The Way Forward for Labour

StuartO

Thank goodness Jeremy Corbyn lost and let's hope that Boris makes good use of his newly won majority without being hounded about his past mistakes by people like Andrew Neil; I think Boris deserves a fresh start.

But we do need a functioning opposition for our system of government to work well, so I hope Labour recovers by moving back towards the centre without too much delay. Unfortunately though it's beginning to look like Labour's Left would rather hang on to control of Labour rather than let the pendulum swing back towards centerist politics. If they can't win with Labour, they don't care if no one else does either.

It will be interesting to see if Clever Labour (people like Keir Starmer for example) will be able to climb off their hobby horse of Remain-at-any-price and get on with opposing constructively.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2019-12-13 2:15 PM

Thank goodness Jeremy Corbyn lost and let's hope that Boris makes good use of his newly won majority without being hounded about his past mistakes by people like Andrew Neil; I think Boris deserves a fresh start.

But we do need a functioning opposition for our system of government to work well, so I hope Labour recovers by moving back towards the centre without too much delay. Unfortunately though it's beginning to look like Labour's Left would rather hang on to control of Labour rather than let the pendulum swing back towards centerist politics. If they can't win with Labour, they don't care if no one else does either.

It will be interesting to see if Clever Labour (people like Keir Starmer for example) will be able to climb off their hobby horse of Remain-at-any-price and get on with opposing constructively.

Point of order ;-) .......

There is no reason why Labour should be the official opposition :-| .......

As the Liberals have in the past been in government and opposition :D ........

Although I confess not in my lifetime :-> .........

I agree that it's a good thing Corbyn is going - but if Johnson continues to hide from ' aggressive ' questioning from the likes of Andrew Neil I hate to think how he will fare against foreign leaders.

:-|

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2019-12-13 3:27 PM

I agree that it's a good thing Corbyn is going - but if Johnson continues to hide from ' aggressive ' questioning from the likes of Andrew Neil I hate to think how he stand up to foreign leaders.

Eh? :-S ........

How did Cameron do when he went cap in hand to Merkel? *-) .......

Now they will have to deal with Boris who now has a "Whopper" in Parliament >:-) ........

I agree that it's a good thing Corbyn is going - but if Johnson continues to hide from ' aggressive ' questioning from the likes of Andrew Neil I hate to think how he will fare against foreign leaders.

Spot on Malc.....he won't 'cut it' because he can't stop lying and making promises he has no intention of keeping, so it's time now for the nation to hold the Tories to account and remind them, "this is why we voted for you" on everything they don't deliver. Time too for the fanatics to be held to account for their insanity.

pelmetman - 2019-12-13 3:31 PM

I agree that it's a good thing Corbyn is going - but if Johnson continues to hide from ' aggressive ' questioning from the likes of Andrew Neil I hate to think how he stand up to foreign leaders.

Now they will have to deal with Boris

All 27 of them must be absolutely terrified.

*-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-12-13 3:47 PM

Spot on Malc.....he won't 'cut it' because he can't stop lying and making promises he has no intention of keeping, so it's time now for the nation to hold the Tories to account and remind them, "this is why we voted for you" on everything they don't deliver. Time too for the fanatics to be held to account for their insanity.

So shouldn't you LOSERS wait for a while? ;-) ........

Well at least until Brexit has happened *-) ......

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2019-12-13 3:49 PM

pelmetman - 2019-12-13 3:31 PM

Now they will have to deal with Boris

All 27 of them must be absolutely terrified.

*-)

The half dozen or so that pick up the bill for the rest will be >:-) ........

jumpstart - 2019-12-13 3:03 PM

Interestingly Corbyn said ..loosing had nothing to do with their policy’s which were all fine, it was the Press who lost it for them. What a nutter.

He was cornered. If he came out in favour of Brexit he'd lose a big chunk of his remain support in the north to Cons/BP, and if he came out in favour of remain he'd lose an equally big chunk of his support in the south to the LDs. With that, and the personal appeal of a plate of cold porridge, he was doomed whatever he said or did. The Cons had the good luck/foresight to capture Brexit and in so doing shot down Nigel's Brexit party. The LDs offered a silly fantasy option on revoke, that they had as much chance of realising as flying to the moon, while it offered nothing at all to the Brexiter majority, so people assumed they were undemocratic dreamers, and turned away from them.

It was not so much that the Cons won (their vote only increased 1.2%), it was that Labour lost (their vote fell by 7.8%) (LD's increased 4.2%).

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-12-13 4:44 PM

Interestingly Corbyn said ..loosing had nothing to do with their policy’s which were all fine, it was the Press who lost it for them. What a nutter.

He was cornered. If he came out in favour of Brexit he'd lose a big chunk of his remain support in the north to Cons/BP, and if he came out in favour of remain he'd lose an equally big chunk of his support in the south to the LDs. With that, and the personal appeal of a plate of cold porridge, he was doomed whatever he said or did. The Cons had the good luck/foresight to capture Brexit and in so doing shot down Nigel's Brexit party. The LDs offered a silly fantasy option on revoke, that they had as much chance of realising as flying to the moon, while it offered nothing at all to the Brexiter majority, so people assumed they were undemocratic dreamers, and turned away from them.

