Third wave now "highly likely"

Bulletguy

A third Covid wave is ‘highly likely’ once the UK fully comes out of lockdown in the summer, Government scientists have warned.

The Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) said the proposed changes for May and June, when social mixing is set to be permitted again, could cause hospital admissions to hit levels seen in January.

https://tinyurl.com/4uxwf4dr

Yes, it stands to reason that having been in various degrees of "lockdown" for many months, when restrictions do lift then some degree of increase in infections is to be expected.

Let's just hope that the current crop of vaccinations are enough to protect us against what may be coming around the corner...?

On the subject of restrictions easing- It seems crazy to me, when we have not been able to mix with our mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, Grandchildren etc for many months, that the media is now full of items bleating about needing tests etc when going on/returning from "foreign holidays"!?...are people really that stupid??

How much "virus" was brought in by those who came scuttling back, unchecked, into the UK, last year? *-)

This makes no sense at all to me. Last summer without the vaccine we were all let out to play and there was no second wave until the late autumn.

This year by July / August everyone will have had a vaccine and its summer. So how can there possibly be a third wave unless the flaming vaccines dont work or they are expecting a variant that the vaccines wont work on.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2021-04-07 10:42 AM

This makes no sense at all to me. Last summer without the vaccine we were all let out to play and there was no second wave until the late autumn.

This year by July / August everyone will have had a vaccine and its summer. So how can there possibly be a third wave unless the flaming vaccines dont work or they are expecting a variant that the vaccines wont work on.

It makes perfect sense *-) ...........

Flu viruses are not so virulent in the warmer months ........So it made sense to let folk out to play ;-) ........

The 2nd wave was always on the cards just as the 3rd wave is.....Coz no vaccine is a 100% effective :-| ..........

The difference is Brexit Blighty thanks to BORIS is in a much better position to ride out the wave than the incompetent EU B-) ..........

Who are at risk of a Tsunami 8-) .............

New variants coupled with people placing a over reliance on vaccines.

4,000 died in Brazil yesterday alone, the original Brazil variant is already mutating and seems to affect the young as well as the old.

All we need now is some right wing politicians screaming that all businesses and international travel should resume immediately. Step forward prominent Brexiteers etc who don't like listening to experts.

Chile has vaccinated more people than almost any other nation but have been hit with a new surge which is putting them back in lockdown.

The surge is, apparently, being blamed on relaxed social distancing.

The big risk now seems to be from variants ?

( Note for Dave : Chile is not in the EU ).

:-(

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2021-04-07 12:16 PM

Chile has vaccinated more people than almost any other nation but have been hit with a new surge which is putting them back in lockdown.

Yeah I know where it is ;-) ...........I've been there :D ........

Some may blame it on relaxed social distancing :-| ........

The truth is more likely to be that they were sold Chinese Crap *-) .........

"However, the UK and Chilean populations have been given a very different mix of vaccines. While Pfizer has been offered in both countries, the bulk of vaccinations in Britain have been AstraZeneca (not available in Chile) and the bulk of vaccinations in Chile have been Sinovac. According to the Chilean Ministry of Finance, by 3 March the country had taken delivery of 10 million Sinovac doses and only 700,000 Pfizer doses.

Of all vaccines in use in the world, Sinovac is the one with the least impressive and most inconsistent results. A Brazilian study in January suggested that it had an efficacy rate in preventing symptomatic illness of 50.4 per cent, way below the 95 per cent reported for Pfizer and 76 per cent measured for AstraZeneca in its recent US trial."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-is-vaccinated-chile-locking-down-again-

We'll soon find out the truth.........

pelmetman - 2021-04-07 12:51 PM

You may know where it is - I was just letting you know it's not in the EU.

;-)

pepe63 - 2021-04-07 10:00 AM

Yes, it stands to reason that having been in various degrees of "lockdown" for many months, when restrictions do lift then some degree of increase in infections is to be expected.

Let's just hope that the current crop of vaccinations are enough to protect us against what may be coming around the corner...?

On the subject of restrictions easing- It seems crazy to me, when we have not been able to mix with our mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, Grandchildren etc for many months, that the media is now full of items bleating about needing tests etc when going on/returning from "foreign holidays"!?...are people really that stupid??

How much "virus" was brought in by those who came scuttling back, unchecked, into the UK, last year? *-)

Spot on Pepe and the answer is 'yes they are' and some unhinged loons even take to a forum to boast about it. 8-)

Particularly the Kent variant which is highly lethal. I seem to remember a certain fm gloating only a few days over the EU facing a third wave yet now we're about to face the same, he's left with egg on his face.

