Thought Nissan Sunderland Was Shutting Down ...

Birdbrain

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-22 7:59 PM

All great right up to the point that the British government subsidise the new battery plant as they have privately promised Nissan, thereby breaching the level playing field obligations and leading to the introduction of tariffs.

Nissan will realise that they too have been sold a pup, just like the fishermen and the hauliers.

So Nissan aint shutting down ??? ... Chuckle ... Crikey, dare I reply to you ... Now you know my address you might follow through with that terrorist bomb threat ... Will you give me a ten minute warning before you set it off ???

Barryd999 - 2021-01-22 9:53 PM

I seem to remember Nissan warning that if the UK left without a deal that there position was unsustainable. We left with a deal. A crap deal but a deal all the same.

Exactly

Birdbrain either didn't listen, or is making things up as usual.

Plenty of other businesses will have to follow this one to the EU

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/cheshire-cheesemaker-says-business-left-with-250000-brexit-hole

unless the EU renegotiates BoJo's crap (for us) deal - and why would they when they are fed up of negotiations and have already got the best deal with UK businesses having to relocate there, employ people there, and pay their taxes there, just to stay in business.

John52 - 2021-01-23 10:42 AM

Barryd999 - 2021-01-22 9:53 PM

I seem to remember Nissan warning that if the UK left without a deal that there position was unsustainable. We left with a deal. A crap deal but a deal all the same.

Exactly

Birdbrain either didn't listen, or is making things up as usual.

Plenty of other businesses will have to follow this one to the EU

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/cheshire-cheesemaker-says-business-left-with-250000-brexit-hole

unless the EU renegotiates BoJo's crap (for us) deal - and why would they when they are fed up of negotiations and have already got the best deal with UK businesses having to relocate there, employ people there, and pay their taxes there, just to stay in business.

Oven ready deal 1 and the new trade deal were both massively in the EUs favour. There is no need for the EU to change anything now. We however desperately need a deal on services which is 80% of our economy but the EU are not in a hurry to do that one for sure and the rest of our goods exports, especially fishing is in disarray.

Birdbrain - 2021-01-23 1:28 PM

Yes ... I can see where the confusion is ... Remain mouthpiece Alistair was quite clear ...

... All my mistake ... As usual

Do all remainers support what just one remainer said? Nissan made it clear. No deal was unsustainable. We left with a deal and according to the Torygraph in 2019 the government bunged Nissan a shed load of money and other promises. £200 million was rumoured back then, God knows what else they have had.

The deal we struck commits us to various regulations such as UNECE WP20 standards which forces British Automotive regulations to be in line with EU regulations (More rule taking).

So much for Johnson's claim in his Christmas Eve speech that: "We have taken back control of every jot and tittle of our regulation, in a way that is complete and unfettered".

This article from Autotrader explains what has happened and what it means for automotive and what the difference between us leaving with a deal and what we have now means.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/explainer-what-brexit-deal-means-car-manufacturers

"In the event of a no-deal Brexit, the UK would have traded with the EU as a “most preferred nation” under World Trade Organization rules so would have incurred tariffs of 10% on cars and 2-4% on their individual components, amounting to an estimated £2800 premium on an EU-built car for UK buyers. Under the terms of the deal now agreed, tariffs are imposed only on products that fail to meet ‘rule of origin’ requirements and no quotas have been imposed."

John52 - 2021-01-23 2:37 PM

We are talking about promises made by the Prime Minister

You are talking about.... :-o

You are "talking about" what you want to talk about on a thread I started ... I'm "talking about" what I want to talk about on a thread I started or is that not now even allowed in your brave new Chatterbox world ???

Barryd999 - 2021-01-23 2:40 PM

according to the Torygraph in 2019 the government bunged Nissan a shed load of money and other promises. £200 million was rumoured back then, God knows what else they have had.

Its breathtaking how much of our money BoJo can give away without telling us.

I can't understand why there isn't more anger about it.

Birdbrain - 2021-01-23 3:13 PM

You are "talking about" what you want to talk about on a thread I started ... I'm "talking about" what I want to talk about on a thread I started or is that not now even allowed in your brave new Chatterbox world ???

Apparently its necessary to spell it out

I am talking about promises made by the Prime Minister.

You are talking about a twitter comment made by someone who isn't even an MP

As I recall just an ex spin doctor to Tory Bliar.

Barryd999 - 2021-01-23 2:40 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-23 1:28 PM

Yes ... I can see where the confusion is ... Remain mouthpiece Alistair was quite clear ...

... All my mistake ... As usual

Do all remainers support what just one remainer said? Nissan made it clear. No deal was unsustainable. We left with a deal and according to the Torygraph in 2019 the government bunged Nissan a shed load of money and other promises. £200 million was rumoured back then, God knows what else they have had.

The deal we struck commits us to various regulations such as UNECE WP20 standards which forces British Automotive regulations to be in line with EU regulations (More rule taking).

So much for Johnson's claim in his Christmas Eve speech that: "We have taken back control of every jot and tittle of our regulation, in a way that is complete and unfettered".

This article from Autotrader explains what has happened and what it means for automotive and what the difference between us leaving with a deal and what we have now means.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/explainer-what-brexit-deal-means-car-manufacturers

"In the event of a no-deal Brexit, the UK would have traded with the EU as a “most preferred nation” under World Trade Organization rules so would have incurred tariffs of 10% on cars and 2-4% on their individual components, amounting to an estimated £2800 premium on an EU-built car for UK buyers. Under the terms of the deal now agreed, tariffs are imposed only on products that fail to meet ‘rule of origin’ requirements and no quotas have been imposed."

£200 million??? Chuckle ... We spaff billions of £££ away each year in foreign aid on chancers and your whinging about a poxy £200 million ... Hate on sweet cheeks

John52 - 2021-01-24 8:12 PM

Thats twice youve mentioned our PMs "promises" ... Can you show me just one of those "promises" he made please??? ... Might make your point a little more valid

Birdbrain - 2021-01-24 8:18 PM

John52 - 2021-01-24 8:12 PM

Thats twice youve mentioned our PMs "promises" ... Can you show me just one of those "promises" he made please??? ... Might make your point a little more valid

Take your pick.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/01/johnson-first-100-days-broken-promises-unlawful-prorogation

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-broken-manifesto-election-promises-2019-11?r=US&IR=T

Archived