Taking food abroad

maggyd

Does anyone know if the restrictions of taking fresh or frozen meat abroad is still in place? My little dog is suffering with Pancritis and I need to take some chicken pieces to mix with is dog food untill we get to a Supermarket over there, do you think I will have a problem?

There are still strict restrictions in place following the foot and mouth outbreak from 2007 which are still in force I believe Magaret. These include fresh or frozen food, pet food and even milk and sandwiches.I think you are allowed to take food on board, but this must be disposed of before entering a foreign port. Best to check beforehand and be sure though.

Oh my head! good job no one has ever asked me about it!!, our van for the last 3 times has been full of pre cooked chicken for sandwiches, and fully made up meals that contain either mince or chicken.

They have only ever been interested in us having extra humans that we didn't know about, they don't even seem to bother about cigs and alcohol. With the size of us maybe they think we wouldn't be able to keep that much food and would have eaten it by the time we got there :-D

I wouldn't worry too much, not heard any tales of anyone been questioned about this for a long time now.

Mandy

howie - 2008-04-27 11:17 PM

There are still strict restrictions in place following the foot and mouth outbreak from 2007 which are still in force I believe Magaret. These include fresh or frozen food, pet food and even milk and sandwiches.I think you are allowed to take food on board, but this must be disposed of before entering a foreign port. Best to check beforehand and be sure though.

Howie were going under the Tunnel :-S would that make a difference? I did look on the Defra site and as you say it gives information for 2007 I thought it would have changed! would anyone know do you think if I had

a couple of chicken breasts in my fridge?

Mandy&Andy - 2008-04-28 6:37 AM

Oh my head! good job no one has ever asked me about it!!, our van for the last 3 times has been full of pre cooked chicken for sandwiches, and fully made up meals that contain either mince or chicken.

They have only ever been interested in us having extra humans that we didn't know about, they don't even seem to bother about cigs and alcohol. With the size of us maybe they think we wouldn't be able to keep that much food and would have eaten it by the time we got there :-D

I wouldn't worry too much, not heard any tales of anyone been questioned about this for a long time now.

Mandy

It does seem a bit ridiculous doesnt it *-) everyone has to have something for meals at least to tide you over a couple of days.

I should not worry about it too much. We always take a good stock of cooked meat pies, chicken and raw meat to see us over the first 4/5 days of the holiday. I have never been checked re fridge contents, not even at the height of the two recent foot & mouth scares. Of all the vehicles entering France what is the chance of them picking on you?

I couldn't find anything about not taking meat and milk products to france and there was nothing on the electronic noticeboard at Dover in March.

In October 2007 the first we know about restrictions was at the ferry port and there was no time and place to discard anything anyway.

At Santander we hid some food in the underfloor before we disembarked but no-one was interested anyway.

Information on this subject does seem rather vague or out of date Heather, but I would be inclined to agree with others that this should,nt be a problem for Magaret, which after all is just enough chicken for her pet until they get over the channel.

Margaret

Went over with MH last Sept and Mini bus in March, not a question about food but the guy's at the tunnel 'mini bus trip' wanted to know if we had any explosives, this was Sat lunch time, lucky it was not Sun lunch time on the way home after all the food and drink the group of us had consumed lol

Geof

howie - 2008-04-28 7:09 PM

Information on this subject does seem rather vague or out of date Heather, but I would be inclined to agree with others that this should,nt be a problem for Magaret, which after all is just enough chicken for her pet until they get over the channel.

WELLLL!! if we cant take much it would only be for the dog ;-) but we have to eat dont we? and I would rather cater than go in the Service area,s ! as this is the first time going with the van and were not sure about shopping or stopovers yet, being an ex girl guide (lol) I like to be prepared.

maggyd - 2008-04-29 2:45 PM

howie - 2008-04-28 7:09 PM

WELLLL!! if we cant take much it would only be for the dog ;-) but we have to eat dont we? and I would rather cater than go in the Service area,s ! as this is the first time going with the van and were not sure about shopping or stopovers yet, being an ex girl guide (lol) I like to be prepared.

No need to worry about shopping. Very often supermarkets are on the edge of towns, plenty of parking spaces, height barriers are rare - and of course, being self service, you don't even have to ask for anything !

You don't even need to understand when they tell you the total bill - you can read it off the till.

;-) ;-)

WELLL!! you should have said so Maggie, and your original posting only mentioned food for the dog.

Thought you might be interested in the fines and penalties imposed for breaking those 'fresh meat' regulations, which include confiscation of vehicle and £50,000/ 3 years imprisonment (max) , but again I stress that checks are few and far between and suggest you simply relax and enjoy that holiday. ;-)

howie - 2008-04-29 7:23 PM

WELLL!! you should have said so Maggie, and your original posting only mentioned food for the dog.

Thought you might be interested in the fines and penalties imposed for breaking those 'fresh meat' regulations, which include confiscation of vehicle and £50,000/ 3 years imprisonment (max) , but again I stress that checks are few and far between and suggest you simply relax and enjoy that holiday. ;-)

Oh your JOKING!! 8-) MY MAIN CONCERN iS FOR THE DOG but if I could and my OH thinks Im being Bl--dy ridiculous I like to have something in just in case! and I dont feel like shopping straight away :-S am I the only women that feels like this.?

Why don,t you do the same as the Esikimos Maggie. Never take much food on their trecks and simply eat one of the huskys now and then. Saves a lot of excess weight having to be carried around and should see you well into France, depending on how big your dog is of course. :->

Not really feasible Donna as a pig would be classed as 'livestock' and puts you back to square one, unless of course you have one of those pot bellied ones which just might be passed off as a pet.

Seems a lot of hassle this going abroad, and perhaps Maggie would be better off selling her van and booking a few weeks in Skegness.

howie - 2008-05-01 11:27 AM

Not really feasible Donna as a pig would be classed as 'livestock' and puts you back to square one, unless of course you have one of those pot bellied ones which just might be passed off as a pet.

Seems a lot of hassle this going abroad, and perhaps Maggie would be better off selling her van and booking a few weeks in Skegness.

S..d Off Howie who asked YOU anway if it hurts you to answer DONT. >:-)

howie - 2008-05-01 10:17 AM

Why don,t you do the same as the Esikimos Maggie. Never take much food on their trecks and simply eat one of the huskys now and then. Saves a lot of excess weight having to be carried around and should see you well into France, depending on how big your dog is of course. :->

Be very careful if you are eating your husky, though - the liver contains toxic levels of vitamin A that can kill you. *-)

(It worries me that I actually KNOW this sort of thing 8-) )

J9withdogs - 2008-05-02 8:42 AM

howie - 2008-05-01 10:17 AM

Be very careful if you are eating your husky, though - the liver contains toxic levels of vitamin A that can kill you. *-)

(It worries me that I actually KNOW this sort of thing 8-) )

You shouldn't be talking about eating dogs J9, it's making yours look very nervous.

;-) ;-)

Archived