(I see your post attracted another Fairy Story from the Tales of Pinocchio) *-)

malc d - 2021-04-07 1:26 PM

pelmetman - 2021-04-07 12:51 PM

You may know where it is - I was just letting you know it's not in the EU.

;-)

He googled where is Chili and got linked to a restaurant.

He's been there as well btw. :-|

CurtainRaiser - 2021-04-07 10:59 AM

4,000 died in Brazil yesterday alone, the original Brazil variant is already mutating and seems to affect the young as well as the old.

All we need now is some right wing politicians screaming that all businesses and international travel should resume immediately. Step forward prominent Brexiteers etc who don't like listening to experts.

If thats the case then the vaccines seem pretty pointless If a new variant is going to come along that overrides them every few months. Back to square one. It still seems odd to me though that they are predicting a third wave in the middle of summer. As said none of us had vaccines last summer and people were out mixing and cases only began to rise later in the year. Whats the point of a vaccine passport then if they are not stopping you spreading the disease or you might be carrying a new variant?

Really the only way to get on top of it if thats even remotely possible is to get the entire world vaccinated pretty much at the same time against whatever variants are currently available otherwise its like herding fish.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2021-04-07 4:48 PM

If thats the case then the vaccines seem pretty pointless If a new variant is going to come along that overrides them every few months. Back to square one. It still seems odd to me though that they are predicting a third wave in the middle of summer. As said none of us had vaccines last summer and people were out mixing and cases only began to rise later in the year. Whats the point of a vaccine passport then if they are not stopping you spreading the disease or you might be carrying a new variant?

Really the only way to get on top of it if thats even remotely possible is to get the entire world vaccinated pretty much at the same time against whatever variants are currently available otherwise its like herding fish.

More pathetic scaremongering *-) ............

The Flu mutates every year ;-) ........

I suspect we will get a 3rd jab in the Autum, prolly even mixed in with the flu jab B-) ........

The biggest task for the scientists is trying to second guess which variant will be the most virulant this winter :-| .............

I wonder if it turns out to be a EU mutant whether we will hear the same anti British histrionics as we have with the Italian/Kent variant? *-) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-04-08 8:07 AM

I suspect we will get a 3rd jab in the Autum, prolly even mixed in with the flu jab B-) ........

The biggest task for the scientists is trying to second guess which variant will be the most virulant this winter :-| .............

I wonder if it turns out to be a EU mutant whether we will hear the same anti British histrionics as we have with the Italian/Kent variant? *-) ..........

The Flu is nowhere near as serious as Covid 19 though is it and we dont suffer national lockdown because of it. It takes six months to vaccinate the entire adult population if we go on the current vaccine roll out. If there is a new Variant thats immune to the vaccine it will take firstly a month or two to create a new vaccine for it and then half a year to vaccinate everyone again by which time it will be summer again.

An EU Mutant you say? What? Do you think the next variant will come from a building in Brussels? You talk about anti British Histrionics. (lol) You need help.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2021-04-08 10:09 AM

The Flu is nowhere near as serious as Covid 19 though is it and we dont suffer national lockdown because of it. It takes six months to vaccinate the entire adult population if we go on the current vaccine roll out. If there is a new Variant thats immune to the vaccine it will take firstly a month or two to create a new vaccine for it and then half a year to vaccinate everyone again by which time it will be summer again.

An EU Mutant you say? What? Do you think the next variant will come from a building in Brussels? You talk about anti British Histrionics. (lol) You need help.

If the Flu is not serious why have folk of a certain age had the Flu jab for DECADES??? *-) .......

What TF did your Dad teach you at your posh school apart from how to be a Limp Lefty entitled Liberal? ;-) ......

pelmetman - 2021-04-08 6:46 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-04-08 10:09 AM

If the Flu is not serious why have folk of a certain age had the Flu jab for DECADES??? *-) .......

What TF did your Dad teach you at your posh school apart from how to be a Limp Lefty entitled Liberal? ;-) ......

Yes its serious to some older people but its nowhere near as serious or deadly as Covid which is ten times more likely to kill you plus many suffer long term effects (long covid) and one in eight that return to hospital months down the line will die. There is no comparison. Also as said its mainly the old that require Flu Jabs, the entire population will require Covid jabs if a new variant emerges that the current vaccines dont work on. An impossible task. It just takes too long.

At least I had a decent education. Did you even go to school?

Archived