The Windrush Generation

Bulletguy

Yet another disgraceful mess by May's horrendous government..

Downing Street branded a 'total and utter disgrace' after rejecting Caribbean leaders' request to discuss amnesty for Windrush generation.

Channel 4 news carried a number of reports about this disgraceful case recently.

People who came from Commonwealth countries to UK as children with their parents to do the dirty menial jobs British wouldn't do.

Half a century on and many of the children now in their 60's have been threatened with deportation despite a lifetime working and paying tax here. Some have had their jobs taken away from them, held in detention centres pending removal, even a cancer sufferer told to pay £54,000 for treatment unless he can prove he is eligible for NHS treatment.

It's utterly disgraceful and shameful how these people have been treated like pieces of garbage.

How any decent minded person can openly support this Government is beyond me. Hang your heads in shame.

https://www.channel4.com/news/the-windrush-generation-fighting-to-be-british

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/downing-street-branded-a-total-and-utter-disgrace-after-rejecting-caribbean-leaders-request-to-a3814416.html

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/why-the-children-of-windrush-demand-an-immigration-amnesty

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make your voice heard Barry and write to your MP just as i have, and i left him in no doubt as to where my next communication would be heading if his government fail to put an immediate stop to this despicable behaviour.

You can do it by email but replies are generally via formal mail on headed paper.

https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-your-mp/

There's just been some 'breaking news' on the matter and May has done a U turn - finally agreeing to meet Commonwealth leaders after she'd previously refused, but refuses to apologise for people who have lost their jobs or been threatened with deportation.

That's not enough for me......she must apologise.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-windrush-generation-deportation-immigration-uk-citizenship-uturn-home-office-latest-a8306841.html

Bulletguy - 2018-04-16 2:40 PM

Make your voice heard Barry and write to your MP just as i have, and i left him in no doubt as to where my next communication would be heading if his government fail to put an immediate stop to this despicable behaviour.

You can do it by email but replies are generally via formal mail on headed paper.

https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-your-mp/

There's just been some 'breaking news' on the matter and May has done a U turn - finally agreeing to meet Commonwealth leaders after she'd previously refused, but refuses to apologise for people who have lost their jobs or been threatened with deportation.

That's not enough for me......she must apologise.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-windrush-generation-deportation-immigration-uk-citizenship-uturn-home-office-latest-a8306841.html

"That's not enough for me ..... she must apologise" ... Bet she's sat at number 10 bricking it

With such calm eloquence and originality of thought Bulletbrain must have been a terrible loss to the diplomatic service now that he spends his days trawing the internet for nasty things to cling to in the vain hope that someone will vote communist with him!

Tracker - 2018-04-16 2:58 PM

With such calm eloquence and originality of thought Bulletbrain must have been a terrible loss to the diplomatic service now that he spends his days trawing the internet for nasty things to cling to in the vain hope that someone will vote communist with him!

"Trawling the internet...." has hardly been necessary given it's been carried by mainstream news throughout the week. You can't fail to have missed it......unless living in cave.

..."nasty things" Of that it most certainly is...extremely nasty and despicable.

They want to be thankful they don't live in some countries ... If your right to be there in those countries is questioned simply because of your religion or because your white then you may end up being raped or murdered and that really is extremely nasty and despicable

antony1969 - 2018-04-16 4:02 PM

They want to be thankful they don't live in some countries ...

They have every right to be here....they are in this country legally. May began creating this hostile environment during her tenure as HS and has continued it as Prime Minister. She's not fit to hold office.

Government have obviously only just got round to reading the British Nationality Act 1948;

British nationality by virtue of citizenship

(1) Every person who under this Act is a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies or who under any enactment for the time being in force in any country mentioned in subsection (3) of this section is a citizen of that country shall by virtue of that citizenship have the status of a British subject.

Amber Rudd is the only person who has openly apologised, May still has her heels dug in and head buried, but Tory ministers are rapidly backtracking now they've realised a Parliamentary debate has been forced due to a public petition.

