Tell us what you miss

michele

About the old days was it just the innocence or maybe something else .

I miss seeing fruit & veg for sale out side peoples house's but most of all the little honesty box that went with it . Just saw an advert that reminded me of it very sad indeed . My kids just said mum why is know one ther taking the money very sad a .

Are your good old days now then Gaz? If you see what I mean.

Michele I still see fruit & veg for sale up here by the side of the road. Plants too. If I don't have what they are selling in our garden I am pleased to buy.

I miss good manners and lack of respect.

Carol

Ah good manners why is it the French say bojour bonsoir bon appertite

Bon voyage Bonsoire probably all spelt wrong anyway monsure et damm

and all them nice things to each other then drive like nut cases and have the manners of pigs when shopping or standing in a que ...I wonder where their manners go . Please tell me I am not the only one that hs noticed it .

Rosie red apples sweets

Pear drops.

Yep! - Good manners and mutual respect is what was lost by the 1960's spawning the political correctness that we all suffer from now.

Did anyone find themselves nodding in agreement with the lady republican VP candidate when she criticised the other party for being worried that terrorists sworn to destroy that country would not be read their "rights".

Bit extreme I grant you but it does strike a cord with those of us who come accross people that want all their "rights" but none of the responcibility that should go with such rights.

I miss the children being allowed to be children and being safe when they play out, When i was a kid you could go off and play for hours without your parents having to worry if they hadnt seen you for 20mins. Advenures to be had in local woods climbing trees rope swings accross ponds and brooks building dens etc.

ok you got told off if you came home wet but you could go out and be safe

chatterdog - 2008-09-06 10:19 AM

I miss the children being allowed to be children and being safe when they play out, When i was a kid you could go off and play for hours without your parents having to worry if they hadnt seen you for 20mins. Advenures to be had in local woods climbing trees rope swings accross ponds and brooks building dens etc.

ok you got told off if you came home wet but you could go out and be safe

Those were the halcyon days, :-) Carol.

davenewell@home - 2008-09-06 3:41 PM

A short visit to the Isle of Wight ought to sort you lot out, they still live in the good old days out there :D :D :D .

D.

Good idea Dave.

Or if you want to go even further back in time - visit the Outer Hebrides.

( Hope your trip went well Dave ).

CliveH - 2008-09-06 8:36 AM

Yep! - Good manners and mutual respect is what was lost by the 1960's spawning the political correctness that we all suffer from now.

Did anyone find themselves nodding in agreement with the lady republican VP candidate when she criticised the other party for being worried that terrorists sworn to destroy that country would not be read their "rights".

Bit extreme I grant you but it does strike a cord with those of us who come accross people that want all their "rights" but none of the responcibility that should go with such rights.

Yes it did strike a cord with me I nearly fell off the chair we would be shot for saying that but i do agree with her .

michele - 2008-09-07 1:10 AM

CliveH - 2008-09-06 8:36 AM

Yes it did strike a cord with me I nearly fell off the chair we would be shot for saying that but i do agree with her .

She sounds a bit confused to me.

We are told that she is " pro - life "

...and ( we are told ) one of her "hobbies" is shooting animals.

:-( :-(

WHEN WE WERE YOUNG (Well most on this forum)

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's and 70's probably shouldn't have survived, because...

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint, which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and fluorescent 'clackers' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle - tasted the same.

We ate dripping sandwiches, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no one minded.

We did not have Playstations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 299 channels on TV, no videotape movies or DVDs, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet chat rooms.

We had friends................ we just went outside and found them.

We played tag and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits. They were accidents.

We learnt not to do the same thing again.

We had fights, punched each other hard and got black and blue we learned to get over it.

We walked to friend's homes.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate live stuff, and although we were told it would happen, we did not have very many eyes out, nor did the live stuff live inside us forever.

We rode bikes in packs and wore our coats by only the hood.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them. Congratulations!

Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.

http://www.jazzworld.btinternet.co.uk/oldtimes.htm

Reproduced without permission but I, the would like to acknowledge and thank the above (and/or original author) for this little piece. It brightened up my day and I hope yours too.

Another little gem from an old soldier.

DAFTLAND

We live in a country called Daftland,

The Britain we know is no more,

Where sensible people do ludicrous things

Or risk breaking some Daftland law.

In Daftland we have police dogs with muzzels

Lest the villain has cause to complain,

And to steal from a shop,then say “sorry”

Means your free with no stain on your name.

You’d better leave lights on in buildings

When you lock up and go home at night,

‘Cause the burglars might hurt themselves entering

And there’s no way you’d be in the right.

When speaking be wary in Daftland

As some terms that you’ve used all your life

Now have connotations unintended,

And you’ll end up in all sorts of strife.

We elect politicians in Daftland

To give us the laws of the land,

Yet eight laws in ten now come from abroad

The whole thing has got out of hand

The borders are open to Daftland

And of migrants there’s no keeping track,

Just a few of the thousands illegally here

Will ever be caught and sent back.

The exception to this is the hero

Who fought for this land in the war.

He’s old and he’s sick, he might cost us a bit,

So he’s not welcome here any more.

When the history is written of Daftland

Historians may well recall

That the craziest people in Daftland

Were the public who put up with it all!

Thanks to R. Hopkins

Firstly a thanks to John P - great contrubutions - made us smile on this damp cold September afternoon.

It looks like we all miss very similar things - is it just nostalgia? No I think not. I grew up in Jersey (wasn't I lucky?) where my holidays from school were spent by the sea, well nowhere was very far on an island 45 square miles. I used to play in the woods, build willow cabins, help in the fields during the potato and tomato growing season, take picnics to the beach. No, we didn't have any electronic games and copious amounts of toys. We ate well, the food was local and fresh and in season, we ate dripping on toast, pork crackling and other no no's. I was as skinny as a rake, played netball, swam, climbed trees - I was allowed to be a child without any undue supervision. I was a bit of a rebel too.

Jersey still has fruit and vegetables by the roadside, there is an honesty box, not many people lock their cars and when I was there recently, I would go out and leave doors unlocked for workmen, leave my car and keys for the garage to collect. There is still a great sense of village community, people help each other. Perhaps Jersey is unique, but I am sure there are still communities in Britain that are like this, but we don't hear about the good life, only the bad things that are happening. This government has a lot to answer for and the recent ramblings by Darling regarding the state of the economy was irresponsible in the extreme, nothing is guaranteed to make everyone dive for cover than bad news like that. British people are a resourceful lot and when needs must, we can always find a way of coping with difficulties.

If there are things we miss, lets resurrect them and turn things around. I picked up some really cheap strawberries a couple of weeks ago. When I was young, we used to make all our own jam - a lengthy process in a large pan. I made two pounds in a microwave very quickly - delicious. Anyone for scones, homemade jam and cream?

Malc d

We still have saturday morning pictures where I work P/t.

Nowadays it's called "Kids Club." Mainly recent movies with some in digital.

Lots of popcorn/drinks where most ends up on the floor.

Sadly, no Hopalong Cassisday, Roy Rogers, Gene Autrey, Abbott and Costello and the like which we used to enjoy. Happy day!

Do you remember Ki-ora and the Ovalteenies song?

Malc D

Saturday mornings at the picture house. Yep remember them well - usually a film or even two, a Flash Gordon episode and sometimes a live act such as a juggler, dog-trainer or a yo-yo expert. All for a few pence. Gob-stoppers, sherbert dip, penny Arrow Bars, Mo-Jos, aniseed balls or Uncle Joe's Mintballs were the standard accompaniments.

Bob

Archived