This is too clever for me!

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

So far 47 people have looked at this and no one seems to be able to tell me how it's done?

And I thought that I was the daftest bu**er on here?

J9withdogs - 2009-07-05 1:25 PM

Easy when you know how :D

I always remember when I worked in the bank and, if my till didn't balance by a number that was a multiple of 9, there was probably a transposed number somewhere in my calculations.

No-one in present-day banking would have a clue what you're on about, Janine, but I remember this too (Midland Bank, Manchester area, late 60s)! We had to add up long columns of figures and get them right, as although there were a few calculating machines in the branch, they were for last-resort cross-checking only - in other words, when you'd already cocked up! They were in sight of the Branch Accountant's box, and he'd frown at you over his glasses and want to know why you'd used a machine!

To this day I can add up accurately in my head - impresses the heck out of checkout operators when I tell them how much the bill will be, or just have the right money in my hand already!

And before any of the lower orders around here start to get funny about our (sorry MY) age, we DID have ball point pens and electric lighting, and most branches even had bullet-proof glass on the counters!

Tony Jones - 2009-07-06 8:59 AM

and most branches even had bullet-proof glass on the counters!

They still have it today Tony but this time it is to protect the customers from being shot by bank staff when they come in and ask to 'Withdraw' money :D

Archived