It was not so much that the Cons won (their vote only increased 1.2%), it was that Labour lost (their vote fell by 7.8%) (LD's increased 4.2%).

Excuses excuses *-) ..........

Time to recognise the facts Brian ;-) ........

You LOSERS have wasted 3 years of our lives 8-) .......

pelmetman - 2019-12-13 3:54 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-12-13 3:47 PM

So shouldn't you LOSERS wait for a while? ;-) ........

Well at least until Brexit has happened *-) ......

You see Pelmet this is whats wrong with you. You need to come up with something new instead of slinging "losers, remoaners" out all the time. Like a couple i overheard earlier today discussing the 1pm news who came out with the flippant remark, "well Brexit won't affect us so we don't care", you, and selfish people like them, reflect everything which is wrong on so many levels in this country now.

At the moment you're still having orgasms over your GE "win", but it won't last. You voted off the back of a pack of lies fed to you by a proven pathological liar making promises he's already broke, but now it's payback time for us Remainers as you're going to be held to account on everything.......40 new hospitals, 50,000 nurses (already broken that "promise), 20,000 police (same number Tories foolishly cut), £350m a week every week to the NHS etc etc...the list is endless. Time you lot ceased the silly soundbites and got delivering. Waiting.

Actually - going back to StuartO original point about Johnson being hounded :

--- without a functioning opposition it is more important than ever that the government is kept on their toes by mainstream media journalists ( but certainly not by trolls on social media platforms).

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-12-13 4:52 PM

You see Pelmet this is whats wrong with you. You need to come up with something new instead of slinging "losers, remoaners" out all the time.

We Brexiteers only started replying in kind :-| ..........

After you LOSERS refused to accept the democratic result of a legitimate referendum ;-).......

Are you going to accept the result of the election? (?) .........

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2019-12-13 5:00 PM

--- without a functioning opposition it is more important than ever that the government is kept on their toes by mainstream media journalists ( but certainly not by trolls on social media platforms).

So you are in favour of a taxpayer funded media so long as its biased to the left? ;-) .........

Blimey Malc.......you've legged it even further to the left since you got off the fence (lol) .......

Brian Kirby - 2019-12-13 4:44 PM

I think had Farage carried out his threat of standing candidates and split the Tory vote we'd be looking at a very different outcome, quite possibly a hung parliament. J/start is right about the media though who mounted a relentless smear campaign against Corbyn which worked. Now they will need to look for some other smear once a new leader, likely to be Keir Starmer, is elected. No doubt the Fail and other rag media are already busy in their department of muck scheming up something whilst ignoring the blatant racism and Islamophobia which is institutionalised within the Tory party and Johnson refuses to have independently investigated.

pelmetman - 2019-12-13 5:01 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-12-13 4:52 PM

You see Pelmet this is whats wrong with you. You need to come up with something new instead of slinging "losers, remoaners" out all the time.

We Brexiteers only started replying in kind :-| ..........

After you LOSERS refused to accept the democratic result of a legitimate referendum ;-).......

Are you going to accept the result of the election? (?) .........

There was absolutely nothing democratic about it at all.....i know that and so do you.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-12-13 5:05 PM

I think had Farage carried out his threat of standing candidates and split the Tory vote we'd be looking at a very different outcome, quite possibly a hung parliament. J/start is right about the media though who mounted a relentless smear campaign against Corbyn which worked.

What absolute cobblers *-) .........

Corbyn was a Terrorist Lick-spittle for decades >:-( ........

I'm kinda thinking that you don't really have a son in the SAS :-| ........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-12-13 5:08 PM

There was absolutely nothing democratic about it at all.....i know that and so do you.

Yep your right Bullet ;-) .......

It's all the fault of us folk who didn't speak anti Brexit lefty cobblers (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

pelmetman - 2019-12-13 5:05 PM

malc d - 2019-12-13 5:00 PM

--- without a functioning opposition it is more important than ever that the government is kept on their toes by mainstream media journalists ( but certainly not by trolls on social media platforms). :-|

So you are in favour of a taxpayer funded media so long as its biased to the left? ;-) .........

Blimey Malc.......you've legged it even further to the left since you got off the fence (lol) .......

Typical short term thinking. If tax payer media is supposed to follow the line of the party in power, how happy will you be when that party is left wing? It will be at some time. Hostage to fortune?

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-12-13 5:36 PM

Typical short term thinking. If tax payer media is supposed to follow the line of the party in power, how happy will you be when that party is left wing? It will be at some time. Hostage to fortune?

Taxpayer funded media should not have "ANY"bias *-) ........

But its been abundantly clear our taxpayer funded media has a Left leaning bias :-| .......

As has been shown by their well paid Luuvie gobs**tes and even by Mz Munchkin's Lovin interview with Nasty Grandpa ;-) ........

I reckon she'll get some Corbyn jam for Christmas >:-) .......

pelmetman - 2019-12-13 5:12 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-12-13 5:05 PM

I think had Farage carried out his threat of standing candidates and split the Tory vote we'd be looking at a very different outcome, quite possibly a hung parliament. J/start is right about the media though who mounted a relentless smear campaign against Corbyn which worked.

What absolute cobblers *-) .........

Corbyn was a Terrorist Lick-spittle for decades >:-( ........

So is your Tory party......you never let facts stand in the way of ignoring an inconvenient truth do you? :-|

Archived