Ten Police Officers injured by a corrosive substance

StuartO

This is the sort of thing that will force police to adopt more and more heavy-handed methods.

They were conducting a raid in connection with a suspected drug den or distribution place when they triggered a defensive trap which released a corrosive substance. It would not be difficult for criminals to get the materials to set such a trap; ordinary battery acid would serve the purpose. Delaying the entry of police would give them time to destroy evidence.

To counter such threats the police will have to wear more and more personal protection equipment and perhaps also use more and more pre-active force. It's the same scenario which forces US police to end up shooting first if necessary to protect themselves.

We really do need to find a way to make doing this sort of thing seriously counter-productive to the criminals.

StuartO - 2020-09-23 5:11 PM

To counter such threats the police will have to wear more and more personal protection equipment and perhaps also use more and more pre-active force.

Drug raids, particularly 'farms' in bedrooms and lofts are commonplace for police and i must admit this is the first time i've heard of anything like that before. It's probably a first for the police too as it's certainly unusual but providing appropriate PPE is the obvious solution so let's hope it's properly funded. Firefighters have all the equipment to tackle any accidents/fires where corrosive substances are involved so i see no reason why police shouldn't have the same facility. Maybe they do.

Archived