Downing Street must be reeking with burning rubber from the handbrake turn May's done on this.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/home-secretary-amber-rudd-apologises-to-windrush-generation-after-appalling-treatment-by-government-a3815311.html

Surely this is something we should all be outraged at and united about regardless of your political leaning. Citizens who's families came here when we desperately needed them, endured all kinds of abuse along the way but settled here and now 50 years later they and their families are facing this kind of thing. Its disgraceful.

Barryd999 - 2018-04-16 4:46 PM

Surely this is something we should all be outraged at and united about regardless of your political leaning. Citizens who's families came here when we desperately needed them, endured all kinds of abuse along the way but settled here and now 50 years later they and their families are facing this kind of thing. Its disgraceful.

At least Amber Rudd has shown moral humanity and had the decency to apologise, and i believe with sincerity too.

Miss Rudd said: "I do not want any of the Commonwealth citizens who are here legally to be impacted in the way they have. Frankly, some of the ways they have been treated has been wrong, has been appalling and I am sorry."

Immigration minister Caroline Nokes needs to pull her socks up though and be less vague;

The immigration minister, appeared to admit that some people had been deported because they lacked the correct documents – but could not say how many. “I don't know the numbers but what I am determined to do... is say we'll have no more of this.”

Not a Windrush victim but the same experience from a doctor working with the NHS for five years.Studied medicine here and qualified here. Now the HO want to kick him out.

https://www.theguardian.com/healthcare-network/2018/apr/13/ive-been-an-nhs-doctor-for-five-years-the-home-office-wants-to-deport-me

Bulletguy - 2018-04-16 4:43 PM

They have every right to be here....they are in this country legally. May began creating this hostile environment during her tenure as HS and has continued it as Prime Minister. She's not fit to hold office.

Government have obviously only just got round to reading the British Nationality Act 1948;

(1) Every person who under this Act is a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies or who under any enactment for the time being in force in any country mentioned in subsection (3) of this section is a citizen of that country shall by virtue of that citizenship have the status of a British subject.

Amber Rudd is the only person who has openly apologised, May still has her heels dug in and head buried, but Tory ministers are rapidly backtracking now they've realised a Parliamentary debate has been forced due to a public petition.

Downing Street must be reeking with burning rubber from the handbrake turn May's done on this.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/home-secretary-amber-rudd-apologises-to-windrush-generation-after-appalling-treatment-by-government-a3815311.html

I know your an expert on most subjects and your in-depth coverage of some of those subjects makes for fascinating reading but I would like to cut government some slack and stick my head on the line and say that if it was purely just a case of reading that section of the British Nationality Act you've quoted then im sure even our dim witted nasty Tory government have already looked at that ... I f they haven't thought of looking at that and your brilliance has uncovered it then I suggest you write to your MP again and get even angrier this time and demand that Mrs May MUST sort all this mess out ... Your brilliant

antony1969 - 2018-04-16 5:21 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-04-16 4:43 PM

I know your an expert on most subjects and your in-depth coverage of some of those subjects makes for fascinating reading but I would like to cut government some slack and stick my head on the line and say that if it was purely just a case of reading that section of the British Nationality Act you've quoted then im sure even our dim witted nasty Tory government have already looked at that ...

'Cut them some slack'?? 8-)

A Home Secretary now openly apologised in the HoC, ministers lining up behind her after realising this is going to be raised in parliament, whilst May who created this hostile environment with disregard for immigration law to the point of serious rebuke from the Law Society, continues to bury her head refusing to apologise.

She's an absolute disgrace and this case has brought national shame.

If they haven't thought of looking at that and your brilliance has uncovered it then I suggest you write to your MP again and get even angrier this time and demand that Mrs May MUST sort all this mess out ... Your brilliant

Had you read the first post you'd have seen i already did that last night.....before May's grudgingly unapologetic U-turn today. And no i demanded an immediate stop be put to the nonsense, not just 'sorted out'.

An extremely powerful and heartfelt speech.......one of the best i've heard in years from the HoC.

