You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  General Chat -> Chatterbox
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 Last
Format:  Go
The name game ... how do you say that?????
AuthorMessage
userOld Git
Posted: 20 August 2007 10:49 PM
Subject: RE: The name game ... how do you say that?????

A posting machine

Ranger - 2007-08-19 11:54 PM

How about a weeks holiday in LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH.

Read your own original post again Ranger, old bean. I win methinks, but a knackered old gentleman and scholar would never gloat over another.

We both sat in school at a time when English was taught proper like - and I bet we both cringe when we see orange's for sale or room's to let. One of my wise old junior school teachers (undoubtedly much younger at the time than I am now) taught us this simple rule of thumb.

If the apostrophe is to be used as a possession mark, imagine it as a tiny part of a circle. Complete the circle by drawing it round the main part of the word (excluding the final "s"), then check by asking yourself, "Does the word I just circled belong to someone or something?". If it does, the apostrophe is used correctly. If it doesn't, you have put an apostrophe where there shouldn't be one.

There are exceptions, but in general it works very well as a quick check if ever in doubt.

Oh dear - how sad can you get . . . back to my Horlicks before it gets cold.

P.S. I was never dyslexic when I used a pen, but on the kebryoard I'm wosre than ulesess. Anyone else notice the same??
userRanger
Posted: 20 August 2007 11:17 PM

Pillar of the forums

Yes Dave, 'Old Git' I'm sorry! I see what you are getting at, I did not reread my first post, I thought I had said a couple of weeks, but I now see I said "a weeks" which as you said should be a week's, Ah well! have a medal. You won it fair and square.
usermichele
Posted: 20 August 2007 11:17 PM

You callled
userOld Git
Posted: 21 August 2007 10:08 AM

A posting machine

Ranger - 2007-08-20 11:17 PM

Yes Dave, 'Old Git' I'm sorry! I see what you are getting at, I did not reread my first post, I thought I had said a couple of weeks, but I now see I said "a weeks" which as you said should be a week's, Ah well! have a medal. You won it fair and square.

You will get your revenge David, I'm quite sure.

I'm so glad you took it in the spirit in which it was intended - sneaky, underhand and definitely smart-assed, but obviously just a bit of gentle leg-pulling. Isn't it a shame that some contributors seem able only to perceive the negative?

I have never been able to take life too seriously, it's far too short for that, and as far as I know this is not a rehearsal. I don't take myself too seriously either - I really would be a sad old git if I did!
userMick H.
Posted: 27 August 2007 12:50 PM

Epic contributor

Frankkia - 2007-08-18 1:21 AM

Hymer is pronounced differently in different countries but in the original German it is pronounced Hyumer. Us Brits tend to pronounce it Hi mer and that is where it gets amusing as when I ask an owner what 'van he/she has I usually get the answer with a dropped H. As in " Oh I have an eimer - why amusing you ask - In German an eimer is a bucket!

Make of that what you will.

Suppose a bucket's better than a tin can.

Mick H.
userMike Parke
Posted: 27 August 2007 8:20 PM

Has lots to offer

Only if there is not a hole in it, dear Lisa!!!

Mike.
usertwooks
Posted: 27 August 2007 9:39 PM

showing your age Mike
me granny told me about the hole int' bucket

userOld Git
Posted: 30 August 2007 10:41 PM

A posting machine

Whakarewarewa.

It's near Rotorua in New Zealand, and you say it very carefully!!
usercrinklystarfish
Posted: 31 August 2007 9:44 AM

Usinmyknaus,

Ahhh, so that’s what you meant! It is indeed a hard ‘k’ on K-naus, but you nonetheless demonstrated much nouse in your choice of marque.

Old Git,

You don’t have to be old, or a git, to understand apostrophes. All you need to do is care. And I for one am glad that you do. Were I a Greengrocer, I’d chance that you may have opened a tin of worm’s.

Beloved Professor,

You must be growing fond of this fellow?

