The Upside of Lockdown

StuartO

I feel really sorry for those who are struggling financially because of the virus outbreak and I am pleased to see our Government supporting everyone who is likely to be struggling as best they can, even though I'll be one of the taxpayers who has to foot the bill eventually. And of course those families which have suffered bereavement. There have been some heartbreaking stories.

But for us pensioners on a comfortable income the Lockdown is far from painful overall and we've found we can get almost everything we need without difficulty and we have a nice house and garden in which to make the best of things - and we can talk to our families (and see them too) using the internet. Our cars have just been sitting on the drive and so has our motorhome, but no great loss there since we're getting stuff delivered. And the weather's nice.

In normal years we'd have been down in Portugal for several weeks already but this year we're enjoying making a better job of our garden then usual. We can get everything we need for that too - including getting bedding plant plugs by post. Our greenhouse and potting shed have never looked better. I count my blessings regularly.

And we are passing on the money we're not spending this year, on ferries and fuel and other touring costs, by making donations to deserving causes. Not just Captain Tom's funds for the NHS but that sort of thing. Hopefully we're not the only ones; it would be so easy to count your blessings and leave it at that.

There is a lot of Lock Down Smugness going on I have noticed though especially on Facebook. Im getting a bit sick of seeing the same people posting photos of their walks and how lucky they are to have either a massive garden or open countryside on their doorstep.

For me not much has changed to be honest. Work dropped off but I never did much anyway and now when I do I do it all from home. I dont and wont go to site. No family to worry about or miss so nothing much has changed especially now (For now at least) we can get out further afield. The only thing I miss (Well Mrs D misses) is the odd lunch out or the Chippy. Just heard the pub a mile up the road is doing takeaway meals though so might give that a whirl. Apart from that out here in the sticks its business as usual.

Not had any money off the government yet though.

StuartO - 2020-05-19 6:10 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-05-19 12:57 PM .....Not had any money off the government yet though.

And do you think you should be getting money from the Government?

Barry wouldnt take a penny from those he hates ... That would be the height/hate of hypocrisy

Its not their money. The Government does not have any money. Its our money.

Yes Ill be putting a claim in as self employed. I already filled the thing in online but so far zilch. Ill believe it when I see it to be honest. One things for sure we will all be paying it back when this is over.

Barryd999 - 2020-05-19 6:34 PM

Its not their money. The Government does not have any money. Its our money.

Yes Ill be putting a claim in as self employed. I already filled the thing in online but so far zilch. Ill believe it when I see it to be honest. One things for sure we will all be paying it back when this is over.

Take it back ... Barry would be a hypocrite

Archived