The Northern Powerhouse?

CurtainRaiser

"How long could you cope without electricity, dear reader? And how many days could you endure without running water? Imagine your home was without power or water for four or even five days. What would you expect to happen? How do you think your country and your government would respond to your plight? There’d be a bit of a fuss, right?

I mean, this is an advanced industrialised economy where we have, quite reasonably, come to take the supply of basic utilities as a given. If thousands of people were left without power, heat and water -- and in winter too – for the better part of a week, it would be a deal, wouldn’t it?

Actually, no. Not if those people were somewhere in the north of England. In that case, most of the country would barely notice, much less care. As of late on Tuesday night, tens of thousands of people in north Northumberland were still without electricity, after a power cut that began last Friday when Storm Arwen blew through the county with winds nearing 100mph. A fair few of them also still had no running water.

Four days, I suggest, is quite a long time to go without light and, in some cases, heat. Here I must declare an interest: members of my family are among those who have been worst affected, though their lights came back on during Tuesday.

By local standards, they’re fortunate. Around 20,000 homes were still without electricity last night, according to the local MP, Anne-Marie Trevelyan. She gave that estimate based on information she got from Northern Powergrid (NPG), the company that operates local electricity networks. Ordinary members of the public – or at least, the ones with the ability to communicate with the company – have found it rather harder to get such information.

NPG, incidentally, is mostly owned by Berkshire Hathaway Energy, part of the investment empire of Warren Buffett, one of the world’s richest men. The business is regulated by Ofgem, the energy regulator, which sets limits on what distribution companies can spend on their networks. In its 2018/19 annual report, NPG – owned by a man worth $100 billion (£75 billion) – reported that it had underspent on its allowance by £104 million, or six per cent. The company said at the time that that the money would still be spent, in later years. I wonder if spending it a little earlier would have meant that fewer Northumbrians went to bed cold again last night?

Perhaps such questions will be asked and answered properly in due course, but neither I nor many in Northumberland will be holding our breath for that. Because the main lesson of Northumberland’s Storm Arwen ordeal is that no-one really cares about the place.

I understand that there is a lot else going on in the country this week: Omicron and its effect on Christmas is clearly consuming much attention. And I know it’s a small place, far away, about which we know little. But the fact that the situation in Northumberland is almost unknown to people beyond the north-east still strikes me as notable, and telling.

One thing it confirms is that the UK media as a whole has retreated, badly, from regional and local coverage. When journalists generate 'content' by sitting at a desk and staring at Twitter all day, it’s too easy to miss significant events in the boring old non-online world. Especially the rural bits of it.

As for politics, this has barely registered. Rich Holden, the MP for North Durham creditably raised a point of order in the Commons on Tuesday, but that’s not something that requires a ministerial answer. In response Speaker Lindsay Hoyle all but encouraged MPs to put down an urgent question that would allow him to summon a minister; hopefully that will happen soon.

In this context though, you’ll understand why people from the most northerly bit of England tend to a bit sceptical of promises to 'level up' the country. Many of them would be pleasantly surprised if those fine words just meant a few potholes got fixed. And let’s not even talk about widening the A1 all the way to Scotland – after all, it’s only been 29 years since a government first promised that, and we can’t rush these things, can we?

Some people in Northumberland wonder what would have happened if thousands of people in North Dorset or Norfolk or -- imagine it – North London had been cut off without power and water for four days and more. Would the Armed Forces have been mobilised? Would ministers have rushed to speak in Parliament? Is it remotely conceivable that such a situation could have gone almost entirely unnoticed in the imperial capital, London?

Yet that is what has happened these past few days in the place I still consider home. Northumberland, especially in its northern reaches, has always felt remote, somewhat cut off from the rest of the country. That’s generally no bad thing, and often a source of happiness. But rarely has that distance felt greater than in these recent, dark days."

WRITTEN BY

James Kirkup

James Kirkup is director of the Social Market Foundation and a former political editor of the Scotsman and the Daily Telegraph.

The situation in the north is at least one thing that can not be blamed on any particular political party. It has always been Westminster policy to invest in the south and allow the north to decline.

