Thinking of buying a caravan

KD

hi just got back from two weeks in spain in a luxury 2 bed appartment. my wife as finally convinced into considering selling the mh in favour of a more spacious caravan. however much it saddens me to admit it the motorhome just isnt big enough for us two adults 3 young kids and a dog. money wise we can get a new top of the range caravan and still have about 10k to spare if we get a decent return on the mh we paid 25k for only 6 months ago :-(

Guest Tracker

Don't worry about it folks as there is no right or wrong way of camping!

If a towed caravan suits your family's needs better then go for it - after all it is your money you are spending!

Most of us will still talk to you on site and there is no stigma attached to choosing to do the best fro yourselves with the available dosh!

I too can see where a tourer has advantages - specially for a family.

Good luck.

Go for the caravan Dean if you feel it suits your circumstances better, and still a wonderfull way for a growing family to enjoy their holidays together. Towing a small trailer tent might be an option to solve your lack of space, but with young children something for the future perhaps.

Guest Tracker

Absolutely Dean - the site needs more folks like yourself who are capable of contributing sensibly and of posting in a non aggressive way.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on as more of us might just consider the switch - we too have considered it at times!

Guest JudgeMental

As others have said it is an assessment you can really only make for yourselves,

I have never got on with tugging. But IMO motorhoming is more enjoyable and would dread to join the slow lane crowd. Also would miss the flexibility of not being able to use Aires always needing a site on route etc....

Plus I personally cant imagine traveling to Sweden/Croatia/Spain/ or Portugal with a caravan. when we had smaller van we managed on route and when on site children had their own space - a tent. Did without tent this year as new van roomier but kids want to bring tent next year again.....

did you have a caravan before a motorhome?

JudgeMental - 2007-10-26 8:26 PM

As others have said it is an assessment you can really only make for yourselves,

I have never got on with tugging. But IMO motorhoming is more enjoyable and would dread to join the slow lane crowd. Also would miss the flexibility of not being able to use Aires always needing a site on route etc....

Plus I personally cant imagine traveling to Sweden/Croatia/Spain/ or Portugal with a caravan. when we had smaller van we managed on route and when on site children had their own space - a tent. Did without tent this year as new van roomier but kids want to bring tent next year again.....

did you have a caravan before a motorhome?

no mh was our first way of camping, we had a townhouse in spain, but after going on a package deal with kids clubs realised that the holidays abroad that was the way to go. just sold the place that was the reason we were in spain for the last 2 weeks. you cant go to spain or on a package deal every other weekend or for bank holidays so that was the purpose of the mh.

i already have a 3lt 4 four wheel drive toyota landcriuser i would take you on in your mh in and wave to you as i pass.

Guest JudgeMental

Not legally you won't, and I have lost count of the number of caravans and overturned cars I have seen while venturing abroad....

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2007-10-26 10:50 PM

But Judge, you're not supposed to ram them! :D

Tut tut Mel, try and control that elitist nature. which I always presumed was the reserve off CC types.... :-D

seriously though I have seen some horrendous accidents involving them and one 3 years ago when i was 4 cars back. and caravan started snaking(whilst trying to overtake lorry on a hill) when he got past lorry, the whole lot flipped and ended up side down in a trench.

yuo need your wits about you when tugging and lessons.....

Hi Judge

Most important thing that I find is that you absolutely must have a correctly loaded caravan, correctly ballanced vehicle makes speed a lot safer.

Also make sure that your caravan has the correct tyres fitted because that really does make a difference too.

I travel between 70mph and 80 mph most of my European holidays because my caravan is very stable at that speed, I would not attempt to beat any motorhome that overtook me because I know I would loose anyway

i was joking about the race but surely tugging cannot be that unsafe or they would be banned. we are planning a large van 6 birth up to 7mts long, but as i have previously stated i do have a toyota landcruiser so should be ideal for the job would you say?

Guest JudgeMental

In principal yes, its a top choice with caravanners - a colleague has one and he has been at it for 30 years....

But if i was considering such a move I would join the CC and get some lessons.

there are a few caravaner's on here such as Syd who I believe has just returned from a trip to Spain. who may be of more help. like Syd says tyres/tyre pressure and loading are also critical.

out of interest, what model and size of motorhome have you.

"there are a few caravaner's on here such as Syd who I believe has just returned from a trip to Spain. who may be of more help. like Syd says tyres/tyre pressure and loading are also critical".

Hi Judge

I run a Tabbert 22ft X 8ft plus towbar weighing in at 1800k before loading.

I believe the width of our caravan gives it a lot of stability, plus it's weight and the four wheels.

I learned very early on that loading is REALLY REALLY critical if you are going to overtake or travel quickly. I always get the Caravan level when standing and hooked up to the towing vehicle, it's essential.

I had the caravan for three years and changed all tyres before the Spain trip, finding out then that I had been on the wrong tyres all those years.

The improvements in handleing was most noticable when travelling at 70mph + and overtaking lorries, there was virtually no weaving at all and nothing inside the caravan had moved when we reached our destination.

Guest JudgeMental
K&D - 2007-10-27 7:43 PM

JudgeMental - 2007-10-27 12:45 PM

out of interest, what model and size of motorhome have you.

its a 7metre benimar anthus 6000 6 birth 2003 do you want to buy it

lol, no just bought new van this year :-D

ebays the best and cheapest way to attract attention.......

If you do flog the MH and get a caravan make sure you also get a BIG jucy 4X4 with a high riding position to tow it with, else you will miss the view.

My own two quite short periods with caravans suggests that BIG caravans need something robust to pull them. Big Range Rover or Land Cruiser come to mind. Towing with moderate sized cars always ended up with problems in drive posture, vehicle reliability/durability and handling.

Or get a decent Panel van MH conversion and tow a moderate caravan behind for the children. This way you can each get out of each others faces. Howzat?

C.

Guest JudgeMental
K&D - 2007-10-28 9:50 AM

thanks clive i already have a toyota landcruiser

can anyone offer advice on single or double axle

Now that yor getting serious, and seems little chance of persuading you to stay. May I sugest you have a look over on "caravan chat" there are threads at the moment on twin axle/ caravan movers etc.....

bye bye sob sob *-)

K&D, don't want to rain on your parade but have you had a firm price for your "new" van?

We bought ours in March and we tried to get figures for a trade in for a more expensive van and we were offered figures varying between 5 - 8 grand less than paid out. And that didn't any account of the extras we had added.

It was quite a shock!

Archived