Time to go back to cash?

colin

Three of our local garages have been targeted be card cloning fraudsters, the banks asurances of the security of new chip and pin have been proved to be rubbish (to put it politely). A friend went to bank to sort out his problems and they tried all sorts to wriggle out of it, even claiming it was himself who was withdrawing the money, as they where looking at screen checking withdrawals a new one appeared! The banks now don't report 'small' theft's from accounts and police arn't interested, what a complete mess. I supose the banks may next go route of biometric checks, but how long before that is cracked. At this rate we will be going back to cash under the mattress 8-)

Guest caraprof

So, go back to using cash if you really want to, there's nothing stopping you. I suspect though that your experiment will last about a week.

The truth is that credit cards or debit cards are an incredible convenience, cost the user nothing if used sensibly and that fraud, whilst a problem, affects a very tiny minority.

People will always try to find new scams and the banks will continue to try to thwart them and ultimately, despite the odd exception, it's the bank that ends up paying.

Whilst credit cards have a very tiny chance of fraud, what do you think will happen if we all start to carry wads of cash around with us? It's obvious that robberies will go up, with the attendant risk of being injured. At least no one bashes you on the head to clone your credit card!

caraprof - 2007-05-06 5:25 PM So, go back to using cash if you really want to, there's nothing stopping you. I suspect though that your experiment will last about a week. The truth is that credit cards or debit cards are an incredible convenience, cost the user nothing if used sensibly and that fraud, whilst a problem, affects a very tiny minority. People will always try to find new scams and the banks will continue to try to thwart them and ultimately, despite the odd exception, it's the bank that ends up paying. Whilst credit cards have a very tiny chance of fraud, what do you think will happen if we all start to carry wads of cash around with us? It's obvious that robberies will go up, with the attendant risk of being injured. At least no one bashes you on the head to clone your credit card!

I agree about not carrying large amounts of cash around, these days it's just not practical and could even be in some circumstances dangerous.

What I find interesting is that we all use credit/debit cards on a daily basis, in supermarkets, stores, restaurants, garages and on-line, yet the concern at the moment is centred around garages.

There are two possibilities, the first is that it's easier for thieves to tamper with the "pay at pump" machines and the second could be collusion with the forecourt attendants.

For these reasons, I never use "pay at pump" machines and when I pay inside the kiosk, I never lose sight of my credit card.

Well ,

I certainly learnt alot watching Tevor Mcdonald the other night .

This guy in some department store had a magnetic card reader stuffed under his carrier bags on his till. everyone gave their card to him well why wouldn't you . He swiped it first swiped it properly and then took your number as you keyed it in and made a list of it. :-(

Guest Syd

Had my card stolen in France, cancelled it before 9.30am that morning but it had already been used.

Approached Halifax Bank when the statement came through and without any questions at all they agreed that a new statement would be sent out, they even pointed out that the interest charged in the foriegn withdrawals would be dropped also.

Seems I was lucky then

Maybe 'going back to cash' was a bit tongue in cheek, as I have been a credit card user for around 30 years, but there is around £500million a year of card fraud, and growing fast. We all pay for it, every transaction is subject to a 2% charge to cover admin etc. including covering cost of fraud, personnaly I get 0.5% repayed to me. And it is not unsual for people to be mugged for their chip and pin after being observed using number, as for us 'clever' :-S people who remember to hide the keyboard its not a problem, but for older people who tend to get confused its not good.

It's all very scary, we are planning to full time end of the year and are now preparing separate accounts so there is not much in one of them at any given time, but it will be regularly topped up so we don't find ourselves with no money, hopefully if we are victims of fraud that way we won't loose our life saving!!!

Guest Syd

If you loose everything don't rely on Visa to "Western Union" you some money because without full identification papers you can only draw $500 per day in France and even then there are a couple of hoops to jump through.

We were robbed at night as we slept in our caravan because we committed a combination of well know errors the main one being

We kept all of our money and documents in one place. DONT DO THAT.

We know now that our caravan door was not secure from the OUTSIDE.

Most people have no problems at all so enjoy your holiday but be extra careful on any Aires

Archived