It will be interesting to see if any changes to policy will be made in view of ' climate change ' commitments.

If the government has any hope of meeting it's commitments to reduce emissions, they will need to sell electric vehicles ' up north ' -

so It would be interesting to hear how electric car salesmen are getting on up there at the moment.

Strangely, as far as I know, no -one from the media has asked any EV owner how they are coping.

:-|

malc d - 2021-12-03 10:19 AM

The situation in the north is at least one thing that can not be blamed on any particular political party. It has always been Westminster policy to invest in the south and allow the north to decline.

It will be interesting to see if any changes to policy will be made in view of ' climate change ' commitments.

If the government has any hope of meeting it's commitments to reduce emissions, they will need to sell electric vehicles ' up north ' -

so It would be interesting to hear how electric car salesmen are getting on up there at the moment.

Strangely, as far as I know, no -one from the media has asked any EV owner how they are coping.

?

The article is about people not having power to their homes for three weeks, no heat, power or water. Not EVs.

This has happened because a once nationalised utility, now owned by a American company has failed to invest in its infrastructure for years paying out dividends to shareholders instead.

All the storm did was snap already rotten poles and towers.

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-03 9:57 AM

"How long could you cope without electricity, dear reader? And how many days could you endure without running water? Imagine your home was without power or water for four or even five days. What would you expect to happen? How do you think your country and your government would respond to your plight? There’d be a bit of a fuss, right?

WRITTEN BY

James Kirkup

James Kirkup is director of the Social Market Foundation and a former political editor of the Scotsman and the Daily Telegraph.

Woora Lefty Twerp Mr Kirkup is *-) ............

But then again I've yet to meet a Lefty that isn't a Twerp (lol) (lol) (lol)...........

pelmetman - 2021-12-03 10:46 AM

WRITTEN BY

James Kirkup

But then again I've yet to meet a Lefty that isn't a Twerp (lol) (lol) (lol)...........

It was in the Spectator, only someone reading far right stuff could view him as a lefty.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-03 10:38 AM

?

The article is about people not having power to their homes for three weeks, no heat, power or water. Not EVs.

Precisely my point. EV's run on electricity.

The government can no longer afford to ignore the north if they want to meet their climate change targets.

The fact that the people up there cannot heat their homes, or boil a kettle, has no effect on government plans - so they have no urgent interest in doing anything about the power cuts.

malc d - 2021-12-03 11:38 AM

?

Precisely my point. EV's run on electricity.

The government can no longer afford to ignore the north if they want to meet their climate change targets.

The fact that the people up there cannot heat their homes, or boil a kettle, has no effect on government plans - so they have no urgent interest in doing anything about the power cuts.

I would disagree with that last bit. The Northern Monkeys are revolting! (lol) The government need to remember that they gained a lot of first time Tory voters in 2019 and I have watched with a slightly raised eyebrow how some of those new northern Tory MPs have gone from hero to zero. Gone are the days where their facebook posts were alive with fawning admiration for all the false promises these new MPs made.

I missed the storm completely. On Friday night I spend the evening belting out and recording rock music while putting a hole in the Scotch until the lights went out about midnight and then I woke up and it was all over. :D Luckily our power was only off for less than 24 hours but there has been some real suffering up in the upper dales. I think some are still without power.

That would depend on what EV and charger they have, and how charged up it was before the storm damage.

If they had oil/gas/solid fuel CH and a vehicle with large batteries and V2H, they could run lighting, freezers, and heating from the car for several days, in fact for us this would be one of the attractions of a BEV, couple it with the MH and we could laughing in a power cut.

?

This has happened because a once nationalised utility, now owned by a American company has failed to invest in its infrastructure for years paying out dividends to shareholders instead.

I've followed various news reports on this and have to admit I find it staggering. It's what i'd expect from a third world country where infrastructure is poor.

To be without power, heat, and water for three weeks is unforgiveable.

