Throw Away Society

Tracker

Our Bosch Athlet cordless vacuum cleaner has worked faultlessly for almost 4 years - until now when it has developed a charging fault. I spoke to a Bosch engineer at length describing what happens and he diagnosed a faulty battery pack.

The chances are that it is only one of the number of cells making up the battery pack, but they don't test or supply the cells individually - only as a pack at a cost of £218.

Currys have a similar new model Athlet on offer at half price, £149 with a two year warranty. No brainer!

This kind of scenario typifies the throw away society we live in and if the human race is ever to start taking the waste of resources seriously something needs to change.

Hi Rich.

If you fancy having a bit of a fettle with it yourself, it may be worth you just having a quick look on the likes of Youtube..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6pdj6Wng6s etc?

I agree about the "throw away" society bit . Unfortunately as well not be designed to be repaired, a good many things are being produced so cheaply now, in many cases it just isn't viable for them to be repaired "professionally" anyway..

And even if they could be repaired, for many folk an - easy come,easy go- mindset prevails, so with a few taps on the screen of their phones, a new one turns up on the doorstep next day!

If I were world ruler (!) all such products would have to come with a 5 year guarantee minimum, that would shake up the manufacturers. Need to stop this built in obsolescence, many products just aren't designed to be repaired. Tried recently to fix an electric saw, couldn't even find a way to begin to take it apart to find the fault, seemed to be a moulded casing.

Thanks, I saw the video and got it apart easily enough but as it still works after a fashion I baulked at getting the batteries out and trying to establish whether it was the batteries or the electronics that was failing.

Seven Samsung batteries at about £6 each tempted me but if it is the electronics, Bosch irritatingly do not sell the circuit board without the batteries and I figured I would need to replace either batteries or board to isolate the fault.

Bosch 'service' like so many other companies these days is built upon cost savings, theirs not ours, where a trained monkey can replace a module but the expertise and diagnostics to diagnose the real fault appears no longer to exist.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2020-04-23 12:33 PM

Our Bosch Athlet cordless vacuum cleaner has worked faultlessly for almost 4 years - until now when it has developed a charging fault. I spoke to a Bosch engineer at length describing what happens and he diagnosed a faulty battery pack.

The chances are that it is only one of the number of cells making up the battery pack, but they don't test or supply the cells individually - only as a pack at a cost of £218.

Currys have a similar new model Athlet on offer at half price, £149 with a two year warranty. No brainer!

This kind of scenario typifies the throw away society we live in and if the human race is ever to start taking the waste of resources seriously something needs to change.

I bought our last "Hoover" at a auction in Louth for 12 quid ;-) .........

Hopefully it'll still work when it comes out of storage :D ........

Our camper vacuum cleaner was inherited from my old man 6 years ago.........the hose is slowly getting shorter as it splits with age 8-) ........

I don't throw much away if I can help it B-) ........

Birdbrain - 2020-04-23 4:32 PM

I know a fella who knows a fella who can get cheap electrical gear ... PM me

I knew a bloke like that but sadly he had an accident.

He fell off the back of a waggon. :D

747 - 2020-04-23 5:44 PM

I knew a bloke like that but sadly he had an accident.

He fell off the back of a waggon. :D

Hope he landed as softly and undamaged as the gear does!

jumpstart - 2020-04-23 5:38 PM

Yes you’ve already said and stolen masks and stolen gel, anything else you want to admit to?

"admit to" ... Ask away princess and if its true I will admit to it ... It seems to mean a lot to you

Barryd999 - 2020-04-23 5:38 PM

Not one of your NHS friends again? 8-)

Actually some of the electrical gear I buy totally legit from the the NHS still has the NHS stickers on it ... Why I have to go to the back doors to pick it up though I just dont know and I never get a receipt which is pretty annoying

Archived