Taken the plunge.............

avongas

Hi all,

My other half and I have just taken the plunge and purchased a Swift Sundance 530LP. 2006, 6000 miles £24k

Hopefully taking delivery on 12th. September. Looking forward to our first outing.

Anything I should be looking out for with this MH?

:-) :-)

Guest Tracker

Deepest commiserations John at being bitten by the Motorhome bug and welcome to the clan.

These bug bites are rarely fatal but they do inflict serious dents in your wallet often necessitating long periods away from home in the van to recuperate.

On the assumption that you have a previous model Ducato / Boxer, this is (in my view anyway!) a well tried and developed vehicle with few vices other than an overly high driving seat if a swivel base is fitted, unhelpful and apathetic main dealers, and a poor ankle angle in relation to the throttle.

All easily cured.

Get rid of the swivel, use a local independent garage and fit a cruise control!

Very good Tracker :-D :-D course, now I'm semi retired, I don't have as much contact with them there cone thingys - no doubt I will on my travels. On that subject, I am thinking of taking my first trip across to Ireland mid/late September.

Will visit my Mother in Dumfries, then carry on to Ferry at Stranraer. Any of you lovely people done this trip? any dos or donts??

(?) (?) (?)

Well done Spud and lets wish you all the best with your new van. Check the weather for that Stranraer crossing as it can get pretty rough, especially mid September.

Not sure how much experience you have with motorhomes, but the one thing that seems to crop up is the lack of info re. on how things work at handover time, so don't leave the dealers until you are satisfied that everything has been explained and understood to your satisfaction. Other than that its a case of enjoying life in the slow lane and learning to appreciate what ' motorway maintainence ' really is all about.

;-)

Thanks Howie,

Tranquilizers and anti seasick pills are the order then.

Re: handover- thanks for the tip, I have been promised a 2 hour handover, I'll see what info they can impart during that period.

We did hire a MH for a week about 2 years ago, so I am not a complete novice to it, but still need things explained in words of one syllable.

Me and 'the missus' intend to enjoy our freedom, and are looking forward to it - Sue has a list of things to buy already!!

Must remember to avoid traffic queues on motorways, why do the cones always come out when you are in a hurry :D :D

ohgrandma - 2008-08-18 8:49 PM

Hi, Spud, Congratulations, and here's hoping you have many happy

holiday's, take care out on those motorways and look out for them dreaded cones, you are always moving, Good luck, Ria. Have you named him/her yet? (lol)

As it is a Swift Sundance, 'Butch' is a possibility!! ;-)

Yep! - my vote would be for "Butch".

Do like the idea of just upping and going.

What is the layout? Dumb question from a tugger here but do the MH's with the high bit over the cab always have a fixed bed there?

We would want to have a fixed bed when we go on our grand tour (wishing my life away here as retirement is at least 9 years away but on a cold wet day in august, in the office - I have to have something to cheer me up!) and a seating/living area which would presumably be below?

I must become a bit more nosy and ask the MH'ers near us if I could have a look.

Hi Clive,

its an 18ft. 2 berth, end kitchen, mid lounge layout. Low profile, so no bed 'up top', fixed or otherwise. shower and toilet thingy opposite the door.

2 no. swivel seats, so either 2 single beds, or move cushions across for double. Looked at the MH's with 'the lump' on top, but discounted them due to me and the missus' touch of claustrophobia.

I hope you all are noticing my use of severe Technical Jargon!!!!!!

However, whatever floats your boat, come on in - the waters fine! (at the moment!)

:-)

Just a thought Spud, and it might not be possible, but the Shepton Mallet show is on from the 12th-14th, which would give you the ideal opportunity to try your van out before that Scottish/Irish grand tour.

Cutting it fine I know, but not to far from you and plenty of help and advice if you should need it.

Guest Tracker

The 530LP is the same layout as our Tracker EKS. It has been a 'standard' layout for many UK built vans for many years now because it works so well.

The trade off for not having a fixed bed in an under 6.0 metre van is a comfortable 'feet up' lounge and a wide and comfortable double bed.

The drawback is you have to make and unmake the ruddy bed every night and morning. Having done just this for 45 nights recently it becomes a chore after the first week then as you get used to doing it every day you tend not to notice any more.

That said, it would sometimes be nice to just 'crash out' on the bed in the daytime now and again.

Then again the under 6.00 metre benefits of cheaper ferry rates and easier parking go a very long way to offset the inconvenience of bed making

I suppose it does depend on your camping style to a degree.

If you are nomadic wanderers - as we are - it is a great compromise.

If you are camp site sitters and either do not drive the van each day, or use other forms of transport locally, then I can see the real advantage of a fixed bed in a longer van.

Shepton Mallet is a good show with lots of stalls where you can buy all manner of kit you never knew you needed - and some of it will be invaluable - and some of it won't!

Watch out for the threads on here and see who is going (we might if the weather is suitable) and try to meet up to do some serious brain picking.

We will only decide whether or not to go on the day before the show as it takes so little time to get mobile and we have no work commitments.

howie - 2008-08-19 11:49 AM

Just a thought Spud, and it might not be possible, but the Shepton Mallet show is on from the 12th-14th, which would give you the ideal opportunity to try your van out before that Scottish/Irish grand tour.

