The Loathsome Kay Burley and the backlash against journalists

StuartO

I haven't enjoyed watching Kay Burley on Sky News for quite some time because of her aggressive, waspish approach to interviewing and as often as not an overtly partisan approach to topics as well. She had faced complaints and demands that Sky replace her and even a petition for her removal which attracted support from over 65,000 people - but she survived.  So when she's on Sky News in the mornings I invariably switch over the the BBC.

This morning the TV in the bedroom was on Sky News as it came on and she was in the middle of interviewing a the Secretary of State for the Envirnoment, weighing into him for failing in this, that and every way she could think of, like a cross examining barrister firing machine gun bullets, giving no time to answer before she fired anther shot.  The Environment Secretary didn't lose his rag, which was remarkable in the circumstances and he dealt with her questions as best he could, short of blaming the wayward public, which in some cases he clearly could have done.  It was the Government's fault that the deaths in care homes were increasing and that public were getting fed up of the lockdown and breaking the rules in increasing numbers, and could he please guarantee that 100,000 people would be tested tomorrow, on the last day of the month as promised - not merely provide testing capacity of 100,000 but 100,000 people actually tested, as she interpreted Matt Hancock's undertaking.  It was a real hatchet job and not any sort of enquiry, let alone a courteous one.  I  switched the TV off.

A backlash from the public against journalists has been reported because the majority of the public can see the Government are doing their best and they are trying to rally round and make it all work.  The public at large do not seem to me to support those who are breaking the rules - nor it seems do they support journalists who are setting out to criticise overtly aggressively at a time of national emergency.  Journalists have responded by claiming they are just doing what they see as their job - of questionning and challenging, as they would do whichever Party was in government.  Clearly they consider themselves to be entitled to do so and to have no obligation to support the national effort in any way.

Kay Burley is, to me, the epitome of a bad journalist getting it badly wrong.  What do you think?

Not watched her or that interview but I think your right that great swathes of the public are angry at journalists questioning the government but for many I suspect its their way of putting their fingers in their ears and going La La La. I guess if I had voted for them I might be feeling a bit like WTF have I done right now. A lot of people voted Tory for the first time in December and put their faith in the serial liar Johnson. Im sure they did not expect to be regretting that decision quite so quickly. As they are so heavily invested, it must be painful to find out what they are really like so the natural reaction is to defend your investment. How long people can keep convincing themselves they are doing a good job I dont know.

But Kay Burley's criticisms aren't good ones, she's just lashing out with over-simplistic challenges every way she can to try and beat the interviewee, as if it was a gladitorial contest.

And whether the public are getting p*ssed off with Boris as a serial liar yet I somehow doubt.  Clearly he has told lies (and his personal life is discreditable too) but he's also built a lot of credibility since he became PM by handling those daily briefings well - and even by getting COVID-19 himself and ending up in intensive care.

StuartO - 2020-04-29 10:08 AM
But Kay Burley's criticisms aren't good ones, she's just lashing out with over-simplistic challenges every way she can to try and beat the interviewee, as if it was a gladitorial contest.

And whether the public are getting p*ssed off with Boris as a serial liar yet I somehow doubt.  Clearly he has told lies (and his personal life is discreditable too) but he's also built a lot of credibility since he became PM by handling those daily briefings well - and even by getting COVID-19 himself and ending up in intensive care.

You think he handled them well by playing it all down, boasting about shaking hands in hospitals, not shutting the pubs until after a last Friday night booze up, just asking people nicely to stay at home and then surprise surprise getting Covid 19? 8-) Wow.

I think our present Government have shown that they got their act together early on as far as handling journalists is concerned and I suspect there was a strict party style decided upon and then team training was given.  They were too consistent for it to be otherwise. 

They have all remained scrupulously polite (even with the likes of Kay Burley virtually throwing a tantrum at them) and answered carefully and skillfully (including evasively when necessary of course) so that the journalists who have behaved aggressively have ended up suffering reputational damage, eg the public backlash.  So far so good.  The backlash has been helpful.

I don't recall threatenning to have any journalists beaten up and my remark about sending Norman Tebbit round to have a chat with the unhelpfully gobby Tory Grandees and Yesterday's Men we've been hearing from was tongue in cheek.

There are many concerns about Bojo's past conduct but he's the PM, we're in a national crisis and I think he's doing OK since he became PM.  Time to do the post mortem after the virus has been dealt with; for now let's concentrate on the job in hand.

Barryd999 - 2020-04-29 9:52 AM

Not watched her or that interview but I think your right that great swathes of the public are angry at journalists questioning the government but for many I suspect its their way of putting their fingers in their ears and going La La La. I guess if I had voted for them I might be feeling a bit like WTF have I done right now. A lot of people voted Tory for the first time in December and put their faith in the serial liar Johnson. Im sure they did not expect to be regretting that decision quite so quickly. As they are so heavily invested, it must be painful to find out what they are really like so the natural reaction is to defend your investment. How long people can keep convincing themselves they are doing a good job I dont know.

They wanted a Brexiter PM to take them to those sunlit uplands at any cost so will continue to defend no matter how many cock ups he and his government make.

