Tea or Coffee?

starvin marvin

As a devout coffee addict, it always surprises me when people say "The first thing we do etc etc .....is put the kettle on and have a nice cup of tea". Do people really do this?

I have noticed in our local Tesco's that they seem to sell more coffee than tea judging by the amount of shelf space provided. Whereas in Lidl there appears to be more tea than coffee sold.

The demographics suggest younger punters in Tesco and older persons, a bit down at heel like myself use Lidl's. Maybe its down to the cost or maybe image, who knows. Certainly Tesco's and Lidl's do!

starvin marvin - 2009-08-20 10:28 AM

As a devout coffee addict, it always surprises me when people say "The first thing we do etc etc .....is put the kettle on and have a nice cup of tea". Do people really do this?

I have noticed in our local Tesco's that they seem to sell more coffee than tea judging by the amount of shelf space provided. Whereas in Lidl there appears to be more tea than coffee sold.

The demographics suggest younger punters in Tesco and older persons, a bit down at heel like myself use Lidl's. Maybe its down to the cost or maybe image, who knows. Certainly Tesco's and Lidl's do!

Or it could be something to do with a preference for the taste ?

;-)

Hi Marvin, Or somewhere in that equation it could be that up until recently we were told coffee was bad for us and tea was good. Hence the oldies were sensible ........

However, we are now told that as long as we drink about fifty cups of coffee a day, it will protect us against prostate and breast cancer, so watch and see if it all goes turnabout!!!!

Aside, whilst at Malvern I bought some lovely coffee that was Amarillo (?) flavoured and can't stop drinking it.... not drunk coffee until recently. (However I also bought some Toffee Vodka ..... and am usually strictly tea total and it's gorgeous but knocks me out after five minutes *-) )

Still say can't beat a nice cuppa tea and a good man to make it, if there are any. :-D

Hi SM, that is definately the first thing we do kettle on and make a lovely brew. I am a completely Tea person myself and it has to be proper tea in a pot (none of this horrible teabag rubbish) never ever drink coffee even the smell gives me a headache. My better half has also had to stop drinking coffee as it started giving her headaches as well.

Bas

I always start the day with a cup of PG then generally have a pot of coffee on at work for the morning, gives me about four mugfuls but I rarely drink coffee after midday, then its a couple more cups of PG in the afternoon before switching to beer for the evening :D , occasionally wine instead and even more rarely a drop of brandy or whiskey before bedtime.

D.

Many times my OH would say you don't like it here do you? and I never knew why he was spot on..........it's all to do with how quickly the kettle comes out and goes on! - if I'm unsure of a place to stay the night the kettle seems to stay put in the cupboard for much much longer.

I'm a tea pot, so much so that one of the pups who also likes tea has the nickname tea pot - slightly embarassing when recalling her!

Tea here. My grandaughter, who is 7, presented me with her list of rules to be obeyed whilst she was staying with me. Top of the list was ''nanny must only drink 2 cups of tea per day''.I was soon in there with a pencil to change it to 200.

pkc - 2009-08-21 10:19 AM

My wife gets a lot of headaches :-|

Regards PKC.

Sorry off topic but PKC's comment reminds me of a joke (least I think it was a joke)!

Just before going to bed the husband offered his wife a cup of tea and two pain killers, to which she retorted thanks for the tea but why the tablets I don't have any aches and pains.........................!!

(Worked for me once B-) B-) B-) )

Bas

• 2 weeks later...

A nice cup of tea anytime for me! Hubby makes it in the morning and brings it to bed so I can slurp it up before heaving m'self out. He also brings me tea without me asking ... they appear as if by magic!

Tea is my 'life-force', it really does perk me up, when I've had a bad day or am not too well, or upset, a nice cup of tea really hits the spot and does wonders ... I don't know how I'd cope if I couldn't have another cuppa!

I do drink coffee too, usually when on holiday with breakfast (tea first thing of course!), but also at work as it's quicker than making tea and I have a nasty habit of leaving tea to brew and forgetting about it as I get engrossed in what I'm doing! :-S

In fact, a nice cup of tea 'magically' arrived about 5 minutes ago and I'm gradually slurping it down .... (lol)

You sound like me, Mel.

Isn't the worst thing of all when you are in hospital and nil by mouth and the morning of the op you arn't allowed a morning cuppa when the tea trollies are doing the rounds? :'( "Look, ladies. Look at what you can't have!"

But oh, that first cup of tea afterwards ....... Heaven! :-D

Joy

Ooo Roon, that's just reminded me ...

The first time I went in hospital for an emergency operation on my back I was scared stiff - I'd been kept 'nil by mouth' since 12.30 pm and didn't go to the theatre until 9.00 pm just as they'd gone round with the evening tea trolley - mean b*ggers!! I was sooooooo thirsty and all I could have was some lemon flavoured dampened giant cue-tip type things to quench it! :-(

When I was out of surgery and back on the ward, by which time my hubby had gone home, the first thing I remember doing was mumbling "cup of tea" to the nurse!!!! 8-) :D :$

Archived