The Israel-Palestian Problem

StuartO

I noticed a comment or two sympathising with Palestinians on here recently and I don't remember us having a discussion about it, so why not?

I feel dispair that the tensions continue after so long and I don't see either Israeli or Palestinian politicians or activists or terrorists without fault in their approach and that's an understatement! But I don't see either side as being without just cause either. There does need to be a settlement which recognises that both have a right to a homeland which they can keep safe and to run it the way they want to, even if some people think there shouldn't be any exclusivity anywhere.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman

There is a certain religion that objects to the Jews having their homeland back ;-) ........

It's just another of those wonderful old age new age problems that will never be solved :-| ........

Kinda like white priviledge :D .........

pelmetman - 2020-06-26 9:49 AM

There is a certain religion that objects to the Jews having their homeland back ;-) ........

It's just another of those wonderful old age new age problems that will never be solved :-| ........

Kinda like white priviledge :D .........

The Jews did get their homeland, not sure if “back” is a useful description as half the world doesn’t believe in the Old Testament. Just chucking out the sitting Arabs was a recipe for disaster.

StuartO - 2020-06-26 9:33 AM

I noticed a comment or two sympathising with Palestinians on here recently and I don't remember us having a discussion about it, so why not?

I feel dispair that the tensions continue after so long and I don't see either Israeli or Palestinian politicians or activists or terrorists without fault in their approach and that's an understatement! But I don't see either side as being without just cause either. There does need to be a settlement which recognises that both have a right to a homeland which they can keep safe and to run it the way they want to, even if some people think there shouldn't be any exclusivity anywhere.

I’ve brought up the Palestinian subjugation quite a few times to high light the discrepancy in people’s view of discrimination. A lot is said about Anti semitism to the point where any criticism of Israel is shouted down as antisemetic .

America funds and now encourages partition and annexation of Palestinians land ,Israel operates an Apartheid system.

Putting aside The terriorism from both side there need to be more humane and tolerant approach.

jumpstart - 2020-06-26 AM I’ve brought up the Palestinian subjugation quite a few times .......

Wouldn’t that make you the ideal person to show balance by explaining which bits of the complex history and stand-off tell us tell us that the Israelis have a point?

jumpstart - 2020-06-26 11:06 AM

I’ve brought up the Palestinian subjugation quite a few times to high light the discrepancy in people’s view of discrimination. A lot is said about Anti semitism to the point where any criticism of Israel is shouted down as antisemetic .

America funds and now encourages partition and annexation of Palestinians land ,Israel operates an Apartheid system.

Putting aside The terriorism from both side there need to be more humane and tolerant approach.

Yes, the policy of Israel challenging any and every criticism as being 'anti-semetic' seems to have been adopted by other people to deflect criticism and smooth the path towards positive discrimination. The BLM and WLM issue for instance.

For me, the act of forcibly establishing an Israeli homeland by displacing settled Palestinians was always going to cause ongoing problems and disputes. Israel have compounded this by expanding beyond the boundaries assigned to them and ignoring UN Resolutions to restore these areas to Palestinians. Until the Israelis comply with the UN Resolutions they cannot really expect wider support and this causes security issues for the Western powers who are seen to be acting in the Israeli's favour.

Nicepix - 2020-06-26 12:06 PM

Yes, the policy of Israel challenging any and every criticism as being 'anti-semetic' seems to have been adopted by other people to deflect criticism and smooth the path towards positive discrimination. The BLM and WLM issue for instance.

For me, the act of forcibly establishing an Israeli homeland by displacing settled Palestinians was always going to cause ongoing problems and disputes. Israel have compounded this by expanding beyond the boundaries assigned to them and ignoring UN Resolutions to restore these areas to Palestinians. Until the Israelis comply with the UN Resolutions they cannot really expect wider support and this causes security issues for the Western powers who are seen to be acting in the Israeli's favour.

This is the bit I dont get. Are you simply not allowed to criticise Israel as it does seem anyone that does is called out as being a racist.

Barryd999 - 2020-06-26 12:43 PM

This is the bit I dont get. Are you simply not allowed to criticise Israel as it does seem anyone that does is called out as being a racist.

Not racist but 'antisemitic'. Some US Republican states have gone down that route over anyone criticising Israel about anything; https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/11/donald-trump-antisemitism-israel-colleges-order

It's becoming that way here with some pretty weird extremes and here's just one example. Angela Epstein, a Jewish freelance broadcaster and journalist, made a bit of a to-do when Corbyn and Johnson were discussing the Prince Andrew connection with Jeffrey Epstein and Corbyn pronounced his surname as EpsTINE. Angela Epstein took exception to this which she saw as 'antisemitic' saying the correct pronunciation is EpsTEEN.

The only other Epstein i know of was The Beatles manager, Brian Epstein, and i've never heard his surname pronounced as EpSTEEN. A slightly different spelling though similar surname, and Jewish....Albert Einstein. German born Jew. Has anyone ever heard his surname pronounced as EinSTEEN? To me it's always been EinSTINE.

I think there is supposed to be a distinction between "antisemitic" and "anti-Zionist" which is opposition to the is the nationalist movement of the Jewish people that espouses the re-establishment of and support for a Jewish state in the territory defined as the historic Land of Israel (roughly corresponding to Canaan, the Holy Land, or the region of Palestine). Anti-zionism is politics, anti-semitic views are seen as racist.

