Tesco - 15,000 jobs "at risk"

Bulletguy

Nope it's not leaving UK due to Brexit but it is embarking on a fresh round of aggressive cost-cutting in its UK supermarket business that involves the closure of meat, fish and delicatessen counters as well as downgrading in-store bakeries. Staff canteens are also to be replaced with vending machines. Up to 15,000 jobs will be at risk. This time last year they chucked out 2,800.

Need not happen though. Instead of getting rid of all these people and handing out redundancy payments, just knock them down to one hour a week each and let the state pick up the tab. They will count as "employed" so government still get to trill and coo about "unemployment at a record low"......but they'll have to pay out more benefits.

At this rate food banks will outnumber supermarkets in Brexit Blighty. :-|

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/27/thousands-of-tesco-jobs-as-risk-as-bosses-look-to-axe-fresh-food-counters

Bulletguy - 2019-01-28 12:00 AM

Nope it's not leaving UK due to Brexit but it is embarking on a fresh round of aggressive cost-cutting in its UK supermarket business that involves the closure of meat, fish and delicatessen counters as well as downgrading in-store bakeries. Staff canteens are also to be replaced with vending machines. Up to 15,000 jobs will be at risk. This time last year they chucked out 2,800.

Need not happen though. Instead of getting rid of all these people and handing out redundancy payments, just knock them down to one hour a week each and let the state pick up the tab. They will count as "employed" so government still get to trill and coo about "unemployment at a record low"......but they'll have to pay out more benefits.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/27/thousands-of-tesco-jobs-as-risk-as-bosses-look-to-axe-fresh-food-counters

Well theTories have almost succeeded in creating a country where the majority of it's inhabitants will so poor their wealthy mates will soon be able to hand out charity willy nilly and the ordinary people will be reduced to begging for favour. Back to Victorian times we go....what a responsible government...but then I guess this was the plan all along and it's just coming to fruition. I wonder if the great unwashed realise yet how they have been taken for a ride what they have foisted on the rest of us through their ignorance and xenophobia. Sad times ahead as we watch the final plans for the privatisation of the NHS succeed.

Guest pelmetman
HarveyHeaven - 2019-01-28 7:41 AM

Well theTories have almost succeeded in creating a country where the majority of it's inhabitants will so poor their wealthy mates will soon be able to hand out charity willy nilly and the ordinary people will be reduced to begging for favour. Back to Victorian times we go....what a responsible government...but then I guess this was the plan all along and it's just coming to fruition. I wonder if the great unwashed realise yet how they have been taken for a ride what they have foisted on the rest of us through their ignorance and xenophobia. Sad times ahead as we watch the final plans for the privatisation of the NHS succeed.

More loony lefty bile :D ...........

Best employment figures in decades, gdp still growing compared to Germany who's in technical recession...... just 60 days til UK Independence day ........and a natural born loser in charge of the Labour party.........Us Brexit voting Tories have never had it so good B-) .........

HarveyHeaven - 2019-01-28 7:41 AM

Well the Tories have almost succeeded in creating a country where the majority of it's inhabitants will so poor their wealthy mates will soon be able to hand out charity willy nilly and the ordinary people will be reduced to begging for favour. Back to Victorian times we go....what a responsible government...but then I guess this was the plan all along and it's just coming to fruition. I wonder if the great unwashed realise yet how they have been taken for a ride what they have foisted on the rest of us through their ignorance and xenophobia. Sad times ahead as we watch the final plans for the privatisation of the NHS succeed.

All down to greed. Not only have Tesco always wanted to be 'top dog', they don't care what it costs and if that means chucking out a few thousand proles, they'll do it. Just as they did when they slung over a thousand Cardiff employees on the scrap heap......then gave the CEO a £2.4 million bonus with his £4.15 million salary.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/tesco-boss-slammed-over-1100-13357722

Not only do they treat their minion staff with disdain and contempt, it seems they apply the same attitude for it's customers too. Tesco banking recently got fined a whopping £16.4 million by the FCA for failing to exercise due skill, care and diligence in protecting its personal current account holders against a cyber attack which occurred in November 2016.

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/fca-fines-tesco-bank-failures-2016-cyber-attack

colin - 2019-01-28 10:30 AM

It would appear that Tesco have decided to be more like Aldi and Lidl, I'm guessing Sainsbury's will be considering doing the same to the Asda branded supermarkets.

The Lidl stores in my area are not good but Aldi ones are brilliant and i've used one regularly now for a few years. What i like is the checkouts are fast......superfast! Also none of the managers or supervisors sit hiding away from customers. They are out on the shop floor and it's not uncommon to see them helping stack shelves or man the checkouts.

The one i use is newly built and even it's carpark gets top marks from me. Sensible sized parking bays enabling cars to park and open doors to load shopping without bashing the car alongside.....something many supermarket carparks are notorious for.

Bulletguy - 2019-01-28 1:01 PM

It would appear that Tesco have decided to be more like Aldi and Lidl, I'm guessing Sainsbury's will be considering doing the same to the Asda branded supermarkets.