I know what you mean.

Like when people have been conned into buying something useless

They will keep pretending its alright, even when everyone can see that it isn't, because they don't want to believe or admit they have been conned

John52 - 2020-04-29 7:53 PM

I know what you mean.

They will keep pretending its alright, even when everyone can see that it isn't, because they don't want to believe or admit they have been conned

Yeah - Like Plumbers Mait for use as a sealant :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

globebuster - 2020-04-29 9:25 PM

I know what you mean.

Doh! Set myself up for that one, didn't I (lol)

But of all the things I've sealed with Plumber's Mait, AFAIK nothing has leaked yet. :-D

Which is more than can be said for some of the original equipment stuff it replaced

John52 - 2020-04-29 5:03 PM
StuartO - 2020-04-29 1:42 PM I think BoJo's doing OK since he became PM. 
Well that makes about as much sense as the rest of your posts *-)

That you cannot make sense of my opinions does not means they aren't opinions which I'm entitled to express.  I think they are pretty rational too.  I suggest you just mean that you can't agree, which does not surprise me one little bit. 

John52 - 2020-04-30 5:27 AM

globebuster - 2020-04-29 9:25 PM

I know what you mean.

Doh! Set myself up for that one, didn't I (lol)

But of all the things I've sealed with Plumber's Mait, AFAIK nothing has leaked yet. :-D

Which is more than can be said for some of the original equipment stuff it replaced

You set yourself up every day.......

See what I mean - you STILL have to defend your actions with bloody Plumbers Mait, and still bang on about it!

Why? - Because you are obsessed by thinking everything you say is right, whatever the subject.

The reality is you don't seem capable of a rational thought process...........or respecting the opinion of others.

StuartO - 2020-04-30 9:00 AM

That you cannot make sense of my opinions does not means they aren't opinions which I'm entitled to express.  I think they are pretty rational too.  I suggest you just mean that you can't agree, which does not surprise me one little bit. 

The Clown advising us how to avoid Covid19 caught it himself, and you call that 'doing ok' *-)

John52 - 2020-04-30 12:25 PM
StuartO - 2020-04-30 9:00 AM

The Clown advising us how to avoid Covid19 caught it himself, and you call that 'doing ok' *-)
Talking of clowns - you seem to be the undisputed king of them 52 :-D :-D :-D :-D Sadly, you're not that amusing though........

John52 - 2020-04-30 12:22 PM

globebuster - 2020-04-30 10:41 AM

See what I mean - you STILL have to defend your actions with bloody Plumbers Mait, and still bang on about it!

I did not - until you raised the subject again.

I bet Plumbers Mait won't work in keeping your mouth shut for any length of time - maybe you could try a spoonful or 10 and test your theory......I do hope the results are positive

• 2 weeks later...
StuartO - 2020-04-29 9:33 AM Kay Burley is, to me, the epitome of a bad journalist getting it badly wrong.  What do you think?

Well, she certainly got it wrong this morning when, in answer to a quiz question, she said that the UK had a Conservative government in WW2.( Mind you, the " quizmaster " said she was right - maybe they went to the same school ). ;-)

malc d - 2020-05-13 11:42 AM
StuartO - 2020-04-29 9:33 AM Kay Burley is, to me, the epitome of a bad journalist getting it badly wrong.  What do you think?

Well, she certainly got it wrong this morning when, in answer to a quiz question, she said that the UK had a Conservative government in WW2.( Mind you, the " quizmaster " said she was right - maybe they went to the same school ). ;-)Debatable I supposeI think it was supposed to be a coalition, but with Churchill in charge and the slavish support of the media, it was effectively ToryBy the end of the war Churchill finally realised Stalin was worse than Hitler, and Churchill wanted us to join the Germans in fighting Stalin. But, like BoJo, Churchill had the slavish support of the media who presented it differently.

So the leaders of Scotland, Wales, and N Ireland, including the right wingers, are all distancing themselves from BoJo's handling of Covid-19.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/13/arlene-foster-politically-distancing-boris-johnson-coronavirus

They can all see the mess he is making, even if some of you lot can't

I guess BoJo is going to have to bung us even more English money to bribe us not to vote for the Nationalists, and maintain his empire at your expense.

Nicola Sturgeon is far more respected up here than him, and would win hands down in a straight vote, but he is dishing out your money to maintain his empire.

I can't understand why you are not angry about this ?

John52 - 2020-05-14 5:32 AM

So the leaders of Scotland, Wales, and N Ireland, including the right wingers, are all distancing themselves from BoJo's handling of Covid-19.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/13/arlene-foster-politically-distancing-boris-johnson-coronavirus

They can all see the mess he is making, even if some of you lot can't

I guess BoJo is going to have to bung us even more English money to bribe us not to vote for the Nationalists, and maintain his empire at your expense.

Nicola Sturgeon is far more respected up here than him, and would win hands down in a straight vote, but he is dishing out your money to maintain his empire.

I can't understand why you are not angry about this ?

zzzzzzzzzzzz ... ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZ .... Yawn

Archived