Back in 1987 a large swathe of Southern England was hit by a severe storm. Gusts of up to 120mph were recorded, and it was reported that an anemometer on a Brighton roof broke recording 130mph. Much damage was done to woodlands and buildings from Cornwall to Kent, and well to the north of London. 18 people were killed, roads and rail lines closed, and emergency services seriously disrupted. Power networks were seriously damaged, including the national grid. The aftermath, it terms of reinstating more or less working transport links lasted for over three weeks, and repairs to damaged buildings, due to their extent and available local labour, took years to complete. So too did the clearance, and trimming up, of the thousands of fallen and damaged trees and shrubs.

So, we have been there before.

At the time of the storm electricity was still generated, distributed, and delivered to consumers, by nationalised companies. These had been formed under the 1947 Electricity Act to consolidate the UK's unsatisfactorily fragmented electricity supply. The Central Electricity Generating Board was responsible for all electricity generation and the distribution grid supplying the 15 area electricity boards which in turn supplied consumers. It was therefore able to mobilise labour from across the country to repair the grid, while the area boards were able to bring in additional labour from less affected parts of the country to assist the worst affected local boards clear up and reinstate supplies. The urgency was amplified by the area affected being the most densely populated part of the country, housing, among others, the bulk of London commuters.

In 1990 the electricity industry was privatised and in the process again became fragmented, although not to the same degree as befor 1947.

So, fast forward to 2021. Our area is supplied by UK Power networks. A company I expect few of you will have heard of. So who they?

They grew from the original area board, the South Eastern Electricity Board (SEEB), whose assets they acquired, as "SEEBOARD", after the 1990 privatisations. The SEEB had been created in 1948 when the UK electric market was nationalised under the Electricity Act 1947. The new SEEBOARD was responsible for the electricity distribution network across the South East of England.

In 1996, SEEBOARD was taken over by the American company, Central & South West Corporation, which merged with American Electric Power (AEP) in 2000.

In 2002, SEEBOARD was purchased by LE Group from AEP. LE Group already owned the Eastern Electricity distribution business, and later purchased the SWEB Energy distribution network. The ambition of the company was to benefit from economies of scale by owning neighbouring distribution networks.

LE Group was owned by EDF (Electricité de France) and its assets were re-branded EDF Energy in 2002. EDF had gained a foothold in the UK energy market when it purchased London Electricity in 1998. EDF is wholly owned by the French state.

In 2010, EDF Energy sold off all its energy distribution networks to the Hong Kong group, Cheung Kong Group. The new owners re-branded the distribution network as UK Power Networks, and continue to operate the former SEEBOARD, SWEB, and Eastern Electricity distribution networks.

So, the company set up after privatisation was first sold to the Americans, who in turn sold it to other Americans, who in turn sold it back to another privatised UK ex area board - owned by the French government - who in turn sold it to a Hong Kong based company. It is now, after several more changes of ownership, under the umbrella of CK Asset Holdings Ltd, registered in the Cayman Islands, which forms part of the Hong King stock exchange's Hang Seng Index.

So, simple question. Who has really benefited from this privatisation, and where do UK Power Networks profits now go?

colin - 2021-12-03 3:30 PM

That would depend on what EV and charger they have, and how charged up it was before the storm damage.

If they had oil/gas/solid fuel CH and a vehicle with large batteries and V2H, they could run lighting, freezers, and heating from the car for several days, in fact for us this would be one of the attractions of a BEV, couple it with the MH and we could laughing in a power cut.

I've just been doing some calcs, if I had a base model Tesla 3, then it would be quite feasible to power our house, including cooking, indefinably by driving to any working charging point within 25 miles (50 at a push) every couple of days. With the long range model it should be possible to power a house which relies on heat exchangers.

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-03 11:04 AM

pelmetman - 2021-12-03 10:46 AM

WRITTEN BY

James Kirkup

It was in the Spectator, only someone reading far right stuff could view him as a lefty.

