The Djokovic affair

Bulletguy

The business surrounding Novak Djokovic has caused something of an international stir with him not being vaccinated. Due to defend his title in Australian Open, their authorities Tennis Australia, granted him an exemption but on landing at the airport it's all gone pear shaped after he was refused entry and is now in quarantine as lawyers battle it out.

I was surprised that he hadn't had the vaccine but a relative told me he's vegan which she thinks may have something to do with his refusal to have it. Either way it seems their PM, Scott Morrison, should be directing his ire at his own countries tennis authorities!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-59920379

If this is correct, then it's multiple errors.

In court documents released on Saturday, Djokovic’s lawyers state that he had been granted a vaccine exemption by the Victorian state government and Tennis Australia, and also included a letter dated 1 January from Australia’s Department of Home Affairs – the agency that has detained him – indicating that he “met the requirements for a quarantine-free arrival”.

colin - 2022-01-08 6:57 PM

In court documents released on Saturday, Djokovic’s lawyers state that he had been granted a vaccine exemption by the Victorian state government and Tennis Australia, and also included a letter dated 1 January from Australia’s Department of Home Affairs – the agency that has detained him – indicating that he “met the requirements for a quarantine-free arrival”.

Blimey.....it's not a good look for Australian authorities. I was surprised at the exemption, that's just made it even worse! :-|

Bulletguy - 2022-01-08 7:24 PM

colin - 2022-01-08 6:57 PM

Blimey.....it's not a good look for Australian authorities. I was surprised at the exemption, that's just made it even worse! :-|

Not looking good for No Vax either

https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/08/novak-djokovic-pictured-awards-ceremony-day-after-positive-covid-result-tennis-15886566/

All theses decisions are $ based. Tennis Aust claims Djokovic is a crowd puller and if he is not allowed to play they will lose a serious amount of cash. The National Govt claims he did not obtain an exemption however the State Govt said he could come in. My friends in Frome (fully vaxed 3 jabs) are not allowed in so why should he be allowed. It seems to me that all the decisions re Covid by politicians are now based on $ (read economy) and not on medical grounds. In the last year or so our Government has put the Chinese & French offside so why not add the odd Serbian to the list.

Anyone for cricket!

Cheers,

Geeco - 2022-01-09 2:26 AM

All theses decisions are $ based. Tennis Aust claims Djokovic is a crowd puller and if he is not allowed to play they will lose a serious amount of cash.

Cheers,

Is it possible that the opposite could happen if he is allowed in to play.

Would thousands of Aussies, who have been restricted themselves from seeing relatives, boycott the games ?

:-|

All theses decisions are $ based. Tennis Aust claims Djokovic is a crowd puller and if he is not allowed to play they will lose a serious amount of cash. The National Govt claims he did not obtain an exemption however the State Govt said he could come in. My friends in Frome (fully vaxed 3 jabs) are not allowed in so why should he be allowed. It seems to me that all the decisions re Covid by politicians are now based on $ (read economy) and not on medical grounds. In the last year or so our Government has put the Chinese & French offside so why not add the odd Serbian to the list.

Anyone for cricket!

Cheers,

Hi Gary, yes you're right about it being $ based but as Colins post points out there appears to have been multiple errors made by the authorities. Maybe a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing as we sometimes say here! There certainly doesn't appear to have been good communication between each authority.

As Djokovic is there to defend his title plus as the worlds number 1 seed his matches generate vast amounts of $, quite what his reasons are for not being vaccinated I don't know other than what i've already mentioned.

Guest pelmetman

Anyone for cricket!

Cheers,

Djokovic is deffo odd ;-) ..........

But I guess being detached from reality comes with the territory of being treated as a hero in your own small tennis world :D ........

I doubt I will ever have that problem ;-) .........

On here (lol) (lol) (lol)

Paul, according to the Sydney newspaper I am reading at present the tide has turned against Djokovic. I suspect this has happened after images of him handing out awards to young Serbian tennis players two days after he confirmed he was not vaccinated. I am of the firm belief that vaccination is necessary and those that choose not to should have restricted movement. The whole affair is a bun fight full of people with self interest. Djokovic wants to win another world grand slam,( see any parallel with Sir L Hamilton), Tennis Aust wants to stop the cash drain, the Prime Minister is heading to an election in a few months and wants to be seen as being strong etc etc. All I see is ego & $ signs. Now I can finish my morning cuppa. Cheers,

