam Crozier 1 million pounds a year for a job he does ONE DAY A WEEK! Where's the queue for that job then!

Peoples Post Office.... My Ar** >:-)

yes, but what we really have is tories - free market economy and the poor to the wall

it's a hard line to draw - subsidies can encourage inefficiency - but without them - essential services go to the wall

our sub po is earmarked - to be replaced by this outreach farce

so they're proposing closing the po in the village store - to be replaced by one run elsewhere in the village

- - - - - - -

like - in the village store perhaps ????????

the lunatics ARE in charge and are busy rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic

B-)

Well Twooks. It just might be the local pub.

This is what they have done in the village near me, it now doubles as a postoffice. Offering pensions,stamps etc, but the t.v. licence/water rates and council tax have to be paid in the local shop down the road.

Where is the sense?

Tomo3090 - 2007-12-01 5:10 PM But surely Vic the Post Office should be a SERVICE not a profit making organisation. QUOTE]

To offer an acceptable level of service, any business must be allowed to make a profit.

The reason why the Post Office currently offers a dreadful service level and is overpriced is simply because it is inefficient, and this won't change until it is managed as a private business without Government interference.

The problem is that there is so much stuff that is now done elsewhere that used to only be done through the Post Office that they don't stand a chance of keeping them all going. We still use the one which we pass on the way to work - it was originally in a shop on its own and sold sweets, card and a few bits and bobs as well but there was just no way it could possibly be cost effective, it had 4 people employed working there and must've been very expensive to keep going. When the old postmaster retired they closed it and the PO service moved into the new cornershop/mini-market next door, which had a purpose made PO counter installed. The original PO worker were then employed there which was good as well as there being a new postmaster, so no-one actually lost out. If it hadn't been absorbed into the mini-market it wouldn't exist at all now. We use it a lot for parcel post (eg to post items we've sold on ebay), for buying stamps etc. As the cost of postage for larger parcels is now getting really silly and we can send some stuff through work instead (the post room manager sends it and we just pay the cost direct in to the post account through our Cash Office), we can't justify using the PO parcel post service as much, they are simply pricing themselves out of the market. :-(

I also can't stand the really awful adverts that they have done to try to persuade us to use the post office more - I can't actually understand what the 'Post Master' is saying most of the time! *-)

I don't know if it would be viable, or possible, but why not create rural Post Offices in a similar vein to the Mobile Library Service? I suppose, unfortunately, that a timetable would need to be created, thereby allowing all the local scrotes extra robbery facilities. Ah, such is the world we live in.

I now SORN my old classic car for the winter and tax our other vehicles on line. It is so easy!

In contrast if I use the nearest PO (my local sub-PO does not do Car Tax anymore) to do this I have to travel some distance, pay to park and then last time I did this I had a debate with an obnoxious person who wanted the word "Certificate" on my insurance details whereas mine said "Schedule".

In the end I returned home frustrated and tried doing it online.

Why the hell did I not do this before!

In 5 min it was done and ever since I have taxed my vehicles this way.

As for TV Licence - we will do the same from now on.

As for Road Tax? - France did away with theirs because the cost of collecting it was too high in proportion to the revenue gained and it was seen to be unfair as those who drove high mileages paid the same as those who did little driving.

So the French had the tax added to fuel costs.

And still their fuel is less expensive than ours by about 20%.

Do the French have a TV Licence????

Archived