Thread content

Mike Parke

Sad person that I am I have spent most of the past two nights whilst 'at work' reading most of the threads on this forum & 'Motorhome matters'. It seems to me as though there were much more 'lively' threads on the forum months ago then today. A lot of regular contributors appear to have 'vanished' and the subject matter seems somewhat 'weak'. Is it me or does anyone else feel that is the case? (Which I offer as an 'observation' and not a 'criticism')

Aside from the thread content...(although I do agree), maybe the people vanishing thing is 'cos they are out in their m/hs... plus the fact everyone has a life outside of their pc. ( I think...)

I for one go through spates of contributing, then of becoming obsessed with something else in my life before reverting back again.... butterfly syndrome Bruce calls it.....

Speaking for myself, I got very upset when we had the hit-and-run campaign by undesirables a couple of months ago.

It did make me wonder why I was bothering to talk to virtual 'people' who were hell-bent on insulting me.

I now 'chat' on the Saga forum, where everyone (well, nearly everyone) is much more friendly!

The trouble with 'lively' is that it can become abusive. That no doubt puts a lot of people off contrbuting.

Not sure what Mike means by 'weak' threads - I just find some are interesting and some are not.

Roon: No need to be paranoid - just stand up straight and assert yourself !

;-) ;-)

HEY, you cheeky lot! BUZZ OFF! - (that's me asserting myself :-D )

Agree, that some of the 'heavy' threads cease to be interesting and become abusive, since very few people accept that we all have different points of view and should be allowed to express them. Thinking differently isn't always thinking incorrectly ..... and is usually based on our own life experiences. I don't bother arguing because in the small space that we are allotted to our posting, you can't really put your point of view over completely or argue every point that is raised against you ... so why waste precious time..

Tony Jones - 2008-06-15 3:23 PM

malc d - 2008-06-15 12:31 PM

Roon: No need to be paranoid - just stand up straight and assert yourself !

;-) ;-)

Joy's been trying to stand up ever since she put up that avatar, and she's still horizontal! :D

Tony

And I thought it was 'cos we were in Spain and had supped too much sangria that she was all askew....

peter - 2008-06-15 9:38 PM

The Saga Forum!...Oh my god, now I know you're getting on a bit. It must be desperate on here Janine. :D

'Saga' has a brand problem. It's perceived as being for 'old' people, but in fact is even for youngsters.

;-) ;-)

The Saga Forum!...Oh my god, now I know you're getting on a bit. It must be desperate on here Janine. :D

Say what you like, Peter - it's possible to have an intelligent conversation on there without people taking the mick!

I don't think it been the mickey taking that put people off contributing.

More the rudeness of some who were downright insulting and antagonistic, picking on any and every error in grammar, content and opinion. I found myself getting abuse for the expressions and opinions I put here, many of which were in light hearted vein.

Mike.

Over time I gained the impression that there was a degree of unpleasantess on this Forum and I largely lost interest, reducing visits to occasionally rather than several times per day.

I tend to post infrequently and with a degree of circumspection as I can do without generating a stinging rebuke - I visit here for fun after all, not a fight. Likewise I open only those threads of obvious value to me rather than all out of general interest.

Part of the problem could be with the media itself in that, like e-mail, a post can appear a blunt instrument and give offence where none was intended - note the number of apologies which appear in threads! The fact that the site locks out the post from changes after 30 minutes may be a contibutory factor as someone posting in the heat of the moment will find it impossible to change on reflection. I know I am stating the obvious when I say that people sometimes say things electronically when normal good manners (and self-preservation?) would moderate their words, tone or body language across a dinner table or in a pub.

IMHO this forum is still an exceptionally good reservoir of motorhome facts and sagely advice and there are numerous kind souls who are unstinting in their welcome, support and encouragement of new motorhomers and that still makes it invaluable to me.

Bob

Agree to a point. I put up a thread the other week about policing fuel dispute convoy and that degenerated into what I called 'an E-fight'. I use it ( the forum) mainly to pass away excessive down time during night shift but if there is something I comment on I (hope!) I will make it clear that I am citing my opinion alone and not forcing my views on to others who hold differing ones!

Cannot please, though, all of the people all of the time!

With apologies to President A. Lincoln.

Hi Mike,

I've just sat and read that thread you refer to, interesting point - sad to see that 'topic divergence' took it over to such a great extent.

It's also sad that the most innocuous threads can be hijacked by people who've apparently been on 'narky beer' - and degenerate into name calling and abuse. There are a lot of trolls out there - spoiling for a fight - shame.

I do think that sometimes it would be good to edit out flames after the 30 minute deadline set by mods - perhaps the no edi rule could be extended to an hour??

One way to keep the chit chat area alive without falling out is to run various word games - they seem to have died out on here just lately.

I'm online 'cos group B seems to be cut and dried now - and the Twenty/20 was a bit of a foregone conclusion as well. ah well Wimbledon - then Olympics.

That could be an incendiary thread - should the Olympics be in Beijing??

>:-) >:-) >:-) >:-) >:-)

B-)

J9withdogs - 2008-06-15 10:45 AM

Speaking for myself, I got very upset when we had the hit-and-run campaign by undesirables a couple of months ago.

It did make me wonder why I was bothering to talk to virtual 'people' who were hell-bent on insulting me.

I now 'chat' on the Saga forum, where everyone (well, nearly everyone) is much more friendly!

Had a quick look last night, I have never seen a thread title as abusive anywhere else as on that site!

Guest peter
J9withdogs - 2008-06-15 10:04 PM

Say what you like, Peter - it's possible to have an intelligent conversation on there without people taking the mick!

Yes! But where's the fun in that. I have intelligent conversations all day at work. I come on here for a good laugh and a bit of fun. Plus the odd serious interlude on M.H Matters. :D

peter - 2008-06-16 10:32 PM

Yes! But where's the fun in that. I have intelligent conversations all day at work. I come on here for a good laugh and a bit of fun. Plus the odd serious interlude on M.H Matters. :D

I work from home so don't have the advantage of speaking to real people all day.

Personally I can't see the fun in posting something on a forum if you know that you are going to be insulted.

J9withdogs - 2008-06-16 11:10 PM

peter - 2008-06-16 10:32 PM

I work from home so don't have the advantage of speaking to real people all day.

Personally I can't see the fun in posting something on a forum if you know that you are going to be insulted.

It would seem that some people on here think that insulting people IS fun.

( That's the problem).

:-(

QUOTE: Colin, Yes, I 'surfed' Saga last night and if we are talking about the same thread I was surprised that it was not covered by the Obscene Publications Act' !!!

-----

Regards, Mike end quote

Sorry, being nosey now.... what was it? I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering .... :$

Archived