I believe you would struggle to find anyone who thinks that these people should be fired from their jobs and deported so it's not just a matter of politician persuasion.

This is an example of what happens when incompetent bureaucracy collides with people's lives and it's only going to get worse with the huge number of residency and citizenship applications which are going to arise because of the UK's urge to leave the EU.

The hostile environment that's treating immigrants worse than criminals and destroying the lives of decent citizens is a deliberate government policy fueled by right wing extremism which has backfired on May spectacularly.

Channel 4 news reporter Michael Crick makes a valid point on his Twitter account.

Bulletguy - 2018-04-16 9:09 PM

An extremely powerful and heartfelt speech.......one of the best i've heard in years from the HoC.

I believe you would struggle to find anyone who thinks that these people should be fired from their jobs and deported so it's not just a matter of politician persuasion.

This is an example of what happens when incompetent bureaucracy collides with people's lives and it's only going to get worse with the huge number of residency and citizenship applications which are going to arise because of the UK's urge to leave the EU.

The hostile environment that's treating immigrants worse than criminals and destroying the lives of decent citizens is a deliberate government policy fueled by right wing extremism which has backfired on May spectacularly.

Channel 4 news reporter Michael Crick makes a valid point on his Twitter account.

Blimey!! "Ambo" got a right kicking there! (lol)

And rightly so.

Barryd999 - 2018-04-16 10:33 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-04-16 9:09 PM

Blimey!! "Ambo" got a right kicking there! (lol)

And rightly so.

Yes i agree though it shouldn't be forgotten who laid the foundations enabling this despicable act of inhumanity and this shows just how sneaky they've been.....and remember who the Home Secretary was at this time which no doubt is the reason she's now refusing as PM to apologise. A deliberate act by the Tories with May as chief instigator of her 'hostile environment'.

The government quietly removed a key protection from the statute books for some British residents of the Windrush generation who could face deportation. The Home Office said the clause was not included in the 2014 Immigration Act because adequate protections were already in place for people who were initially granted temporary rights to remain in the UK and have stayed for decades.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/16/immigration-law-key-clause-protecting-windrush-immigrants-removed-in-2014

Newsnight on BBC tonight spoke to a lady who came from Barbados in 1975 as a 13 year old girl with her parents. She's since had her driving licence withdrawn, kicked out of her job, and cannot claim any benefits. She showed all the paperwork she received from both the DVLA and HO informing her she has not right to remain. Now.....since the HO got wind of her being on Newsnight, the HO told the BBC they will be contacting this lady tomorrow who needless to say is somewhat bemused...."first they've been telling me i have no right to be here, now all of a sudden they decide they want to phone me".

May has been covering this up for years with the attitude it's just a small number of people and they won't kick up a stink. The cost of this will be borne by taxpayers, instead the Ministers responsible should have their pay docked, if that's not enough then their backbenchers should cough up and if that is still not enough then the taxpayers funds to the party in power should go to those detrimentally affected.

How the hell did any Minister with half a brain cell believe children as young as 5 would know they had to fill in a form and register and keep that paperwork for the rest of their lives because 40-50 years later an evil Home Secretary would retrospectively insist that 5 year old child be expected to produce the required paperwork?

Guest pelmetman

Seem's to me that our own civil service has an agenda to make their most rediculus decisions seem like the governments fault? *-) .............

derek pringle - 2018-04-17 8:53 AM

Barryd999 - 2018-04-16 9:06 AM

Seems they have already kicked quite a few out in similar circumstances.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/08/50-people-snatched-deported-jamaica-uk-immigration

Disgraceful.

Hi Barry, I hope they contact these people and offer repatriation back here and compensation.

cheers

derek

So do I but the way this country is going they are probably better off out.

How Hinge and Bracket (Above) Can defend our feckless Government over this or attempt to deflect this national outrage is beyond me.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-04-17 9:35 AM

How Hinge and Bracket (Above) Can defend our feckless Government over this or attempt to deflect this national outrage is beyond me.

