The Right to keep chucking spanners in the works

StuartO

The backlash against Boris's attempt to bring Brexit to conclusion seems to be based on opposition (and some Tory) MP's perceived democractic right to keep arguing and chucking spanners in the works indefinitly. People see democractic rights in terms of a personal right to argue and argue, which of course means that nothing can ever get settled.

I don't recognise any democratic right to keep on interfering, once a valid democratic decision has been made. You can argue, as they do, that one side or the other told lies (and probably both did) or that the Referendum didn't include agreeing to a No Deal Exit (it didn't specify any sort of exit) but you have no right to block progress.

I voted Remain but I think Brexit should go ahead because that was the result of the Referendum. If MPs continue to insist on blocking Brexit simply because they don't like No Deal we need to get rid of them and a General Election is the way forward. Let the Opposition bring a Vote of No Confidence and if they win (which I suspect they won't) then let's have a short extension of Article 50 if necessary and then a General Election.

Guest pelmetman

You do realize Stuart? 8-) .............

That according to the Barry & Bullet propaganda show.......It's us Brexiteers who are supposed to be changing our minds :D ..........

StuartO - 2019-08-29 10:37 AM

The backlash against Boris's attempt to bring Brexit to conclusion seems to be based on opposition (and some Tory) MP's perceived democractic right to keep arguing and chucking spanners in the works indefinitly. People see democractic rights in terms of a personal right to argue and argue, which of course means that nothing can ever get settled.

I don't recognise any democratic right to keep on interfering, once a valid democratic decision has been made. You can argue, as they do, that one side or the other told lies (and probably both did) or that the Referendum didn't include agreeing to a No Deal Exit (it didn't specify any sort of exit) but you have no right to block progress.

I voted Remain but I think Brexit should go ahead because that was the result of the Referendum. If MPs continue to insist on blocking Brexit simply because they don't like No Deal we need to get rid of them and a General Election is the way forward. Let the Opposition bring a Vote of No Confidence and if they win (which I suspect they won't) then let's have a short extension of Article 50 if necessary and then a General Election.

Agree.

pelmetman - 2019-08-29 10:49 AM

You do realize Stuart? 8-) .............

That according to the Barry & Bullet propaganda show.......It's us Brexiteers who are supposed to be changing our minds :D ..........

That was the intention. Not the likes of you fanatical Brexit at any cost lot of course but we have not been given that chance. Polls show a consistent swing to remain albeit a small one and of course the longer it drags on the more young voters come through that want in the whole to remain in the EU but Ive all but given up on that now. What should have happened when we were facing down a no deal Brexit was a confirmatory vote with the public as it was never what was sold and its clearly not what a majority would like, even amongst Brexiteers. That would have been the democratic thing to do but "your lot" have shown their true colours now and trampled all over Democracy this week but I find myself somewhat agreeing with Stuart again, we should just let them get on with it now. If there is no chance of a confirmatory vote then just let the fools take us over the edge and then you and they can own it. All if it. No ifs or buts about what happens next or blaming the remoaners or the EU because the country goes to rat sh1t.

Archived