You're a Corbynite ;-) ..........It's not possible to get any further Left >:-) ..........So everyone is to the Right of you (lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

Brian Kirby - 2021-12-03 6:09 PM

Back in 1987 a large swathe of Southern England was hit by a severe storm. Gusts of up to 120mph were recorded, and it was reported that an anemometer on a Brighton roof broke recording 130mph. Much damage was done to woodlands and buildings from Cornwall to Kent, and well to the north of London. 18 people were killed, roads and rail lines closed, and emergency services seriously disrupted. Power networks were seriously damaged, including the national grid. The aftermath, it terms of reinstating more or less working transport links lasted for over three weeks, and repairs to damaged buildings, due to their extent and available local labour, took years to complete. So too did the clearance, and trimming up, of the thousands of fallen and damaged trees and shrubs.

My sister remembers it very well......it uprooted a massive oak tree which went straight through their roof!

So, the company set up after privatisation was first sold to the Americans, who in turn sold it to other Americans, who in turn sold it back to another privatised UK ex area board - owned by the French government - who in turn sold it to a Hong Kong based company. It is now, after several more changes of ownership, under the umbrella of CK Asset Holdings Ltd, registered in the Cayman Islands, which forms part of the Hong King stock exchange's Hang Seng Index.

So, simple question. Who has really benefited from this privatisation....

Currently it would appear to be CK Asset Holdings Ltd as they're not paying tax.

......and where do UK Power Networks profits now go?

The owners are all HK so at a guess, they end up there.

I'm with Scottish Power and ironically had no power cuts! They are fairly common in my area, mostly 10 or 15 minutes, but the longest i've been without power was three hours which wasn't so bad as it occurred during summer.

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2021-12-03 6:13 PM

I've just been doing some calcs, if I had a base model Tesla 3, then it would be quite feasible to power our house, including cooking, indefinably by driving to any working charging point within 25 miles (50 at a push) every couple of days. With the long range model it should be possible to power a house which relies on heat exchangers.

But how much would a base model Noddy car cost 50k?............We have tried to future proof our house for us by installing mains gas and a log burner for a lot less than 50k ;-) ..............We looked at solar and heat pumps etc etc......but when we did the cost compared to return over 20 years they didn't add up :-| ...........

Plus I can BBQ in the log burner we have chosen in the winter B-) .............

https://www.esse.com/the-ironheart-range/bakeheart/

Try that on your Twendy Wendy heat pump (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-12-03 7:15 PM

But how much would a base model Noddy car cost 50k?............We have tried to future proof our house for us by installing mains gas and a log burner for a lot less than 50k ;-) ..............We looked at solar and heat pumps etc etc......but when we did the cost compared to return over 20 years they didn't add up :-| ...........

I'm sat here in front of my multi fuel stove nice and cozy. The plain fact is being reliant on gas and oil is not good for the countries security.

If Putin restricts the supply to the EU, then you can bet they will help out each other as best they can, this will leave the UK in deep s**t, we need a resilient power supply where other countries can't turn off the supply on a whim, so maybe more joined up thinking on renewables and nuclear.

Up till recently replacing mains gas with a heat pump didn't make any economic sense, not sure if it will in the near future, fitting such systems from the outset when new houses are built makes much more sence.

colin - 2021-12-03 8:36 PM

I'm sat here in front of my multi fuel stove nice and cozy. The plain fact is being reliant on gas and oil is not good for the countries security.

Up till recently replacing mains gas with a heat pump didn't make any economic sense, not sure if it will in the near future, fitting such systems from the outset when new houses are built makes much more sence.

There was a lady, up north somewhere, on the TV the other night who had decided to " do the right thing " for the planet and got rid of her gas heating.

She replaced it with a heat pump - and has been without any heating for the last few days because the operation of the heat pump relies on electricity.

malc d - 2021-12-03 10:18 PM

colin - 2021-12-03 8:36 PM

There was a lady, up north somewhere, on the TV the other night who had decided to " do the right thing " for the planet and got rid of her gas heating.

She replaced it with a heat pump - and has been without any heating for the last few days because the operation of the heat pump relies on electricity.

So does gas and oil CH, with no electric the pumps don't work.

I saw another who was sitting in front of her log burner complaining, "I heat what I can with this", unless I'm missing something, that's perfectly OK for many of us.

Archived