Cutting it fine I know, but not to far from you and plenty of help and advice if you should need it.

I just might do that Howie, be lovely to meet you all there (thats a threat if ever there is one!!) we'll see how it goes first.

Tracker - 2008-08-19 12:47 PM

The 530LP is the same layout as our Tracker EKS. It has been a 'standard' layout for many UK built vans for many years now because it works so well.

The trade off for not having a fixed bed in an under 6.0 metre van is a comfortable 'feet up' lounge and a wide and comfortable double bed.

The drawback is you have to make and unmake the ruddy bed every night and morning. Having done just this for 45 nights recently it becomes a chore after the first week then as you get used to doing it every day you tend not to notice any more.

We usually use sleeping bags, a lot more easier than making up a double bed every night, and with these vacuum bag storage thingy bobs, don't take up too much valuable space.

Hi Spud, " Butch " sounds good to me, But i thought it might be " Rover" ??

We had the Swift Corniche van, It was quite luxurious, shower room

and dressing area, and over 6 ft long seats, which made a double bed, and

the kitchen was central, That was the caravan, though, We had to down size to a Talbot Motorhome of course the difference in space was hard to get used to, But, We had many happy holidays to look back on, Which I

sincerely wish you and your wife, Ria.

Hi Mr Potato man... just wanted to add my congrats to the rest of them...

Beware of the moths flying out of your wallet ... they won't live long. Just come back from Malvern having determined not to buy anything. One new leisure battery, one small driveaway awning, one new flag pole (just to mention the larger purchases) later ... here I am.

Don't want to say much cos the others can't get on site yet and will wait for them. Joy

Scrub that show at Shepton Mallet Spud. End of season sales could see you realising you could have saved a couple of grand on that van you bought which might be depressing. *-)

Might be a good idea to change the carpets now fitted to your new van with some offcuts. Saves on wear and tear, and with the weather we're getting at the moment pity to spoil the originals with all the mud you're likely to take on board.

Guest Tracker
spud - 2008-08-19 2:51 PM

We usually use sleeping bags, a lot more easier than making up a double bed every night, and with these vacuum bag storage thingy bobs, don't take up too much valuable space.

As our bed is 5' wide we use 2 king size duvet covers tied together at the bottom with tapes spaced about 8" apart.

Being wider and longer than sleeping bags these gives us a nice comfy overlap of covers and keeps us tootsies warm without the need to tuck anything in for simple and quick bedmaking.

We can insert (or not if tis hot) a duvet in one of the covers. This gives us a change over of top cover when needed by either turning one or both over or using the bottom cover on the top because the top end of the bottom cover which has been under the pillows is still fresh and unused. If you get my drift!

The double layer on the bottom also helps reduce perspiration moisture transfer to the upholstery if tis flippin hot.

We also carry a couple of lightweight fleece blankets for extra warmth but rarely need them.

Hi Rich, Sorry, but had to laugh at that, It did make sense in the end though, Tell me what is wrong with 4 or even 5 of the prickly blankets we used to use on our own beds at home, I think these Duvets have made us all lazy at bed making nowadays. Shame on us all, (lol) (lol) Ria.

spud - 2008-08-18 8:06 PM

Hi all,

My other half and I have just taken the plunge and purchased a Swift Sundance 530LP. 2006, 6000 miles £24k

Hopefully taking delivery on 12th. September. Looking forward to our first outing.

Anything I should be looking out for with this MH?

:-) :-)

Spud, well done that man, hope you have many happy travels, like Tracker says when the bug bites, it can hurt the wallet a bit, but I can not think of anything that gives as much pleasure, enjoy your new Motorhome. Carol.

Guest Tracker
ohgrandma - 2008-08-19 7:55 PM

Hi Rich, Sorry, but had to laugh at that, It did make sense in the end though, Tell me what is wrong with 4 or even 5 of the prickly blankets we used to use on our own beds at home, I think these Duvets have made us all lazy at bed making nowadays. Shame on us all, (lol) (lol) Ria.

Whilst I do enjoy a good wriggle round in bed I prefer it to be for a different reason than itchy prickly blankets Ria - although I can't quite remember what a different reason for wriggling about could possibly be!

Lazy? Que? Moi? Yeah you betcha I am when it comes to avoidable bed making!

Rich, When we were young my Mum used to give us various jobs to do.

and Mine was to make all the beds up, with white sheets and prickly blankets, While my older sister had to help in the kitchen, Hence she turned out to be a very good cook, I have hated bedmaking ever since.

So Duvets were the answer to my prayers, Ria, (lol)

Tracker - 2008-08-19 7:35 PM

The double layer on the bottom also helps reduce perspiration moisture transfer to the upholstery if tis flippin hot.

This 'perspiration moisture' you suffer from Richard. I do hope Dot is fully aware of what she's in for before contracts are signed.

Hi spud :-D Im sure you will enjoy your new van, we have a Swift kontiki and it has loads of storage space and a good sized shower, bathroom.

You might want a portable heater if your van is like ours gas! no electric heating so you can take advantage when your on hookup. The bed is very roomy and making it up is no trouble at all ;-) my hubby does that . enjoy your trip to Scotland and Ireland.

Archived