Apropos of the thread, my favourite is a Swiss village called W**k, which the euphemistic forum processing software insists on converting to 'self gratification'. I don’t care how it’s pronounced; I just want to live there.

userOld Git
Posted: 31 August 2007 10:06 AM

A posting machine

crinklystarfish - 2007-08-31 9:44 AM
You don’t have to be old, or a git, to understand apostrophes. All you need to do is care. And I for one am glad that you do. Were I a Greengrocer, I’d chance that you may have opened a tin of worm’s.

Morning Crinkly

I'd forgotten about the apostrophes. I was only being a bit of a smartass and winding up Ranger by making him think I was referring to Llanfair-whotsit-gogogoch when I challenged his spelling. We both have a Welsh connection since he (I presume) is one and I married one, so a bit of fun seemed like the order of the day. I'm still waiting for him to get his own back, but they are a crafty lot these Welsh so I guess he'll catch me when I'm least expecting it.

The following bit of that post (which I just re-read) wasn't meant as a lecture. It was just a reminiscence. Old gits do that all the time - they live in the past you know. It's the "When I was a lad . . . " syndrome, and boring as hell to younger folk isn't it!!

Ah well, back to reality. Is it time for a Horlick's yet?

usercaraprof
Posted: 31 August 2007 10:23 AM

crinklystarfish - 2007-08-31 9:44 AM

Usinmyknaus,

Ahhh, so that’s what you meant! It is indeed a hard ‘k’ on K-naus, but you nonetheless demonstrated much nouse in your choice of marque.

Old Git,

Beloved Professor,

You must be growing fond of this fellow?

Apropos of the thread, my favourite is a Swiss village called W**k, which the euphemistic forum processing software insists on converting to 'self gratification'. I don’t care how it’s pronounced; I just want to live there.

That's nothing. Try typing in the name of a well known steel town in Lincolnshire.

Edited by caraprof 2007-08-31 10:25 AM
usercrinklystarfish
Posted: 31 August 2007 10:24 AM

OG,

I didn't perceive it as a lecture and I enjoyed your wit. I'm just glad there are still standards.

Regards,

Steve

userOld Git
Posted: 31 August 2007 10:58 AM

A posting machine

N.B.

Lost my emoticons. Will re-post if I can find out what I've done, but am nearly out of editing time.

Edited by Old Git 2007-08-31 11:26 AM
userOld Git
Posted: 31 August 2007 11:29 AM

A posting machine

Stone me - that's twice they have vanished. Am I even more senile than I though???

Edited by Old Git 2007-08-31 11:32 AM
userOld Git
Posted: 31 August 2007 11:33 AM

A posting machine

How strange. I copied, deleted the post, started a new window and pasted the message back in - and the emoticons are back.

Curious.

crinklystarfish - 2007-08-31 10:24 AM

I didn't perceive it as a lecture and I enjoyed your wit. I'm just glad there are still standards.

Regards

Steve

Me too Steve, but I do try not to get hung up about it - honest . In the greater scheme of things "Everything matters - but nothing matters awfully". (David Hemmings, relating a comment from his Prof at university.)

Although I write fairly carefully and perhaps even eloquently at times (where's the emoticon for "bighead"?) it's all an illusion really. In speech I'm sloppy and careless, and often have to backtrack if I am trying to get across a complex message. It may be because I'm always thinking too far ahead and the mouth can't keep up. When writing, and especially on the keyboard, I have to slow down - and always have to check it over as I am thoroughly "keybroad dylsexic".

Mind wandering again - that can of Foster's (apostrophe required - I looked on the tin) last night must have killed off more brain cells than I thought.

Cheers

Dave
usercrinklystarfish
Posted: 31 August 2007 4:31 PM

Old Git,

I agree that it's not worth getting over excited about, but it does restore a bit of faith. It cheers me up anyway.

Frank,

I think that that's probably appropriate for sunny Scunny. It's the most interesting thing that I have ever seen happen to the place.

userOld Git
Posted: 31 August 2007 4:37 PM

A posting machine

crinklystarfish - 2007-08-31 4:31 PM

Old Git,

I agree that it's not worth getting over excited about, but it does restore a bit of faith. It cheers me up anyway.

Hi Steve

Thanks for that, and thank goodness I've managed to cheer somebody up.

Regards

Dave

Edited by Old Git 2007-08-31 4:39 PM
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator