Taking pets abroad

maggyd

I have just got my little dog his PETS PASSPORT but has anyone been asked for a extra medical cert; my vet asked how we were travelling and we told him that we intended to go vie the tunnel, he said that wouldnt be a problem BUT if we were going by Ferry we might be asked for a Medical certificate which we would have to get off him before we went to be on the safe side!!

I have never heard of this! he also said that in some countries, not Holland ,Germany or France where we intend to travel but maybe Switzeland or Malta for instance!! I just wondered if anyone on here new anything about this?

Nope! Never heard of it. We've been into France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium (and probably others - can't remember!), and have never been asked for anything other than the pet passports. We do, however, always take their vaccination certificates with us just in case but have never yet needed them.

Is he going to charge you for it?

We only took the pets passport and the record book of UK yearly vacinations etc. No one quiried this.

We had the return treatment done at a little town outside Metz the vet charged 32 euro for his time which was around three quarters of an hour, this was their first time of dealing with the pet passport. This is cheaper than in UK, makes you wonder if its worth waiting and having the yearly vacs done over there.

David

Interesting point, it depends whether or not you are on holiday at the time it needs to be done and if you also want to 'waste' your precious holiday time at a vets. As they rabies vaccination is usually £20-25 here, I'm not sure how much it would cost there, but worth asking. Don't forget that the 32 euros was only for his tick and flea treatment and health check, not the rabies vaccination. We've found a vet in Belgium who only charged us 35 euros for the check up etc for 3 dogs once! But last time we went to one in Boulogne Sur Mer and were charged 107 euros for 2 dogs!!! When I've looked at the cost of just buying the flea treatment alone abroad, though, it has actually been more expensive than buying it here.

For normal yearly vaccinations, our vet does a scheme where we paid £60 on top of the then current vaccination fee and now they are free for the rest of the pet's life, as we were usually paying around £25 a dog for vaccinations it works out well.

I must admit I didnt have a clue what he was talking about It makes me wonder if he was after some more money!! but he said that if we intended going by Ferry we would need to show them this as they would ask for it or they wouldnt let him go in their kennels!!!!!!

maggyd - 2007-12-04 8:25 PM

I must admit I didnt have a clue what he was talking about It makes me wonder if he was after some more money!! but he said that if we intended going by Ferry we would need to show them this as they would ask for it or they wouldnt let him go in their kennels!!!!!!

Ah, in which case it might be for when you go on a LONG crossing and the mutts go in their kennels rather than staying in your motorhome. It could be similar to the UK kennels who insist on dogs having the kennel cough vaccination, might be summut to do with making sure they are well and in good health? If you don't ever intend to go on a ferry where your dogs are put in kennels then I wouldn't worry.

Sparkle - 2007-12-04 8:32 PM

Do check out this thread which explains about Leishmania.... if you're coming to spain or another Med country then its worth it!

I did read your piece about this Sparkle and it frightened me to death 8-) we wont be going to Spain this next trip, my dog is only a couple of inches off the ground and weighs 3kg he wouldnt stand a chance would he? Im wondering about these collors that I heard somebody talking about for when they go on the beach.!!

Mel B - 2007-12-04 8:37 PM

maggyd - 2007-12-04 8:25 PM

Ah, in which case it might be for when you go on a LONG crossing and the mutts go in their kennels rather than staying in your motorhome. It could be similar to the UK kennels who insist on dogs having the kennel cough vaccination, might be summut to do with making sure they are well and in good health? If you don't ever intend to go on a ferry where your dogs are put in kennels then I wouldn't worry.

No I cant see us using the Ferry as the Tunnel is much quicker and the dog doesnt get stressed by being left on his own in the van. But in case they was a big offer which is highly unlikely and OH was tempted I thought I would ask. Thanks.

maggyd - 2007-12-04 9:46 PM

Sparkle - 2007-12-04 8:32 PM

Do check out this thread which explains about Leishmania.... if you're coming to spain or another Med country then its worth it!