The Lidl stores in my area are not good but Aldi ones are brilliant and i've used one regularly now for a few years. What i like is the checkouts are fast......superfast! Also none of the managers or supervisors sit hiding away from customers. They are out on the shop floor and it's not uncommon to see them helping stack shelves or man the checkouts.

The one i use is newly built and even it's carpark gets top marks from me. Sensible sized parking bays enabling cars to park and open doors to load shopping without bashing the car alongside.....something many supermarket carparks are notorious for.

I dont generally go into Supermarkets much apart from Booths in Penrith but someone on FC tipped me off at Christmas that they had Leffe on offer in Aldi so when I eventually found one on the other side of Darlington (18 miles away) I went and had a look. It was no cheaper than Tescos or Morrisons Leffe but I did buy a load of other stuff. Some beer, wine, one or two other bits and pieces and a massive block of Stilton which "seemed" good value. All of it was absolute crap. I ended up chucking most of the Stilton out and the wine beer and wasnt much better.

Barryd999 - 2019-01-28 1:08 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-01-28 1:01 PM

I dont generally go into Supermarkets much apart from Booths in Penrith but someone on FC tipped me off at Christmas that they had Leffe on offer in Aldi so when I eventually found one on the other side of Darlington (18 miles away) I went and had a look. It was no cheaper than Tescos or Morrisons Leffe but I did buy a load of other stuff. Some beer, wine, one or two other bits and pieces and a massive block of Stilton which "seemed" good value. All of it was absolute crap. I ended up chucking most of the Stilton out and the wine beer and wasnt much better.

I use both Aldi and Morrison, the latter i was using long before Aldi. For the most part Aldi prices in general are lower (comparing like for like items), but Morrisons are now putting up a good fight though it's taken them time to wake up.

I don't buy beers here in UK but if i did i'd buy the Weißbier (wheat beer) which Aldi stock. I've bought mature cheshire from Aldi and that was very good particularly for toasting. Their packs of frozen petit pois are better than Birds Eye or any top brand, good flavour too. If you like Indian i'd definitely recommend the Tikka Masala 'ready meals' 450g pack. I buy those and stick a few in the freezer to use when having a lazy day to just bung in the micro.....but defrost them first, don't bung 'em in frozen. Another good Aldi buy is 800g packs of Southern Fried chicken thighs and drumsticks. Their oven ready chips aren't any good though.

Aldi do some strange things though. A couple of years back they stocked packs of breaded pork escalopes (in Germany it would be Wiener Schnitzel). Two per pack, generous size and damn good price. I love that and whenever in Germany, practically live on the stuff!! I'd buy half a dozen packs at a time to stick in the freezer. Then suddenly Aldi stopped selling them. No idea why as when i asked one of the checkout girls she told me lots of people had asked why they were no longer around.

Apart from the usual bins of diy tools, socket sets, etc, Aldi has a small electrical section well worth keeping an eye on. I bought my Garmin Camper 760 satnav for just £199....and Halfords price was £300. But anything on that section, Aldi drop the price until they've all gone and a few months after i'd bought mine someone posted on the mh section they''d just bought the same Garmin for £150 from Aldi!

According to the TV News it is 9000 not 15000 jobs and Tesco are alleged to have said that half of those employees (4500 for those unable to divide) would be reassigned other jobs.

4500 seems a long way from the pundits of gloom 15000 and if companies do not modernise to compete they will go out of business, as have so many of late, so look at it another way hundreds of thousands of jobs to be saved.

Tracker - 2019-01-28 7:34 PM

According to the TV News it is 9000 not 15000 jobs and Tesco are alleged to have said that half of those employees (4500 for those unable to divide) would be reassigned other jobs.

4500 seems a long way from the pundits of gloom 15000 and if companies do not modernise to compete they will go out of business, as have so many of late, so look at it another way hundreds of thousands of jobs to be saved.

Probably one of it's CEO's has had a re-think on taking his multi million pound bonus since yesterday. Not quite sure how you tell the Tyneside Tesco shelf stacker on 20 hours a week living in a bedsit they can redeploy to one of it's stores in London though. :-|

Still....it's only 4,500 on the scrap heap. :-(

Bulletguy - 2019-01-28 9:03 PM

Not quite sure how you tell the Tyneside Tesco shelf stacker on 20 hours a week living in a bedsit they can redeploy to one of it's stores in London though. :-|

Another typical Bull shout unsubstantiated remark - but don't worry we are getting used to them now and can dismiss them for the bull dung they are.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-28 9:03 PM

Tracker - 2019-01-28 7:34 PM

Probably one of it's CEO's has had a re-think on taking his multi million pound bonus since yesterday. Not quite sure how you tell the Tyneside Tesco shelf stacker on 20 hours a week living in a bedsit they can redeploy to one of it's stores in London though. :-|

Still....it's only 4,500 on the scrap heap. :-(

No need ;-) ..........There's plenty of jobs locally B-) .........

https://www.totaljobs.com/jobs/unskilled/in-tyneside_newcastle-upon-tyne?page=4

Archived