Israel has a population of almost 10 million, 75% jewish, 20% muslim and 5% other.

Bulletguy - 2020-06-26 1:47 PM

Not racist but 'antisemitic'. Some US Republican states have gone down that route over anyone criticising Israel about anything; https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/11/donald-trump-antisemitism-israel-colleges-order

It's becoming that way here with some pretty weird extremes and here's just one example. Angela Epstein, a Jewish freelance broadcaster and journalist, made a bit of a to-do when Corbyn and Johnson were discussing the Prince Andrew connection with Jeffrey Epstein and Corbyn pronounced his surname as EpsTINE. Angela Epstein took exception to this which she saw as 'antisemitic' saying the correct pronunciation is EpsTEEN.

The only other Epstein i know of was The Beatles manager, Brian Epstein, and i've never heard his surname pronounced as EpSTEEN. A slightly different spelling though similar surname, and Jewish....Albert Einstein. German born Jew. Has anyone ever heard his surname pronounced as EinSTEEN? To me it's always been EinSTINE.

Ah right. I see, except I dont. Mr Birdbrain said that Rebecca Long Bailey was racist on another thread because some actor reckoned the Israeli special forces had taught someone to kill people or something like that but he couldnt explain why she was racist. So is being antisemitic just criticising people from Israel then and not actually being racist?

Barryd999 - 2020-06-26 2:02 PM Ah right. I see, except I dont. Mr Birdbrain said that Rebecca Long Bailey was racist on another thread because some actor reckoned the Israeli special forces had taught someone to kill people or something like that but he couldnt explain why she was racist. So is being antisemitic just criticising people from Israel then and not actually being racist?

See my explanation above.

Anti-zionist expressions often get close to being racist in motivation or implication. Sir Kier obviously thought this one was, or maybe he was looking for an opportunity to sack her anyway.

Barryd999 - 2020-06-26 1:43 PM

It is in my opinion an organised defence against any criticism of Israeli policies. Unfortunately the whole Israel issue is being championed by the likes of the BBC re-writing history. For example the programs about WW2 made by and for the BBC seem to portray the whole thing as being Nazis .v. Jews with little or no mention of the annexing of whole countries or the other atrocities such as the genocides against Russians and Chinese by the Germans and Japanese.

The way that anti-Semitism has been used as a weapon of defence is now being used by the champions of all types of -isms to deflect negative comments whether thy are true or not leading to positive discrimination against the non -isms. The recent WLM banner investigation being a classic case.

The crux of the problem is that neither side actually want to get together to sort it out. Israel is too far down the line of settlements on Palestinian’s land to turn back and the Palestinians don’t want to give up ideals such as where they have their capital.

America is too far down the path of being controlled by the Jewish element in government to put a hold on anything Israel does,in fact funds it and encourages it.

Barryd999 - 2020-06-26 2:02 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-06-26 1:47 PM

Ah right. I see, except I dont. Mr Birdbrain said that Rebecca Long Bailey was racist on another thread because some actor reckoned the Israeli special forces had taught someone to kill people or something like that but he couldnt explain why she was racist. So is being antisemitic just criticising people from Israel then and not actually being racist?

My post was in relation to the question you asked. Whatever Antony said on another thread i don't know but it does appear at least some US police from certain states have been trained in Israel.

https://progressive.org/dispatches/us-police-trained-by-israel-communities-of-color-paying-price-shahshahani-cohen-191007/

Guest pelmetman

Blimey 8-) .........

A Sensible discussion on Chatterbox :D .........

There's hope for the world yet B-) ........

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-06-26 4:20 PM

Without armed struggle,nothing is likely to change.

https://apple.news/AGDMMu6ZIS8C6C_scbAvDOQ

How very Viking, Roman, Saxon, Norman, etc etc *-) .......

Seems to me the Palestians need to get on with the new normal :-| .......

We have and are having to do again ;-) ........

White priviledge is a bitch 8-) .........

pelmetman - 2020-06-26 4:26 PM

I have absolutely no idea what all that means.

Guest pelmetman
Nicepix - 2020-06-26 4:44 PM

I don't think that he does either.

Lets be honest Frank ;-) .......You never did :D .......

BTW....How's the camera game going? :-> ........

Just asking........

As I need a new cheapo camera..... mine has had black specs in the lenze since I lent it to our chimney sweep a few years ago *-) ........

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-06-26 4:32 PM

It means you, like a lot of folk either know nothing of Britains history ;-) ........

Or for polictical bandwagon purposes you prefer to ignore it *-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-06-26 4:57 PM

Christ the Palestinian refugee.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/remember-christ-palestinian-refugee-181224101728798.html

Christ!......You'll be telling me next he was a Muslim :D .......

Pssst the Koran woz wrote several undred years after he was dead ;-) ......

Just sayin as a Infidel (lol) (lol) (lol) ........

pelmetman - 2020-06-26 5:57 PM

jumpstart - 2020-06-26 4:32 PM

It means you, like a lot of folk either know nothing of Britains history ;-) ........

Or for polictical bandwagon purposes you prefer to ignore it *-) ..........

I would be interested in receiving a history lesson on how Britain's history mirrors the Israel - Palestine situation.

Archived