So are you saying Mrs May personally authorised their deportation? :-| ..........

Frankly I reckon it's the fault of the immigration service seeking easy targets for removal, rather than those who have lawyer'ed up with human rights lawyers at taxpayers expense ;-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-04-17 9:58 AM

So are you saying Mrs May personally authorised their deportation? :-| ..........

Frankly I reckon it's the fault of the immigration service seeking easy targets for removal, rather than those who have lawyer'ed up with human rights lawyers at taxpayers expense ;-) .........

And who do the immigration services take their directives from? The buck stops with Ambo and her government. Its just one bad news story gaff from one week to the next with the Tories right now. It must be a sh1t place to work. I dunno how they manage to get out of bed every morning.

derek pringle - 2018-04-17 8:53 AM

Barryd999 - 2018-04-16 9:06 AM

Seems they have already kicked quite a few out in similar circumstances.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/08/50-people-snatched-deported-jamaica-uk-immigration

Disgraceful.

Hi Barry, I hope they contact these people and offer repatriation back here and compensation.

cheers

derek

So do I but the way this country is going they are probably better off out.

Because it's 'upset' their usual well worn narrative as displayed by their anxiety to deflect starting yet another thread on crime in London.

Funny how Brexit campaigners attempted to turn the Commonwealth into a symbol of Britain’s ability to stand on the international stage independently of the EU. So yet another of their lies.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12193101/Brexit-will-allow-Britain-to-embrace-the-Commonwealth.html

15th post in explained where/how the foundations began. The timeline was 2014 so doesn't take much to figure out.

The government quietly removed a key protection from the statute books for some British residents of the Windrush generation who could face deportation. The Home Office said the clause was not included in the 2014 Immigration Act because adequate protections were already in place for people who were initially granted temporary rights to remain in the UK and have stayed for decades.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/16/immigration-law-key-clause-protecting-windrush-immigrants-removed-in-2014

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-04-17 1:17 PM

15th post in explained where/how the foundations began. The timeline was 2014 so doesn't take much to figure out.

Yep, as I thought it's a unintended consequence of thinking our civil servants suffered from common sense

*-) ............

It's a shame we can't deport the "Windbag Generation" or you'd be on your way to La La land >:-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-04-17 10:56 AM

And who do the immigration services take their directives from? The buck stops with Ambo and her government. Its just one bad news story gaff from one week to the next with the Tories right now. It must be a sh1t place to work. I dunno how they manage to get out of bed every morning.

All this proves to me is there are too many UK back stabbing left wing nut job civil servants >:-) ...........

Time for a cull methinks B-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-04-17 3:53 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-04-17 1:17 PM

Yep, as I thought it's a unintended consequence of thinking our civil servants suffered from common sense

The position of Home Secretary and Prime Minister is much more than just a civil servant. As for 'unintended', it was the absolute opposite. The Tory government intentionally set about removing a a key protection from the statute books when creating the 2014 Immigration Act, ignoring the very clear clause in the British Nationality Act 1948.

May was Home Secretary at that time. She was the chief instigator hell bent on creating her "hostile environment". https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9291483/Theresa-May-interview-Were-going-to-give-illegal-migrants-a-really-hostile-reception.html

In doing so she also snared people who were legally British citizens who've faced months of misery, lost their jobs, and been told to pack their bags and clear off. Some have already been deported.

To a degree i have some sympathy for Rudd as she's ended up in charge of the mire and chaos May created and Rudd was quick to apologise. May has had to be dragged kicking and screaming to extract an apology from her which imo is way too late and totally insincere. It's fake because initially she'd refused to apologise and her arrogant brusque demeanour in the HoC yesterday was plain for all to see.

78% polled believe they should have a right to stay.....even a large percentage of UKIP included in that figure though not surprisingly they were also the only party who polled the highest figure for not having the right to stay.

2004756642_YouGovpoll.JPG.be2c39e7cb44153630b2e4b2047aae06.JPG

Archived