Geeco - 2022-01-09 10:22 PM

Paul, according to the Sydney newspaper I am reading at present the tide has turned against Djokovic. I suspect this has happened after images of him handing out awards to young Serbian tennis players two days after he confirmed he was not vaccinated. I am of the firm belief that vaccination is necessary and those that choose not to should have restricted movement. The whole affair is a bun fight full of people with self interest. Djokovic wants to win another world grand slam,( see any parallel with Sir L Hamilton), Tennis Aust wants to stop the cash drain, the Prime Minister is heading to an election in a few months and wants to be seen as being strong etc etc. All I see is ego & $ signs. Now I can finish my morning cuppa. Cheers,

Yeah i've read reports on that here also Gary and don't know what to believe as some say Djokovic knew he had tested positive (at the time) whilst other reports say he didn't. Either way it's still too high risk imo. Both Djokovic and his wife had Covid pretty early on, but both are relatively young and more importantly, extremely fit. If he catches it again, which he can, he will be perfectly fine....but anyone a lot older and unfit won't be so fortunate.

Oh I know this is obviously money driven as we're talking mega dollars which will be lost.....not so much by Djokovic as he's already a multi millionaire. Defending his Australian title is more important to him than money but the money which will be lost by Tennis Australia will be horrendous. Yes I know Scott Morrison has the elections coming up so politics are playing a big part in it too. Our PM would do the same but he knows come election time he won't be PM and he's already shown he doesn't care. He got what he wanted which was the title of PM.......everything else goes by the wayside. The editor of the Telegraph who sacked him warned Brits "I was Boris Johnson’s boss: he is utterly unfit to be prime minister", but they didn't heed his advice.

Geeco - 2022-01-10 8:01 AM

BREAKING NEWS the $ won Djokovic allowed to stay. Cheers,

The whole episode has been really bizarre and sadly it's been hijacked by the far right with Nigel Farage jetting off to Belgrade to celebrate with Djokovic's family.

https://tinyurl.com/ym9cyvyt

But Andy Murray took a cracking swipe at hypocrite Farage with this tweet!

1274364485_AndyMurraytweet.JPG.95da07ae50dba109da53f29b354464fe.JPG

CurtainRaiser - 2022-01-10 10:20 PM

I'm puzzled. If I'm reading this correctly, he obviously had no intention of playing in the Australian Open until he tested positive for Covid on 16th December but then he thought I'll go and defend my title. What a stroke of luck...

Why would he "obviously have no intention of playing?" He had a title to defend plus if he wins it, it's another Grand slam.

Bulletguy - 2022-01-10 10:27 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2022-01-10 10:20 PM

I'm puzzled. If I'm reading this correctly, he obviously had no intention of playing in the Australian Open until he tested positive for Covid on 16th December but then he thought I'll go and defend my title. What a stroke of luck...

Why would he "obviously have no intention of playing?" He had a title to defend plus if he wins it, it's another Grand slam.

If he intended to attend then he would need to comply with Australian Australian covid regulations and be vaccinated. Imagine if he had not "caught " it on the 16th December? How could he claim to have antibodies due to infection just in time for the tournament?

The Govt has overruled the decision by the court. Djokovic is rumoured to be planning an appeal. You could not write a script like this. The main Sydney paper has three pages devoted to this topic.the whole saga Is a joke.

Cheers,

B1288203-D656-4BE4-90DA-A3366F56E796.thumb.jpeg.d840060ce934e2a1b637664932833453.jpeg

Geeco - 2022-01-15 5:03 AM

The Govt has overruled the decision by the court. Djokovic is rumoured to be planning an appeal. You could not write a script like this. The main Sydney paper has three pages devoted to this topic.the whole saga Is a joke.

Cheers,

I'm afraid it's the Australian government, and tennis authourities, that are looking a bit of a joke Gary.

He should never have got into Oz in the first place.

:-(

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2022-01-15 9:04 AM

Cheers,

I'm afraid it's the Australian government, and tennis authourities, that are looking a bit of a joke Gary.

My what a perfect world you preach from Malc ;-) .......

Life must be wondeful in Malcolm d...Land :D.......

(lol) (lol) (lol) .........

pelmetman - 2022-01-15 7:22 PM

malc d - 2022-01-15 9:04 AM

Cheers,

My what a perfect world you preach from Malc ;-) .......

Life must be wondeful in Malcolm d...Land :D.......

(lol) (lol) (lol) .........

Well I live the same country you do - you seem to think they are sunlit uplands - but never explain why.

p.s. Got a list of reasons yet ?

;-)

Archived