I did read your piece about this Sparkle and it frightened me to death 8-) we wont be going to Spain this next trip, my dog is only a couple of inches off the ground and weighs 3kg he wouldnt stand a chance would he? Im wondering about these collors that I heard somebody talking about for when they go on the beach.!!

Collar for the beach?? Not sure what that one is, unles they mean the Scalibor ones (which are for the Leishmania which is transmitted by sand flies...- but they are for everywhere, we live 15km inland, and no sand in our house, but he still got bitten). But if its south of france, italy or Spain or portugal I'd defo get one.

David Dwight - 2007-12-05 8:37 PM

Mel, we were charged £45 for Rabies vacination by our vet, and then £79 for blood test and further £20 for the passport.

David

P.S. things always seem dearer this way ie, diesel is £108.9 here down at Salisbury it is still under a pound.

Looks like I got a bargain Dave!! the rabies injection was £23. 48. blood test was £60. and passport £23. 50. (lol)

Looks like a bloody rip off to me these Vets I know they trained for along time but thats taking the biscuit .

our vet always used to bring a bulk lot & when she was doing the horses she would do all the dogs on the yard .

She advised us not to have the flu jabs every year for our dogs as she said it was a rip off.

Yes Michelle I agree my little dog who is only 17 months has in the last couple of months cost us nearlly £300 that is including the passport! but with his annual booster he also had an infection up his nose which needed two lots of antibiotics an xray, blood test, which Im sure werent necessary as someone else told me their dog had it and it was diognosed as a Virus!!

But once you have the passport you only need the booster every two years and if it means we can go abroad which we wouldnt without the dog its got to be worth paying.

Margaret ,

I understand that you are stuck really and that you wouldn't go away without your little man . I suppose I am lucky really because i have my daughter at home who does not want to come so all the animals are fine Jingles is the one that pines for me the other Fudge is hers anyway . The parrot and the dogs get a big fuss so I am lucky in that respect I dont have to look to farm them out I wouldnt be happy with that .

I understand also why you take the shuttle I like it the best and with an animal you can atleast keep them with you so an excellent way to travel.

But these vets I now they have a mark up on drugs but its slightley over the top in my opinion .

I sit here with my drug books and if i was to look at how much the NHS pays for them to how much we are charged its rediculos.

They should iMO stick to an averga echarge for say to pull bloods .

Although that will never work as then they would just say its the labs that charge for pulling extra tests ?

Bit like my daughter horse shoes cost £5 £10 made by the time they fit them £80 but the only difference is it stays at that what ever .

They dont up it or down it if you get what I mean if you buy them from the shop . If they make them by hand with all the work it still remains at the same price ...I dont know talk about profit . No one minds them making a living but its just greed sometimes.

Anyway have a good time.

maggyd - 2007-12-06 3:17 PM

David Dwight - 2007-12-05 8:37 PM

Mel, we were charged £45 for Rabies vacination by our vet, and then £79 for blood test and further £20 for the passport.

David

P.S. things always seem dearer this way ie, diesel is £108.9 here down at Salisbury it is still under a pound.

Looks like I got a bargain Dave!! the rabies injection was £23. 48. blood test was £60. and passport £23. 50. (lol)

The solution is - move abroad, or at least arrange your trip so you can get the jabs done here when they need renewing.....a blood test is 28 euros, and we paid 80 euros to get a micro chip and a rabies injection done at the same time - I think the last lot of jabs which included rabies and distemper was about 50 euros.

Microchip - £15 (RSPCA do it cheap)

Annual vaccination - £25 approx.

Rabies - £25 approx (annual).

Blood test - can't remember exactly but probably around £60.

Passport probably £20.

Still trying to decide whether to 'risk' not having the dogs' rabies vacs done every year.

Don't forget the biggest rip-off though, £30 for each dog on the ferry/chunnel!!

Archived