The name game ... how do you say that?????

Mel B

Just a thought, we all know the names of the motorhome makers, like Laika, Adria, Pilote etc but how exactly do you pronounce the names correctly?

For example, I think:

"Pilote" is pronounced "P-lot"

"Laika" as "Lie-ka"

"Knaus", K-naus"

Are these right, are there any others???

Just want to make sure that I don't sound a plonker (well, no more than normal!).

Good point Howie, the Laika connection obviously slipped by the marketing men. Is there an unintended, subliminal meaning being communicated to potential customers I wonder, when a product is named after an (albeit famous) Alsatian/German Shepherd.

Lowering the tone and off-subject I know, but the last German Shepherd I had suffered incredible flatulence. I pity the guy who had to open the capsule door when it returned to earth! :-)

Getting back to subject, Mel's raising the issue creates a quandry with my user name. Of course I had heard both pronunciations but for convenience opted for Knaus to make a play on words with "nouse". If the voting goes for K-naus, that kind of ruins my on-line handle, doesn't it?!

Any Germans in the house for a definitive ruling?

Bob

Mel B - 2007-08-13 9:02 PM Just a thought, we all know the names of the motorhome makers, like Laika, Adria, Pilote etc but how exactly do you pronounce the names correctly? For example, I think: "Pilote" is pronounced "P-lot" "Laika" as "Lie-ka" "Knaus", K-naus" Are these right, are there any others??? Just want to make sure that I don't sound a plonker (well, no more than normal!).

Interesting thought Mel.  What about Hymer?  We call it Hi-mer. Continentals call it He-mer.  I do believe that the correct pronunciation is in fact Hu-mer.

Roy.

Usinmyknaus - 2007-08-14 8:40 AM

Getting back to subject, Mel's raising the issue creates a quandry with my user name. Of course I had heard both pronunciations but for convenience opted for Knaus to make a play on words with "nouse". If the voting goes for K-naus, that kind of ruins my on-line handle, doesn't it?!

Any Germans in the house for a definitive ruling?

Bob

Bob

Why can't you use your Nouse with a K in front?

Weinsberg is of course Vines-burg - or as Babel Fish would have it - 'The Wine Mountain' (which it can be some times coming back from France)

Mel B - 2007-08-13 9:02 PM

Just a thought, we all know the names of the motorhome makers, like Laika, Adria, Pilote etc but how exactly do you pronounce the names correctly?

For example, I think:

"Pilote" is pronounced "P-lot"

"Laika" as "Lie-ka"

"Knaus", K-naus"

Are these right, are there any others???

Just want to make sure that I don't sound a plonker (well, no more than normal!).

Hymer I think is pronounced hurmer in Germany, but I think, by the anti feeling for it in this country it's pronounced S...T.

Exotic and unusual names catch the eye I suppose, but does anyone really buy on this alone.

Saying that, the name "Niesman and Bischoff" always makes me think of solid reliability, although given the price of their Clouliner range this is to be expected.

Mott-Gotobed, although I have met Clive webwobbin as well as reading his electrifying articals in MMM, I did not asked how to pronounce his name, seeing Mel-B's shot of his afternoon snooze reminded me that I really should find out??? even know his reg R4 MOT. Sorry Clive, very remiss of me.

Hymer is pronounced differently in different countries but in the original German it is pronounced Hyumer. Us Brits tend to pronounce it Hi mer and that is where it gets amusing as when I ask an owner what 'van he/she has I usually get the answer with a dropped H. As in " Oh I have an eimer - why amusing you ask - In German an eimer is a bucket!

Make of that what you will.

I'm intrigued by the snobbery attached to pronunciation in certain circumstances. Continental cities for example.

For Paris, if you say "Paree" you are likely to be considered a poser and a show-off, even though that is the way the locals say it, and presumably they know best. It has to be "Pa-riss" (though I have to admit "Paree Hilton" would be a bit OTT even for that young lady!)

On the other hand, for Armentieres for example, if you say "Armenteers" you are obviously thick and uneducated.

Likewise you are a peasant if Versailles is not correctly pronounced as "Ver-sigh", but if you emphatically drop the "H" in Le Havre you are posing again."

And as for Milano, Firenze, Roma or Napoli - try pronouncing those correctly and watch for the raised eyebrows. They are all in Italia by the way.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Yup.

But for once we are not alone - Whilst we call Deutchland - Germany and Munchen - Munich. They call us Grosse Britanians and Scotland - Schotland. The French and Spanish are just as cavalier with pronouncing other countries names too.

I agree though it would be much easier if we all used each others names pronounced the way the locals do then Slaithwaite would always be pronounced Slowit - Oh it is!

Hi Old Git, no problem, I think it is right, I coppied it, I can't speak Welsh anyway, which is very naughty of me, as my Daughters do, and my Grandchildren learned it in school, and a lot of my friends have the Welsh as their first language.

Ranger - 2007-08-20 2:57 PM

Hi Old Git, no problem, I think it is right, I coppied it, I can't speak Welsh anyway, which is very naughty of me, as my Daughters do, and my Grandchildren learned it in school, and a lot of my friends have the Welsh as their first language.

You are going to hate me for this Ranger, my ears are burning already.

Who said Llanfairpwll-whotsit is spelled wrongly? You left the apostrophe out of "week's" as in "How about a weeks holiday in . .".

Sorry mate. I won't start slanging you off if you call me a few choice names - I deserve it for such a sneaky, smart-arse trick. The insults can be in Welsh if you like as that's my wife's first language, and she will enjoy translating them.

Keep taking the tablets!

Frankkia - 2007-08-18 11:00 PM

I agree though it would be much easier if we all used each others names pronounced the way the locals do then Slaithwaite would always be pronounced Slowit - Oh it is!

There's a beauty near us, a village called Ebrington.

It's pronounced by its inhabitants as Yubberton.

Not so long ago if you stopped to ask one of us local peasants the way to Ebrington, all you would get was a blank incomprehending stare.

Guest caraprof
Apparently there's a programme on television called 'Big Brother' but everyone that I know pronounces it 'Loa das hite'. It must be something to do with 'Estuary English' and all those glottall stops.

Archived