The Spy Who Died Twice

Bulletguy

A documentary screened by Channel 4 about John Stonehouse (remember him?), the MP who "disappeared" after going for a swim at a Miami beach......only to resurface some time later in Australia!

It proved an interesting watch but what I didn't know about was his espionage activities for Czechoslovakia.....the detail of which was later suppressed by no less than Margaret Thatcher!

It's on iplayer here; https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-spy-who-died-twice

John Stonehouse was a Labour MP, surprised you failed to mention that?

Whatever the reasons for supressing information I doubt it was politically motivated given he was a Labour MP.

Labour sleaze - now there is a novelty - or is it?

Tracker - 2022-05-10 7:17 PM

Whatever the reasons for supressing information I doubt it was politically motivated given he was a Labour MP.

Changed sides and went SDP / Lib Dem.

And let's not forget Ray Mawby the Conservative MP who spied for the Czechs - even giving a signed receipt for one of his bribes.

CurtainRaiser - 2022-05-10 8:35 PM

Changed sides and went SDP / Lib Dem.

And let's not forget Ray Mawby the Conservative MP who spied for the Czechs - even giving a signed receipt for one of his bribes.

Thats exactly why Thatcher suppressed it because it would have exposed Mawby as well. Curiously they left that bit about him out!

How can you say that without knowing what information she suppressed?

You are just showing your bias against Labour

Suppressing information was unlikely to help the Labour MP because he was already sunk.

Archived